Re: Privacy Concerns over Burnout Paradise Remastered and "Mugshots"

by EA_Barry

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Privacy Concerns over Burnout Paradise Remastered and "Mugshots"

★★ Novice

I am getting a bit concerned reading about the "mugshot" feature, which apparently can automatically capture pictures with your PS4 camera and show them to online opponents.

It is not mentioned in the EULA or the online manual, but is mentioned on https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/burnout-paradise-remastered-ps4/

"Wreck your friends online and collect their mugshots,"

Reading about the feature in the original game leaves me with the impression that the user have little control of this feature which was enabled by default.

If that is true, it would seem like a huge privacy concern. Not only for this game, but for the PS4 camera in general.

I tried chat-support first, but was directed to this forum instead.

So I was hoping to get an answer here: Does Burnout capture and upload photos without explicit user consent, and does EA and Sonys privacy policies allow for that?

Message 1 of 8 (2,030 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@Vreki@Savgurl

Sorry for the delay in our response here. The mugshot feature isn't active in the remastered version. The only time the game takes your pic is for your own license but it is only saved locally and never uploaded. I hope this answers your concerns.

barry.png

View in thread

Message 6 of 8 (2,370 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Vreki

Let me try to find some info for you on this and related issues, thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 8 (2,026 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Is there any update on this? I actually want to know how to turn the feature on. My friend plugged in his ps4 cam, but when I took him down, it didn't send a mugshot.
Message 3 of 8 (1,905 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes, would it be possible to get an update?

I realize it is always busy after an release, but at least the technical part should be a simple yes/no answer.

My question regarding the privacy policies might be more complex, but I would expect those policies to be firmly in place since GDPR is about to hit the EU.

Thanks for looking onto this.

Message 4 of 8 (1,893 Views)

Community Manager

@Vreki@Savgurl

Apologies guys, I don not have an update on this just yet. As soon as I get a response to your inquiry, I will post again here.

barry.png
Message 5 of 8 (1,887 Views)

Community Manager

@Vreki@Savgurl

Sorry for the delay in our response here. The mugshot feature isn't active in the remastered version. The only time the game takes your pic is for your own license but it is only saved locally and never uploaded. I hope this answers your concerns.

barry.png
Message 6 of 8 (2,371 Views)

★★ Novice

Good to know.

Thanks for the answer.

Message 7 of 8 (1,769 Views)

Community Manager

@Vreki

Welcome.

barry.png