I went to play Spore Galactic edition but whenever I try to start it up I get this:
Could not write license data!
Please contact Customer Support for further instructions.
What does it mean?
Did the install run smoothly for you? And have you got all background tasks disabled while you try to run the game?
The error message you are experiencing is sometimes being caused by the Securom copy protection program which is installed with the program.
The first thing that I would recommend is that you do this:
1. Open the command line by pressing Start and selecting the Run... option.
2. Type cmd and push the [Enter] button on the keyboard.
3. Please type in rd /s "%APPDATA%\SecuROM" and press [Enter] on the keyboard.
4. Answer Y to the Y/N question and press [Enter] to complete the process.
This will remove the SecuROM folder from the computer. But, any SecuROM application that uses UserData will rebuild these files and folder with future launches
If this doesn't work, check any firewalls on your system to ensure they are not blocking the game from accessing the internet. Applications like Norton Internet Security, Zone Alarm, BlackIce etc will all act as a firewall. Please check the documentation that came with the firewall to allow the game access.
Try disabling all the background applications on your system to see if this helps allow the game to operate. Here is how to do this :
- Click on the start menu,
- Click on run,
- Type in the following MSCONFIG,
- Click on the startup tab,
- Deselect all the tick boxes,
- Click on apply and then close,
- Restart your computer,
- When your computer starts up again, please close these messages,
- Try to play the game again.
To return to the original startup sequence follow below instructions
- click start menu
- click run
- type in the following MSCONFIG
- click on normal startup
- click on apply and then close
- restart your computer
If your system is running Windows XP with a service pack, then this will include the basic windows firewall. Please make sure you have checked the firewall to make sure the game has access to the internet.
I did whatever you have mentioned. But nothing helped!
By the way, when I tried typing this in the command prompt (with admin privilege) rd /s "%APPDATA%\SecuROM", I get this: "The system cannot find the file specified".
In case it helps, I am running Windows 7 (64 bit).