Creepy & Cute will not install correctly (origin, disc, steam) 0x0ec02d4c.exe

by MorrysIllusion

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Creepy & Cute will not install correctly (origin, disc, steam) 0x0ec02d4c.exe

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

i hope its alright to make a new thread even though i did post of this issue. i am pulling my hair out and no one has helped, no one from EA support has any idea what to do. i want to compile EVERYTHING in hopes someone may understand what the hell is going on... i KNOW what the error is. there is a code. but no solution...

i have been in contact with EA support numerous times with no luck. no need to tell me to contact them!! i may try again in the future but i have stopped after 10+ different people had no solutions for me.

The issue:

When installing C&C (on all platforms- disc, steam or origin) after installing Spore base game, it seems to complete the installation but upon launching the game it does not show. An error shows during installation but it is still consdiered "installed" by Origin or Steam. The errors are slightly different but seem to be the same.

On Origin & disc: When installed on Origin, a window pops up at the end of installation that displays the error "0x0ec02d4c.exe was not installed successfully". after hitting "okay" Origin says it is installed. But when launching, it is not in game. When repairing the game through Origin, the same thing occurs with the 0x0ec02d4c.exe error.

On Steam: While Steam's installation does not have that window pop up saying "0x0ec02d4c.exe was not installed successfully", the game does not appear to have the content installed even though Steam claims it is installed. while it did not display that error during install, i did "verify files" and it said it was missing 1 file, but even so nothing changed after it "verified" and added that file- i suspect this is the same error as origin and it just doesnt display the same way due to how Steam installs stuff. if i verify the files again, itll say 1 file is missing over and over, so nothing changes and the C&C pack does not work in game.

Solutions I have tried:

1. completely uninstalled Origin "the hard way" and deleted all traces of Spore on my pc
2. installed microsoft vcredist packs all over again
3. clear cache for Origin
4. going to msconfig and turning off all services along with all startup processes, then restarting and installing again
5. made sure all security programs were off/have an exception for Origin
6. booted into safe mode to install

7. reset WinSock and DNS cache through command prompt
8. uninstalled all MCRedist packs from microsoft and reinstalled them

9. start up in safe mode and attempt to install there.
10. install C&C after the base game and GA

11. not sure what it did but was instructed by EA support to check UO trace, but nothing came out that

*not a solution but was asked to provide an msinfo file which did not lead to anything either

at the moment i dont know what to do. just kind of messing around to see what happens. i have a few other things in mind but i have hit a brick wall...

"0x0ec02d4c.exe was not installed successfully" is the error i am having and it will not work on any platform i try. it should be said, i was playing Spore just fine for months on this PC only weeks before i did a clean install of Windows (and i had done multiple clean installs of Windows on this same PC and Spore worked fine). i dont know what happened or couldve changed to make this happen. it happened with windows 7 and continues to happen as i upgraded to windows 10. (it worked on this PC when it was 10 before I reverted to 7 for a bit).

if needed, pc specs:

windows 10 64bit

256GB RAM

Nvidia GTX geforce 1060 6GB

Intel Xeon Gold 6240 Processor

Message 1 of 18 (5,788 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Creepy & Cute will not install correctly (origin, disc and steam) 0x0ec0

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I HAVE SOLVED IT.

almost a year on and off trying to figure this out and i got it.

so while the error mentions a specific .exe, i will disregard it as it doesnt play as big of a part in fixing this as i expected.i will first explain what seems to be happening with the install that breaks C&C.

What is happening?

it seems when Spore C&C it installing, "0x2ec02d4c.exe " crashes for an unknown reason, and C&C does not go through the final steps it needs to go through, also possibly corrupting the data (package) file at the same time. but the crash/error is not detected by Origin or Steam, so it is considered "installed". I don't know why this is happening, why it happens with Origin and Steam, as it only seems to be happening on my pc for some unknown reason.

When i check the installed files and compare it to a proper install (on a different computer) i saw that the data file for C&C (BoosterPack_01.package) was not placed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\[origin or steam]\Spore\Data" and while i tried to copy it there, it did not work still, which makes me think it is corrupt in some way.

How to fix it?

this process is a little... inconvenient. Basically since something was damaged with the C&C file when it tried to install, i went to a completely different PC to install the game, then i took those install files to compare to what was on my pc to see what was placed wrong- BoosterPack_01.package was not in Spore's data folder. Simply find you Spore installation location and go to the folder titled "Data" and put BoosterPack_01.package from the good pc's install in there.

this is not too different from a solution to get C&C showing on Steam, just a few extra steps because by BoosterPack_01.package file just wasn't good for some reason. i can confirm this work when i installed the steam one and i have yet to make sure it works on origin, but knowing the problem is identical i assume it will.

while i seem to be the only person with this specific issue, i hope itll be useful to share. took me almost a year to finally solve by myself.

View in thread

Message 4 of 18 (5,646 Views)

All Replies

Hi @MorrysIllusion 

I'm sorry to say, but unfortunately I don't have a solution to your issue

Maybe this can help a post of another user, who tried to fix this!

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bugs-Technical-Issues/0x0ec02d4c-exe-was-not-installed-successfully-Spore-...

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden. Ich liebe das Mobile Gaming, besonders die Simpsons Springfield …

Die Simpsons Springfield -  Zeigt her euer Springfield

Die Sims 2 - Meine Stories

———-
Message 2 of 18 (5,729 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

sorry im not sure if you noticed that was my old post lol! i couldnt reply to it or edit it so i made a new one... if it can be removed that would be good. but every time i tried to do anything with the old post i get errors so thats why i made a new, more extensive post

Message 3 of 18 (5,719 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I HAVE SOLVED IT.

almost a year on and off trying to figure this out and i got it.

so while the error mentions a specific .exe, i will disregard it as it doesnt play as big of a part in fixing this as i expected.i will first explain what seems to be happening with the install that breaks C&C.

