Can't Download Spore Creepy & Cute Parts pack on Origin

by Ratty524

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't Download Spore Creepy & Cute Parts pack on Origin

★ Novice

Hello,

I've owned Spore and all extra content packs for about six years through Origin. I've recently reinstalled origin and the games after getting a new computer.

While everything else seems to install just fine, I can't seem to get the Creepy & Cute parts pack to install, even as I go to Spore > Extra Content > Download for the pack. When I click on that download button, nothing happens.

Can I receive help on this? I would like to be able to view my older C&C creations and use it's content. Thank you.

Message 1 of 6 (4,277 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't Download Spore Creepy & Cute Parts pack on Origin

★★ Novice

Ok, I think I managed to solve part of my problem, so I'll share my results in the hopes someone could find this useful.  It would seem my old save games are screwed, but at least I got my creatures back up and running.

As to your problem downloading the C&C package, I can't be sure, but here's what I experienced.  I had to uninstall everything (again) and this time, since I had a separate folder for the old C&C package (as it was a separate install at one time with it's own setup.exe in it), I had to run that manually.  It complains that you need to first uninstall all the Spore stuff (which at this point I did), before it'll uninstall itself.  And since I finally came to the conclusion it wasn't working properly to begin with, it was no big deal to kill the thing.

Inside the Origin client (and I see where you mentioned this, but I must not have fully understood your meaning), if you single-click on the Spore game icon in the library, and then SCROLL DOWN on the side panel that opens up for the game (something I never knew about because I don't recall seeing this before...which probably tells you a little about how much I pay attention to this thing...lol), I see this "extra content" tab down there hiding almost below the window frame (which could be the reason I didn't know of it before, because my window is too small to actually show it).

On my system, it showed as "installed" (even though it didn't work), and I'm going to suggest by now this is due to something Origin did at one time to change the install process to use this new "extra content" tab, whereas it was an independent item in the library before this.  Then one day, the library icon vanishes, but since I'm not playing at that time, who cares...

Nevertheless, the client still apparently saw it as "installed", but they forced me to re-download the game, and the new game install didn't recognize this thing as actually installed, because it wasn't where it was supposed to be (it's now a sub-folder called "BP1Data" under the Spore folder, not an independent thing called "Creepy and Cute").  So, as I said, I had to uninstall everything, then manually navigate to the old C&C folder to run that setup.exe file (the local uninstall process for C&C), and THEN reinstall everything according to the client's new process.  Gah!

In the end, once I got control back in my hands, the Origin client showed everything uninstalled, including C&C, and the extra content tab showed a download button for it now.  I started by installing Spore, taking it one step at a time.  As it turns out, I didn't need to click on the C&C download button at all.  I only clicked on the main Spore download icon, and then had to accept several pages of license stuff, one of which was for the C&C, and this became an automatic install after Spore was done.  I then did the galactic download after that, and now I have all my original creatures back.

Now, as to your issue of a new install on a new computer.  At this point in time, the only thing that comes to mind is maybe the sequencing.  The galaxy pack seems more like an expansion, so I did the base Spore game first, and the C&C followed right behind it without any further action on my part.  I then did the galaxy pack, and verified everything with a test run.  My creatures are happy again, and NOW I see the proper tabs on the Creator section for the C&C stuff.  So unless you missed clicking on the acceptance for one or more of those licensing things (and I'll admit they don't show up very clearly for me and my tired old eyes), then maybe that caused something to fail.  I personally have a habit of clicking stuff simply to get it out of my way, and if the checkbox isn't highlighted in bright neon lights, I might not see it.  But I didn't need to install it separately over here   Therefore, I might suggest uninstalling and trying again. Make sure you catch all the boxes and see what happens.

View in thread

Message 3 of 6 (4,191 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

I have a similar problem.  Recently I started playing again after several years out of the game.  The first thing the Origin client wants to do is re-download the games for some odd reason, even though they were working fine the last time I played (this also included having the C&C package installed).  Now, after having done all that, I don't see the C&C thing listed to re-install it after the rest, even though it's showing up on my account purchase list.

However, I tried playing what I had, and I could see the C&C content, like for instance the arms and legs, so it might seem the re-install is reusing the original config, although I didn't actually try testing any of it to verify.  But on the other side of it, my old content from the last time I played won't load up in the Sporepedia viewer.  It shows a lock symbol and tells me it requires something I don't have installed.  I also apparently lost my old save games, so I had to start over.

As I'm trying to investigate where everything went, and why my old content shows in the Sporepedia, but I can't actually use it, I decided to try uninstalling and re-installing.  This is where things get a little strange.  In the Windows settings Uninstall section, it showed duplicate Spore installations, one for the older "SPORE" game (both versions) and the new one as "Spore" (note the spelling), which means the client must've downloaded something strange that someone probably did to the game sometime during these past few years.  My purchase was in 2016, so it wasn't that long ago.

