Getting Started with Spore: Registering, installing and connecting to the Game

by arthrfrts

Original Post

Getting Started with Spore: Registering, installing and connecting to the Game

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Hi! I've seen that @Freggi-Liz is constantly answering people with login problems in Spore, so I want to help! They are mostly problems with people playing the disk version of the game or having problems with the Steam version, and the solutions are just the same.

I remember that back on the Sporums, SporeMaster Kyle published a very good guide on how to connect to the Spore servers after the 2016 server update. So I'm reposting it here with minor adjustments:

Buying and Downloading Spore

The main Spore game, and both expansions (Creepy & Cute parts pack, Galactic Adventure expansion pack) can be purchased from the following locations:

No matter where you purchase, you can always transfer your copy of Spore to Origin. See "Registering with Spore" below.

Spore was previously available on DVD. This version of the game is no longer receiving updates, and cannot play online. Please transfer it to Origin for online functionality, bug fixes, and added features for Spore and Galactic Adventures.

Registration

Creating a Spore Account

A Spore persona is needed to use online features for Spore.

Your Spore persona is linked to an EA/Origin account. Note that your Spore and Origin screen names may be different, depending on how you set up your account. Your Spore screen name cannot be changed, but you can add up to 5 personas per EA/Origin account at http://www.spore.com/view/screenNameManage

To create a Spore persona:

1. Load Spore
  2. On the screen that shows after the intro you will see three boxes at the bottom of the window
  3. Enter your EA/Origin account email and password in the first two boxes, then add the name you want to use in Spore on the right (you can add more through the website later)
  4. Click Register

Note: The email address and password you use at www.ea.com or other EA games is the same email and password you should use for Spore. If in doubt, go to www.origin.com and try to login with your email. If it exists, that is your account. If it doesn't, create an account with EA before loading Spore.

Registering Spore on Origin

If you purchased Spore on other services, and cannot register in-game, or simply need to download the game from Origin, follow these instructions.

1. Go to https://ea.com/ and log with your EA/Origin Account. email and password
  2. Go to https://myaccount.ea.com/cp-ui/redemption/index, you have to be logged on EA.com for this page to load correctly.
  3. Redeem your codes (Spore, Galactic Adventures, Creepy & Cute Parts Pack) codes from non-Origin locations
  4. IMPORTANT! For base game, make sure to redeem actual game and not the Spore Community Access.
  5. Run the game.
  6. Choose "Register" and log in with your EA Account email and password and pick your Spore persona

You can also redeem the codes from CD/DVD, Steam or GOG directly in Origin if you have it installed and if they haven't been attached to an account already.

If you get the message that your code has already been used, contact EA Support at https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/using-ea-help/ and have your serial code ready to give to the game advisor. They will be able to help you out.

Installing and updating the game

If you installed Spore from one of the three above services (Origin, Steam, GOG) after March 2017, you already have the latest version of the game. An updated game is required to access Sporepedia, the MySpore page and other online features.

If you're unable to login

• Check the Announcements sub-forum for maintenance notices from an EA Community Manager.
  • Make sure you have an updated version of the game.
  • If you are a new player and have not already registered successfully, register the game with Origin (see above).
  • Try logging into Spore.com with your EA email and password. If you cannot login to the forum, contact EA support.
  • If you can login on Spore.com, post a message in this board Help section.

Technical Help with the Game

If you encounter issues in-game, or are unable to launch the game, see @Freggi-Liz Master Help FAQ.

Further Questions

If you have further questions, here's where to go:

Help with the Spore game itself (technical issues, crashes, bugs encountered while playing the game):

Spore Master FAQ

Help with purchasing, downloading, or registering the game (including all Origin issues):

EA Help

Message 1 of 8 (48,308 Views)

Re: Getting Started with Spore: Registering, installing and connecting to the Ga

[ Edited ]

@arthrfrts  Thank you for a great guide. 👍

Add another good guide here

Spore for Steam (Solution)

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bugs-Technical-Issues/Solution-Spore-for-Steam-Can-t-log-in-to-servers/m-p...

