Spore won't start on a Windows XP vm

by blu_koolaid234

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Spore won't start on a Windows XP vm

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hi, I have a Windows XP SP3 32 bit virtual machine running. Fresh install, no programs except for Google Chrome. I  put in my Spore disc and installed it as normal, then once it was installed I tried to open it. I tried the desktop shortcut, and I also tried using the Sporebin/sporeapp.exe apps in both the EA/Spore location and on the Sporebin folder on the disc. Yet every time I try to open it I get the same message:

The game can not start

The game needs access to the internet in order to verify the ownership of this game. Please ensure that your computer is online and try again.

I have verified that my host PC is connected, and the virtual bridge from the host to the guest is intact and working. I was able to connect to the internet and download Google Chrome. I don't have any firewall or antivirus enabled. This is really bugging me, as I was going to use it as an example that Spore runs better on 32 bit systems than 64 bit systems. How do I fix this?

Message 1 of 7 (1,684 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Spore won't start on a Windows XP vm

★★★★ Novice

Sorry if I'm a bit late to the table. If you're using VirtualBox for this VM, you may want to consider trying VMWare Player instead. I've had tons of issues with the game in VirtualBox (including  probably-SecuROM-related stuff, not unlike like this issue if my memory serves me), but since switching to VMWare, I've had no such further issues. Performance is often better, too. The only catch is that VMWare Player doesn't support a macOS host OS (or atleast didn't last I checked), but if you're on Windows (or Linux, probably?), it should be fine...there is VMWare Fusion for macOS, but it's quite expensive (for comparison, Player is free for non-commercial use), and I have no idea if it behaves at all the same as VMWare Player does with regards to Spore.

View in thread

Message 5 of 7 (1,668 Views)

All Replies

Betreff: Spore won't start on a Windows XP vm

@blu_koolaid234  schrieb:

Hi, I have a Windows XP SP3 32 bit virtual machine running. Fresh install, no programs except for Google Chrome. I  put in my Spore disc and installed it as normal, then once it was installed I tried to open it. I tried the desktop shortcut, and I also tried using the Sporebin/sporeapp.exe apps in both the EA/Spore location and on the Sporebin folder on the disc. Yet every time I try to open it I get the same message:

The game can not start

The game needs access to the internet in order to verify the ownership of this game. Please ensure that your computer is online and try again.

I have verified that my host PC is connected, and the virtual bridge from the host to the guest is intact and working. I was able to connect to the internet and download Google Chrome. I don't have any firewall or antivirus enabled. This is really bugging me, as I was going to use it as an example that Spore runs better on 32 bit systems than 64 bit systems. How do I fix this?

Hi @blu_koolaid234

It may be possible that spore on a virtual machine is not running due to the securom.

You can do following steps

Browsing to this following folder and remove the*login.prop file.
Make sure:  The Application Data folder may be hidden
Navigate to the Tools menu and select Folder Options.
Click on the View tab and select Show hidden files and folders in the Advanced Settings box.

1. Double-click on My Computer
2. Double-click on the C: drive
3. Double-click on Documents and Settings
4. Double-click on your username
5. Double-click on Application Data
6. Double-click "Spore"
7. Double-click Preferences.
8. In this folder there will be a file login.prop, right click and delete this file*and launch Spore again

/Liz

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …
Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden.
❤️ TSTO - Die Simpsons Springfield
❤️ Sims Freeplay.. ❤️ Sims 2-3-4 auf MBP

Meine Sims 4 Geschichten und Kreationen 

Message 2 of 7 (1,662 Views)

★ Novice

@Freggi-Liz wrote:

1. Double-click on My Computer
2. Double-click on the C: drive
3. Double-click on Documents and Settings
4. Double-click on your username
5. Double-click on Application Data
6. Double-click "Spore"
7. Double-click Preferences.
8. In this folder there will be a file login.prop, right click and delete this file*and launch Spore again

Thank you for the reply, but I have looked inside of my Application Data folder and there does not appear to be a Spore directory. Was it installed wrong? Or is this because it hasn't properly launched and a directory wasn't made?

Message 3 of 7 (1,651 Views)

@blu_koolaid234,

Keep an eye under the directory of your virtual machine, if there was any installed with Spore

Instead of C take a look under your virtual machine..

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …
Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden.
❤️ TSTO - Die Simpsons Springfield
❤️ Sims Freeplay.. ❤️ Sims 2-3-4 auf MBP

Meine Sims 4 Geschichten und Kreationen 

Message 4 of 7 (1,639 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Sorry if I'm a bit late to the table. If you're using VirtualBox for this VM, you may want to consider trying VMWare Player instead. I've had tons of issues with the game in VirtualBox (including  probably-SecuROM-related stuff, not unlike like this issue if my memory serves me), but since switching to VMWare, I've had no such further issues. Performance is often better, too. The only catch is that VMWare Player doesn't support a macOS host OS (or atleast didn't last I checked), but if you're on Windows (or Linux, probably?), it should be fine...there is VMWare Fusion for macOS, but it's quite expensive (for comparison, Player is free for non-commercial use), and I have no idea if it behaves at all the same as VMWare Player does with regards to Spore.

Message 5 of 7 (1,669 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you, I will try this.

Message 6 of 7 (1,607 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I apologize, I'm not particularly familiar with this Answers HQ thing yet...I'm told my post was marked as an "Accepted Solution". Does that mean you tried it...and it worked?

Message 7 of 7 (1,592 Views)