Re: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED - Command and Conquer Remastered

by EA_Darko

Original Post

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED - Command and Conquer Remastered

★★★ Novice

I am experiencing the following error message at random times when I try to play C&C Remastered:

Video Card Driver Crash Detected!

ERROR DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

I have tried multiple registry edits that are suggested, driver updates/rollbacks, and nothing works. Here are the machine specs:

HP Spectre x360

11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7

16GB RAM

Intel Iris Xe integrated graphics.

The game runs smoothly and beautifully, until the crash occurs. It usually seems to happen when I try to bring up a menu by hitting the ESC key, but it has happened and multiple other times as well. The game is unplayable. 

Message 1 of 17 (9,213 Views)

Hero
@Bucket_H60 I think this is related to Windows power settings. Make sure to always make sure the power plan is set to "maximum performance" on the video card, otherwise Windows may do stuff internally that the game equates to you unplugging the video card it was using.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 17 (9,189 Views)

★★★ Novice

No such luck. I manually adjusted power settings for windows as a whole, as well as for the discrete C&C Remastered app. Crashed immediately upon loading a saved game in both cases. Is there some other power setting I might be missing?

Message 3 of 17 (9,181 Views)

★★★ Novice

Still no fix. I've worked every solution available, with no luck. The game will run perfectly for some periods, but generally crashes when first opening a saved game, hitting ESC to bring up a menu, or whenever the GUI is brought up. If I'm lucky enough to get the gameplay to start working, as long as I don't interrupt it by trying to pause or bring up a menu, it will work flawlessly at maximum graphics settings. 

Seems like a bug. 

Message 4 of 17 (9,105 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Bucket_H60 the error you are seeing is one relating to your GPU, the best thing to do is a clean install of your GPU drivers. 

You also need to ensure that you:

• Turn on vsync
  • Perform a clean boot before attemting to play the game
  • Ensure you have power supply capable of meeting the demands of your hardware while it is under heavy gaming load
  • Set all in game graphics settings to low in order to reduce the stress on your GPU.
  • Set the high performance preset in your GPU control panel, as opposed to the high quality preset.
  • Run your video card at stock speeds (memory and core). This is also important for players with factory overclocked cards. This will require some third party software such as EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner etc

Darko

Darko.png
Message 5 of 17 (9,080 Views)

★★★ Novice

Darko, 

Thanks for the reply. I have done every one of the items you recommend, with no positive result. 

If it means anything, the error message never occurs during gameplay unless it is in a transitional state, such as loading a game, starting/ending a mission, or hitting ESC or selecting a menu. It occurs almost every time one of those things happens. 

When gameplay is functional, it performs perfectly, even at the highest performance settings. 

Message 6 of 17 (9,057 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Bucket_H60, as this error is a GPU related one then I would recommend contacting the support for your GPU for further assistance

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 7 of 17 (9,052 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Darko Same here, I have Razer Book 13 i7, Iris XE, Game crashes every time I am trying to load or start. Btw, the first install it has worked but then started crashing. I have also Blade Stealth and on Nvidia it is working but on Iris Xe not. Please have a look and maybe issue update.
Message 8 of 17 (8,998 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @zasosa if seeing the error about device removed then please try the steps I posted above to see if they help.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 9 of 17 (8,966 Views)

★ Novice

I have the same problem as listed by OP. Also read on Intel that they can't reproduce the error and they tell you to contact the game developer. I have a Asus Prime H570 Plus with Intel UHD 750 GPU intergrated. I've tried all provided solution but no go. I can run 3D Mark without any problems so I don't think it's a hardware problem. I haven't got the same error in any other games I've played nor within Windows or anything. So this clearly is a problem with the C&C Remastered.

Message 10 of 17 (7,569 Views)