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden. Ich liebe das Mobile Gaming, besonders die Simpsons Springfield …

Die Simpsons Springfield -  Zeigt her euer Springfield

Die Sims 2 - Meine Stories

———-
Message 2 of 8 (48,209 Views)

Betreff: Getting Started with Spore: Registering, installing and connecting to t

Community Manager (retired)

@arthrfrts  Amazing Guide! 

Message 3 of 8 (48,127 Views)

Betreff: Getting Started with Spore: Registering, installing and connecting to t

★ Guide
@EA_Unity Thanks! Glad I can help the community Standard smile
Message 4 of 8 (48,122 Views)

Re: Getting Started with Spore: Registering, installing and connecting to the Ga

★★★ Newbie
@arthrfrts Thx !!!!
Message 5 of 8 (47,448 Views)

How to Register a new Spore Account in 2021

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

(COPY AND PASTED FROM MY STEAM GUIDE WHICH IS IN GREATER DETAIL AND CAN BE VIEWED HERE)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2601443452

As many will know, Registering a new spore account this year is next to impossible given the fact that buying a copy of Spore off steam does not give a CD key, and the Origin copy of spore does not allow new users to register half the time. Even having EA support give you a new copy of Spore did not work. (As of the time of writing this, over 800+ confirmed players have not been able to register an account since February 2021 and could only stare at the words "Unknown Error during Registration". The only way to register was to buy a new copy off of GOG (good old games) or buy Spore Creature Creator off origin for 10 dollars, neither of which was fair.

However, there is now a solution, while rather tedious, it has been tested and works and can be confirmed by 3 new players. (This was discovered today)

1. Hit the Windows Key and the R key at the same time to open the Run Window. Type "regedit" and then hit Enter or click "Ok".

2. A prompt will come up, give administrator privileges.

3. Now you should be viewing the Registry Editor with a list of folders on the left. There are a few locations where your Spore CD key can be:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node (64-bit only)

Exact Location for some users: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\electronic arts\ea games\spore(tm)\ergc

4. Look for the 'Electronic Arts' folder in whichever location you chose, it may also be in lowercase, though this rare.

5. Open the 'Electronic' Arts folder, and you'll see two "SPORE" folders: "Spore" and "Spore_EP1".

The CD key for some users was in "Spore_EP1"

6. Find the CD key which is titled "ProductKey" under "Data". It should be a 20 character code.

7. Go to Origin, whether that be the app or the browser, and at the top right of your Game Library page you should see "Add Game".

8. Click "Add Game" and enter the code. It will ask you what version of Spore you want (I would personally choose the one with more languages under it just for convenience)

9. You now should have Spore on your Origin account, and yes, even if an EA Support Official gave you a free copy of Spore on your account earlier, your copy should redeem no problem.

10. Run Spore on Steam

11. Once you are greeted with the Account Registration page; (you should be familiar with this by now), enter your Origin account information and then a Spore username and hit register. If you did all the steps correctly, this should register a new Spore account!

SPECIAL THANKS

• Pancakes11 for finding this solution and writing the initial instructions
  • The Snazzmaster for documenting the process and confirming it works, as he was able to register a new account
  • Raptorboy556 for finding an exact file location for his CD Key as it is in different locations on other systems

Honorable Mention:
  • Kyle_Necrowolf on EA's Answers HQ, who first made a massive thread documenting this issue and even trying to develop a mod to help users register an account. He has been working hard to fix this issue since February and helps out users on the forums.
Message 6 of 8 (33,280 Views)

Re: How to Register a new Spore Account in 2021

★★ Novice

I’m looking under the same registry location and it just says (value not set). I got this copy from the support team so now what?

Message 7 of 8 (33,148 Views)

Re: How to Register a new Spore Account in 2021

★★★ Novice
@xXEatThatPieXx I have Spore with the 2 dlcs and Creatures Creator and using CC i already made my account. But when i try to login in Spore game, i get an error. I tried this way and find the keys, but when i put in Origin launcher, all give me the same message "This code has already been redeemed". I don't have the game in Steam, only in Origin. How can i solve my problem? I already have an account and can login in website, but not ingame.
Message 8 of 8 (33,126 Views)