Re: Spore Won't Open On Mac High Sierra

by eliangius

Original Post

Svar: Spore Won't Open On Mac High Sierra

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hi @Freggi-Liz

I managed to get SPORE to launch and run via the cider after I downloaded it through the Origin app. However now the Creepy and Cute Parts Pack also purchased via Origin isn't working. Also now that I know SPORE can run on my machine how do I get it do simply get SPORE to launch via the Origin application? 

Thank you for your dedication to the community.

-SacredFlan

Message 11 of 27 (3,411 Views)

@SacredFlan  schrieb:

Hi @Freggi-Liz

I managed to get SPORE to launch and run via the cider after I downloaded it through the Origin app. However now the Creepy and Cute Parts Pack also purchased via Origin isn't working. Also now that I know SPORE can run on my machine how do I get it do simply get SPORE to launch via the Origin application? 

Thank you for your dedication to the community.

-SacredFlan

@SacredFlan Thanks back for your great words, I'm touched. Standard smile

But I have bad news. Creepy and Cute Parts Pack is only available on PC platform, but not for Mac.

Origin recognizes which platform you are playing and therefore does not shown up the CC exe, mac used a dmg format

Hope this answer your question!

Cheers

Liz

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …
Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden.
❤️ TSTO - Die Simpsons Springfield
❤️ Sims Freeplay.. ❤️ Sims 2-3-4 auf MBP

Meine Sims 4 Geschichten und Kreationen 

Message 12 of 27 (3,402 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Thank you @Freggi-Liz . If that's the case than origin needs to change something. In the store, it shows that its Mac compatible. And regarding the use of SPORE, I should just stick to the cider?

Message 13 of 27 (3,388 Views)

@SacredFlan

Cool then this is new. 👍
Yes, stick it to Cider to give it a stable gaming  performance Standard smile

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …
Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden.

Message 14 of 27 (3,380 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

If you have a DVD or Windows PC, you can manually install C&C using the instructions here: http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/15/86334.page#4099333

Origin team was supposed to get that fixed but I don't think they ever got around to it. 

AFAIK root issue had something to do with the modern Origin installers not allowing the package file to be inserted into the game application file. The DVD version of the installer works fine though, as does manually copying the file. 

Message 15 of 27 (3,317 Views)

@Kyle_Necrowolf wrote:

If you have a DVD or Windows PC, you can manually install C&C using the instructions here: http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/15/86334.page#4099333

Origin team was supposed to get that fixed but I don't think they ever got around to it. 

AFAIK root issue had something to do with the modern Origin installers not allowing the package file to be inserted into the game application file. The DVD version of the installer works fine though, as does manually copying the file. 

hi @Kyle_Necrowolf

The author of the post wrote that he never tried it because he does not use a Mac. 

>On Mac the file needs to be in one of these folders (I don't have a Mac to test it out myself, try them one at a time) < 

This is a fatal mistake. Spore cannot be installed from a physical version  due to missing dmg. Mac  cannot open a exe file, right! Unless you use a bootcamp. I myself could never install it on my mac.

In addition, Appel no ​​longer supports 34 bit apps, which is spore. It will therefore be a big challenge in the near future spore on newer Mac systems and machines to install

/Liz

Message 16 of 27 (3,307 Views)

★★ Pro

All Spore DVDs include Mac installers alongside the Windows exe installers. For the base game and GA, they install the game inside of an emulator called Transgaming Cider, which emulates a Windows system and file structure. Therefore, Spore installs to the same directories inside of the emulator, as it would on a Windows system. 

As C&C is only a single file (BoosterPack01.package), the C&C installer just has to add this file to the game directory. The DVD includes both Windows exe and Mac installers to accomplish this. The modern Origin versions however, use a different installer that is only compatible with Windows. 

The parts pack itself is the same one file for all versions of Spore, for both Windows and Mac. 

As the Mac version of the game runs in a Windows emulator, the game directories mirror the Windows version of the game exactly. Therefore, the C&C file can be placed exactly in the same spot that it would be on a Windows system. Depending on how both the game and C&C were installed, this could be one of three locations - that is why i provided all three. 

I know for certain that installing from DVD works fine on a Mac (got a friend to test it, and also MaxisBazajaytee confirmed this on that same thread i linked), and I also know from another friend that manually placing the BoosterPack package file in the Spore\Data folder works fine - which it is always should, the game loads it's own data from this folder so it will always load package files placed here. 

I haven't had anyone test the other two paths yet, but I suspect now that they would only work if C&C had been previously installed. The reasoning for this is, the game seemingly uses the registry to determine where to load package files from (transgaming cider emulator does also emulate the windows registry as its used by Spore). If C&C has never been installed, the registry key will not exist and therefore the game will not know to look in the other two folders. I have not yet found a way to edit the emulated registry on the mac version. 

Message 17 of 27 (3,297 Views)

Thanks for teaching.

Ok I try that with the Cider Noui and will testing out today the other paths on High Sierra.

I let you know when it works.

Maybe it is also possible to use the DL of Origin, you might have to write a new directory in contents, because Origin uses the same path

\Liz

Message 18 of 27 (3,293 Views)

★ Guide

You can install the Creepy & Cute parts pack by using your DVD if you still have it. After the last uodate, EA/Maxis removed the macOS version from Origin saying it would be fixed in the following months, but it never happened. Since the game contents were not parched after the last update, installing it via DVD or just copying the BP1 package file to the install folder is enough. I’ve tested it, I played it.

Message 19 of 27 (3,280 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Spore Won't Open On Mac High Sierra

★★ Novice

I had to launch the game in cider_noui mode.

1. With a text editor open the game config file from its installation directory:
    /Users/<yourname>/Applications/SPORE.app/Content/Info.plists
  2. Change line #8 in the file that specifies how the game is launched to:
    <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
    <string>cider_noui</string>
  3. Save the file & launch SPORE from Origin or Spotlight.

Message 20 of 27 (13,956 Views)