Re: Spore will not launch on MacBook Pro

by Freggi-Liz

Original Post

Spore will not launch on MacBook Pro

★ Novice

A couple of days ago I downloaded and installed Spore through Origin. On launching it I accepted and installed all the patches (four in all if I remember correctly). When it was finally done patching I tried to launch the game but all I saw was the splash screen, which promptly disappeared. 

Followed the instructions here: https://help.ea.com/article/installing-spore-patch-5-1-for-mac. Still no luck, the splash screen disappeared after a few seconds and the game never launched.

Uninstalled and downloaded the whole thing again but this time declined the patches at startup. The splash screen is followed by a CIDER options window then just a blank, black screen. All I can do to quit it power off the Mac. 

The same computer runs The Sims 3 like a dream. Key specifications:

MacBook Pro (Retina 15"), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB, Mac OS X 10.8.3.

Really hoping EA/Origin are monitoring this forum since it seems to be my only support option and other similar questions exist but are unresolved.

Message 1 of 11 (5,239 Views)

★★★ Newbie

yes but have you instill it mine is asking fore a code you now

Message 2 of 11 (5,170 Views)

★★★ Newbie

A week later and no response from EA support / forum admin???  This UX absolutely blows...  worst software experience I have had in as long as I can remember.  I have lost at least 3 hours, my kids still waiting to play and nothing.  And I paid for this!!!

Message 3 of 11 (5,123 Views)

★★★ Newbie

A year later and I am in the same boat.  And I paid for it too.  EA is still in business right?

Message 4 of 11 (4,815 Views)

★★★ Novice

I also have this problem !

EA Games supports SUCK !

Message 5 of 11 (4,594 Views)

★★★ Newbie
BUT SERIOUSLY. HOW DO WE FIX THIS? EAGAMES #eagames LOOK AT THIS #lookatthis and #fixit #spore #macspore #sporeonmac #sporeformac #troubleshoot #customerservice #support #customersupport #help @eagames
Message 6 of 11 (4,494 Views)

Message 7 of 11 (4,484 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the exact same problem

Message 8 of 11 (3,325 Views)

@zuccdaddy wrote:

I have the exact same problem

Hi @zuccdaddy

Have you tried to start the game over one of the cider exce, please visit our Mac Guide

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bugs-Technical-Issues/Read-before-posting-Spore-MASTER-FAQ-for-PC-amp-MAC/...

/Liz

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …
Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden.
❤️ TSTO - Die Simpsons Springfield
❤️ Sims Freeplay.. ❤️ Sims 2-3-4 auf MBP

Meine Sims 4 Geschichten und Kreationen 

Message 9 of 11 (3,311 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello all - I was having a similar problem with playing spore on my macbook pro. I had given up on the idea after struggling for too long - I thought I had deleted it. I got spore to launch (accidentally) and be functional by doing the following:

- Open Terminal

- Enter the 'ls' command

- Search through the files until you find spore, hit enter

- Let it run and get as far as it can get

- Minimize the window (for me I couldn't use my cursor, so command+shift+return)

- With Terminal STILL OPEN, reopen the spore window so that it isn't full screen

- Ta da! I can now play spore. 

Even though the game isn't fullscreen, it's good enough for me. I hope this works for anybody else running into these issues. 

Message 10 of 11 (2,958 Views)