Spore not supported on OSX catalina

by juswanplayspore

Original Post

Spore not supported on OSX catalina

★★★ Newbie

I just purchased spore for mac, tried to boot it up and now pretty disappointed to find out that it isn't compatible with my OS. I'm not going to install and use an older OS just to play spore. Is there anything else I can do?

Message 1 of 15 (7,780 Views)

Betreff: Spore not supported on OSX catalina

@juswanplayspore  Hi,

The game only runs on older macOS, but not on Catalina.

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …
Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden.
❤️ TSTO - Die Simpsons Springfield
❤️ Sims Freeplay.. ❤️ Sims 2-3-4 auf MBP

Meine Sims 4 Geschichten und Kreationen 

Message 2 of 15 (7,744 Views)

★★★ Newbie

But will it work on Catalina, that's the question.

Message 3 of 15 (7,589 Views)

@blueray193 wrote:

But will it work on Catalina, that's the question.

Nope,  because Catalina doesn't support 32 bit apps.

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …
Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden.
❤️ TSTO - Die Simpsons Springfield
❤️ Sims Freeplay.. ❤️ Sims 2-3-4 auf MBP

Meine Sims 4 Geschichten und Kreationen 

Message 4 of 15 (7,530 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Yeah, I'm hip. I have the same issue, it won't run on Catalina.

Does EA or someone look at these? Are they working on an update? Is there an update somewhere that I just haven't found? Do they even have a statement about this? Is there like a Spore blog somewhere?

This is a drag. I really feel I need a break from Civilization (damn, it's addictive), and I thought I'd pick Spore up again after several years. Seemed OK a month ago, then I installed Catalina, and there's one of the "no" symbols across the app icon. 

I note that the most recent posting in "Announcements" was last May. There are a couple of technical questions from September, but nothing I can find on Spore and Catalina, other than this post.

Message 5 of 15 (7,304 Views)

Re: Spore not supported on OSX catalina

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@juswanplaysporeIf you have Parallels Desktop, and enough disk space, and care about it enough, I believe you can create a MacOS VM in an earlier version to use older apps. Or you can find a used Mini. A pain in the ol' patoot, I know, but neither is uncommon.

It would be really nice to hear something from EA, tho...

Message 6 of 15 (7,295 Views)

★★ Novice
@Jeffmark23 How to create a MacOS VM using Parallels Desktop:
https://kb.parallels.com/en/124786
Message 7 of 15 (7,288 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@juswanplayspore I have just written the same thing, surprising!
Message 8 of 15 (7,269 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@juswanplayspore still an issue, just downloaded the game today and now I can't play it because of Catalina. I am so tired of developers not getting ready for Catalina, I have had multiple programs not work for this OS.

Please EA will you fix this issue?
Message 9 of 15 (6,903 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Liz_Lemler just figured out it has to do with it being a 32bit game which Catalina does not support. Nothing we can do to change that besides regressing back to Mojave. I have talked with support and they have no confirmation of a 64bit version in the near future. Although this has been confirmed for Sims3 it may be possible they will create a 64bit Spore if enough of us are interested in it.
Message 10 of 15 (6,898 Views)