What is happening?

it seems when Spore C&C it installing, "0x2ec02d4c.exe " crashes for an unknown reason, and C&C does not go through the final steps it needs to go through, also possibly corrupting the data (package) file at the same time. but the crash/error is not detected by Origin or Steam, so it is considered "installed". I don't know why this is happening, why it happens with Origin and Steam, as it only seems to be happening on my pc for some unknown reason.

When i check the installed files and compare it to a proper install (on a different computer) i saw that the data file for C&C (BoosterPack_01.package) was not placed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\[origin or steam]\Spore\Data" and while i tried to copy it there, it did not work still, which makes me think it is corrupt in some way.

How to fix it?

this process is a little... inconvenient. Basically since something was damaged with the C&C file when it tried to install, i went to a completely different PC to install the game, then i took those install files to compare to what was on my pc to see what was placed wrong- BoosterPack_01.package was not in Spore's data folder. Simply find you Spore installation location and go to the folder titled "Data" and put BoosterPack_01.package from the good pc's install in there.

this is not too different from a solution to get C&C showing on Steam, just a few extra steps because by BoosterPack_01.package file just wasn't good for some reason. i can confirm this work when i installed the steam one and i have yet to make sure it works on origin, but knowing the problem is identical i assume it will.

while i seem to be the only person with this specific issue, i hope itll be useful to share. took me almost a year to finally solve by myself.

Message 4 of 18 (5,647 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you for your work and for sharing your results with us.
before the redemption origin, your solution has often helped me.

Sadly, now many will have the same problem.
Origin has now been replaced by the EA app. I have tried to install the game with c&c addon on 4 different devices.
(Out of nostalgia, a par friends and I wanted to play spore again.)
And on all of them, whole folder structures seem to be missing or moved. so spore, can't find them.
strangely, the eaapp does not find any error. i suspect because the structure is stored incorrectly in the EAapp.
after 4 weeks of work i have not found a way to fix the problem.
Except to change the platform.

Since Origin is no longer available on official ways to download new, there was only steam.
So I bought the game there new for under 9€ with all addons.

Thereby everything ran with me almost without problems.
it is a really lousy solution, but I guess 4 weeks of work and more are more expensive for me than 9€.

Message 5 of 18 (4,887 Views)

Re: Creepy & Cute will not install correctly (origin, disc, steam) 0x0ec02d4

★★ Novice

This is exactly word for word what I'm experiencing. I'm not sure I can try this solution, maybe an advisor could log into my account, install on a PC and then give me the file because I don't have access to another PC

Message 6 of 18 (4,579 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Stumbled upon this post after almost an hour of searching... AND THANKS TO IT I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!

THE PROBLEM

The main problem for me was the following, already mentioned by MorrysIllusion:

The package data to install C&C is not located on "C:\Program Files (x86)\[origin or steam]\Spore\BP1Data\" but instead on "C:\Program Files (x86)\[origin or steam]\Spore\SPORE Galactic Adventures\BP1Data\".

As said on the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\[origin or steam]\Spore\SPORE Galactic Adventures\__Installer\DLC\BP1\__Installer\InstalLog" The C&C installer cannot find BP1Data because it's trying to search on another folder!.

THE SOLUTION

So, the steps I followed to solve this problem were the next ones:

1. Moved the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\[origin or steam]\Spore\SPORE Galactic Adventures\BP1Data" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\[origin or steam]\Spore\".

It should end like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\[origin or steam]\Spore\BP1Data".

2. Clicked on the windows icon on the bottom left of the screen and typed "CMD". Then executed the application (Command Prompt) with elevated privileges (As an administrator).

3. Wrote the next command (Is the one i found EA App was trying to launch on the logs, you can check it on the file i mentioned before):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\[origin or steam]\Spore\SPORE Galactic Adventures\__Installer\DLC\BP1\__Installer\customcomponent\0x2ec02d4c\0x2ec02d4c.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\[origin or steam]\Spore\BP1Data\BoosterPack_01.package" "SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\SPORE(TM) Creepy & Cute Parts Pack" sporebp1

IMPORTANT!!

That should do the trick! C&C won't appear as installed at first, but after launching the game you'll see you have C&C installed and working!

Remember too to check for the InstalLog file mentioned before on the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\[origin or steam]\Spore\SPORE Galactic Adventures\__Installer\DLC\BP1\__Installer\" in order to check for your correct folders!

Hope it works and have fun playing the game!

P.D: EA! You should REALLY review this problem.

Spoiler
Buying a game and being unable to install an expansion pack is almost fraud!

Message 7 of 18 (4,488 Views)

★ Novice

YOU HERO!

Note: I didn't have Origin or Steam,so it was 

.../EA Games/Spore/SPORE Galactic Adventures...

After that, I ran SPORE Galactic Adventures, and everything was snazzy!

Thanks!!!

Message 8 of 18 (4,425 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Or you could uninstall Spore and all its addons, then reinstall ONLY the base game and C&C. Once that's done, you can install Galactic Adventures and all should run without any issues.

Message 9 of 18 (3,760 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have a question! where I do find the BoosterPack_01.package? I looked for it and I couldnt find it

Message 10 of 18 (3,468 Views)