Spore on Mac crashes at launch

by dawtiee

Original Post

Spore on Mac crashes at launch

★★ Novice

I had purchased Spore on Steam but they do not support the Mac version and I wasn't able to get my key from Steam. I missed the sale, so I just spent the full $20 on this game... for it to not work. I downloaded Origin, registered, etc, then began installing the game. I installed every update that popped up. When I launch the game, two Spore icons bounce in my dock for a few seconds, the splash image shows up and then the application crashes and the icons disappear from my dock.

Through my research, it looks like my game is not picking up the next patch it needs, 5.1, automatically from Origin. It also looks like EA is ignoring this issue completely. The recommendation is to download the patch manually-- but alas, this does not work and it will not patch my game for some reason. Then through "support" the only recommendation is to post in these forums instead of actually giving me access to a support employee. I'm not sure if it's the holidays or what, but EA has not been responding to recent complaints of similiar issues.

Long story short, I want a refund. I'm not about to waste any more time trying to fix something I paid for to work upon purchase. You don't go buy pants at full price just to have to stitch up holes. Thanks.

Message 1 of 13 (2,025 Views)

Re: Spore on Mac crashes at launch

★★★ Newbie

Im having the exact same issues as you are, its very frustrating. Unfortunatly, EA seems to be out for the holidays.  Their contact page said they will return on the 26th at 2am...until then, I think we're screwed. 

Message 2 of 13 (1,992 Views)

★★ Novice

I still haven't gotten a response, and it's the 26th now. It's ridiculous, I didn't pay for a product that doesn't work and this is clearly something that's been going on longer than just this week. Ugh. Frown

Message 3 of 13 (1,971 Views)

★★★ Newbie

What should I do here I ahve the exact same problem

Message 4 of 13 (1,965 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Why isn't EA getting in touch with us to sort out the problem?

We paid good money in good faith for a product that should work but doesn't, EA has a responsibility to us as the customers.

I hope you all get this issue sorted and have a lovely new year.

Message 5 of 13 (1,957 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm not sure. I still haven't received a response and I've tried looking for a way to contact someone directly but they make you jump through a ton of hoops. Very disappointed.

Thnak you, you as well! I'll stay on top of this until it gets solved.

Message 6 of 13 (1,951 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem… Someone's got the solution?

Message 7 of 13 (1,888 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I just bought it on origin for $10 and I'm having the same issue

Message 8 of 13 (1,864 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

hopefully this gets fixed soon

Message 9 of 13 (1,861 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Message 10 of 13 (1,859 Views)