The C&C package no longer shows up in my client, neither does it show properly online to purchase it (the "buy" button takes you to the Creature Creator page instead).  This tells me either they no longer support the independent C&C package (maybe it was combined into the main, and thus the new download?), or their web site is broken, along with the game.  I don't know why I would need to re-download something that was working fine before this ("if it ain't broke..." what was it again?  Duh!), but now it's essentially broken.  I can play a new game (if I can tolerate the routine periodic crashes), but all my hard work from before is gone.

And yes, the crashes are routine AND periodic.  They seem to occur every couple of hours like clockwork, and probably due to a memory leak or something, forcing me to save my game at literally each and every step I make just to be sure I don't have to redo everything from scratch.  Argh!

Message 2 of 6 (4,224 Views)

★★ Novice

Ok, I think I managed to solve part of my problem, so I'll share my results in the hopes someone could find this useful.  It would seem my old save games are screwed, but at least I got my creatures back up and running.

As to your problem downloading the C&C package, I can't be sure, but here's what I experienced.  I had to uninstall everything (again) and this time, since I had a separate folder for the old C&C package (as it was a separate install at one time with it's own setup.exe in it), I had to run that manually.  It complains that you need to first uninstall all the Spore stuff (which at this point I did), before it'll uninstall itself.  And since I finally came to the conclusion it wasn't working properly to begin with, it was no big deal to kill the thing.

Inside the Origin client (and I see where you mentioned this, but I must not have fully understood your meaning), if you single-click on the Spore game icon in the library, and then SCROLL DOWN on the side panel that opens up for the game (something I never knew about because I don't recall seeing this before...which probably tells you a little about how much I pay attention to this thing...lol), I see this "extra content" tab down there hiding almost below the window frame (which could be the reason I didn't know of it before, because my window is too small to actually show it).

On my system, it showed as "installed" (even though it didn't work), and I'm going to suggest by now this is due to something Origin did at one time to change the install process to use this new "extra content" tab, whereas it was an independent item in the library before this.  Then one day, the library icon vanishes, but since I'm not playing at that time, who cares...

Nevertheless, the client still apparently saw it as "installed", but they forced me to re-download the game, and the new game install didn't recognize this thing as actually installed, because it wasn't where it was supposed to be (it's now a sub-folder called "BP1Data" under the Spore folder, not an independent thing called "Creepy and Cute").  So, as I said, I had to uninstall everything, then manually navigate to the old C&C folder to run that setup.exe file (the local uninstall process for C&C), and THEN reinstall everything according to the client's new process.  Gah!

In the end, once I got control back in my hands, the Origin client showed everything uninstalled, including C&C, and the extra content tab showed a download button for it now.  I started by installing Spore, taking it one step at a time.  As it turns out, I didn't need to click on the C&C download button at all.  I only clicked on the main Spore download icon, and then had to accept several pages of license stuff, one of which was for the C&C, and this became an automatic install after Spore was done.  I then did the galactic download after that, and now I have all my original creatures back.

Now, as to your issue of a new install on a new computer.  At this point in time, the only thing that comes to mind is maybe the sequencing.  The galaxy pack seems more like an expansion, so I did the base Spore game first, and the C&C followed right behind it without any further action on my part.  I then did the galaxy pack, and verified everything with a test run.  My creatures are happy again, and NOW I see the proper tabs on the Creator section for the C&C stuff.  So unless you missed clicking on the acceptance for one or more of those licensing things (and I'll admit they don't show up very clearly for me and my tired old eyes), then maybe that caused something to fail.  I personally have a habit of clicking stuff simply to get it out of my way, and if the checkbox isn't highlighted in bright neon lights, I might not see it.  But I didn't need to install it separately over here   Therefore, I might suggest uninstalling and trying again. Make sure you catch all the boxes and see what happens.

Message 3 of 6 (4,192 Views)

★ Novice
@Benarth This was a bit long-winded but your final paragraph was the one that worked! I uninstalled eveything and reinstalled in the following order:
spore base game > spore galactic adventures
and I checked the creators and saw creepy/cute stuff back in! Thank you for your help!
Message 4 of 6 (4,177 Views)

★ Novice

to append my last post, it apparently also needs the free spore Creature Creator downloaded and installed in order for it to work. Thanks!

Message 5 of 6 (4,173 Views)

★★ Novice

Sorry for the long winded part, I tend to do that when I feel a need to give a careful analysis.  But I'm glad it actually worked for you.

Message 6 of 6 (4,067 Views)