Disc Version of Creepy & Cute Won't Install

by Music-007

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Disc Version of Creepy & Cute Won't Install

★★★ Novice

I know that for the most part, EA has done away with the disc version of Spore.  I still run the disc version, mostly because even though I want to be online again, I just feel apprehensive to move everything to Origin just to connect.  I tried contacting EA support before I figured I would have to do this, asking why I could not connect.  Support told me to clear my Origin cache-- I'm not sure my copy of Spore was ever even connected to Origin to begin with.

I used to have Creepy & Cute installed-- the original disc version.  However, now it seems to be gone.  I'm not sure where it was lost, or if it was even lost to begin with, but my copy of Spore cannot load many of my creations due to this.  When I place the disc in and attempt to reinstall Creepy & Cute, it tells me "you must uninstall Spore before uninstalling Creepy & Cute" when I open the InstallShield Wizard.  I know it would be best to again, just switch over to Origin, but I have creations from as early as 2008 and 2010.  I don't want a single thing to be lost in an installation or backup process.

Lastly, below my Electronic Arts folder, there is a folder named BP_1.  It might be the expansion pack, but I did some searches on google and anything close to it appears to have been information lost with the closure of the Sporum.  Can anyone please tell me what this is?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8 (1,051 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Disc Version of Creepy & Cute Won't Install

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Music-007

First things first, backup your Spore game data over at C:\Users\<Your User>\AppData\Roaming\Spore. Back up both the Games folder and the Planets.package and Pollination.package files.

Then uninstall your game. I would recommend you to reinstall it via Origin, since the game servers are only available to the updated games over the Origin, Steam and GOG stores. You can transfer your Spore games over to Origin following these instructions.

After reinstalling Spore and your game packs you should be able to place your save files back to their original directory.

I hope I could help!

Att.,

Arthur.

View in thread

Message 2 of 8 (1,037 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Music-007

First things first, backup your Spore game data over at C:\Users\<Your User>\AppData\Roaming\Spore. Back up both the Games folder and the Planets.package and Pollination.package files.

Then uninstall your game. I would recommend you to reinstall it via Origin, since the game servers are only available to the updated games over the Origin, Steam and GOG stores. You can transfer your Spore games over to Origin following these instructions.

After reinstalling Spore and your game packs you should be able to place your save files back to their original directory.

I hope I could help!

Att.,

Arthur.

Message 2 of 8 (1,038 Views)

★★★ Novice

This is a big help, thank you!  I think I might just go through with it, but I have one more question, if that's okay.  Will I still be able to play offline (without Origin or having to be connected to the internet) if I wanted to, even if by some chance, online play was no longer supported?

Message 3 of 8 (1,033 Views)

★ Guide
@Music-007 You will be able to play offline as usual. You will need to start the Origin client, but after you download the game you can start the client in Offline Mode, so no Internet is required Standard smile
Message 4 of 8 (1,026 Views)

★★★ Novice

If EA moves on away from Origin though by any chance and steps away from Spore too, would I still own the game and be able to play?
I'm not used to some of the rules of digital games, especially on Origin, I'm used to buying them from Steam, so I don't know completely about the risks I might be taking.

Message 5 of 8 (1,011 Views)

★ Guide
@Music-007 That's a question I have with all of the digital stores, like Steam and Origin. Spore came before Origin, when the service was called EA Store, and I believe the game will still be available even if the store changes its name again (I doubt it will go out soon, since The Sims 4 is exclusive to Origin and it's a success).

If you want to guarantee you will keep the game even before the digital store shuts down, I would recommend you to buy it through the GOG store. There you can keep the game installers with you, and not tied to the service client like Steam and Origin does. You will have to purchase the game again, however. Reclaiming your game on Origin is free.
Message 6 of 8 (1,003 Views)

★★★ Novice

I don't mind getting it again on GOG if it means I'll still get to play in case something happens with Origin.  Thank you for your help!

Message 7 of 8 (996 Views)

★ Guide
@Music-007 Glad I could help! You can use your Spore account credentials to log in in any version of the game, be it Origin, GOG or Steam. Keep in mind that only Origin offers support for the macOS version of the game.
Message 8 of 8 (992 Views)