"% protection"is just an example

★★★ Newbie

Product: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
Platform:Apple iPhone
What type of device are you experiencing the issue with? Apple iPhone
OS Version 12.1.1
Ally Code: (Find it here: http://bit.ly/AllyCode ) 599-338-653
What type of issue do you have? Gameplay
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Summarize your bug This bug is that "X% protection"(maximal protection) bonus granted by a mods is not calculated using the characters's max HP(not the initial, nor the current), on contrary of "X% protection"(bonus protection) given by a buff/unique, to be clear, between theese two situations I only compared the amout of protection(bonus or maximal) given for same X% protection.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'll tell you how I found it: -Situation 1: My Embo is lvl 50, gear VI, has no mods, has 0 protection. -Situation 2: My Embo is lvl 50, gear VI, has mods giving 6522 flat protection and 82.44%protection, has 6522 protection. -Situation 3: My Embo is the same than in Situation 2 but is in combat, no character give him any health/protection bonus/malus, my Embo use "Kyuzo war helmet" on an enemy, the white damage shown is 2282, this ability describe this white damage: 0.35*Embo_Max_Protection Then I calculate 0.35*6522=2282.7 Conclusion : My character has "82.44% protection" bonus from mods that give him 0 protection in combat, If you find no issue here, I'll show you why I see one in "Compose"
Connection Type Mobile
Please select your region Europe
Country France

The reason why what will follow may look like feedback is that the Nest bonus protection issue show me that, even if something seems to be compatible with it description, it may be bugged

I guess it means for you that with "_X_%protection" and "_Y_ flat protection" from mods, a character's maximal protection at the beginning of a combat is calculated using this formula : Character_initial_max_protection=Character_unmoded_max_protection*_X_/100+_Y_

Now let's consider a character that can increase his max protection, like Emperor Palpatine

How %max protection bonuses works?

So, let's recap, "X%protection" does not have the same meaning in theese situations:

-Recovery/loss of X%protection (Current protection, can't go over the max protection of the character)(The game is clear about it)

-Bonus of X% protection,from a buff (Current protection, can go over the max protection of the character)(Calculated from current max HP, the posts on the forums are clear about it)

-Bonus of X% protection, from a mod (Maximal protection) (I have no idea how It should work, I'll know it after your answer)

-Bonus of X% maximal protection, from an unique/leadership (Maximal protection)(% of what?if it is %of max protection, wich one is it?)

-Damage of a spell calculated from X% of max protection (Maximal protection)(% of what?if it is %of max protection, wich one is it?)

Thanks for reading, there may be reasons why you made it this way, but, as a player, when I see "%" and "protection" in the same sentence, the easyest to understand what it mean is to go to an algorithmic description of your game, it is hard to read, so I suggest thoose solutions:

-Making a simulator of your game

-Giving everyone an acces to beta,restricted in time(200 crystals for 7 day and 3 days free per month, for example)

-Making a lot of threads on the forum to explain what the game does not explain, type by type

-As with mods, making a "classic" and "advanced" description of abilities/unique/leadership/game bonus/priorities of effects (order priority,Sion/traya for instance and "strenght" priority, for example,If a boba fett uses execute on an other boba fett and kill him, if I read the kit of boba fett, the anti-revive from execute can't be avoided, but I also see that boba's revive can't be avoided, but the game don't crash, so one of thoose description is stronger than the other)

-Simplifying the game's mechanics, I think it is the only way to keep this game semi-casual-friendly, and even,in 1,2...5 years, to keep it (non professionnal-gamer)-friendly as well as making new contents/kits

Message 1 of 9 (588 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: "% protection"is just an example

Hero (Retired)

Percent bonuses from mods only calculate off the base, and not bonuses from other mods. At gear level 6, characters have no base protection, so any %x0 wil be 0 protection from that mod.

Increase your character to gear 7 or above, and then you will have protection for thatercentage based mod.

View in thread

Message 4 of 9 (558 Views)

All Replies

Hi, thanks for the report!

I'm struggling to understand what bug you are trying to report here. Is it that you believe that the formula for starting Max Protection is incorrect?

The majority of your post seems to indicate that these formulas are just too complicated - but the majority of players don't need to worry about the specific numbers. In that case, it's simple because players just worry about how much of their protection and health bars are empty, and the game handles all the calculations for them.
If this is the intent, then the feedback forums are the most appropriate place to petition for simpler formulas.
https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/categories/feedback-home
Please let us know, thanks!

Hi, thanks for the report!

I'm struggling to understand what bug you are trying to report here. Is it that you believe that the formula for starting Max Protection is incorrect?

The majority of your post seems to indicate that these formulas are just too complicated - but the majority of players don't need to worry about the specific numbers. In that case, it's simple because players just worry about how much of their protection and health bars are empty, and the game handles all the calculations for them.
If this is the intent, then the feedback forums are the most appropriate place to petition for simpler formulas.
Please let us know, thanks!

Hero (Retired)

Percent bonuses from mods only calculate off the base, and not bonuses from other mods. At gear level 6, characters have no base protection, so any %x0 wil be 0 protection from that mod.

Increase your character to gear 7 or above, and then you will have protection for thatercentage based mod.

Message 4 of 9 (559 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You say me "%protection" from mods is acting as intended here, i'll say ok because It is % of something that ends in protection, so it is coherent with the text.

And the bug with Nest (I choose Nest because it is a known and recent example, nothing else), as called by EA, shows that even if it was giving the correct amount of protection to Nest according to the text,so it was coherent with the text, it is a bug, according to EA, so :

How could you say this is not a bug?Because it is the same situation than for Nest, the text can mean several things, and ingame the game behaves like one of thoose things, If I think something is not calculated properly, how could I check if it is considered by EA as a bug an other way than making a ticket here to get an answer from an EA employee that can say how the text "%protection" must be red in this situation.

Let's imagine more complicated situations :

I have a BH team with boba fett lead, a GMY applyes potency malus on some of my BH, should  there max health change?

In str healers have +20 000 HP bonus, if this healer gets a %health buff, the 20 000 HP will count in the HP bonus calculation?

I could say yes, because the %health buff is calculated on current max HP

I could say no,because as with mods, the flat goes after the %

You're right, I am worried about the game getting more complicated, but this is not the main issue that I want to show, the game can be much more complicated and still be fun and competitive by having an easy way for players to know how thoose interactions  works.

And I repeat, thoose non-obvious interaction, can act accordingly with their text AND in the same time be considered as a bug by EA.

Message 5 of 9 (540 Views)

[ Edited ]

Firstly, "Protection" and "bonus protection" need to be thought of as two different things.

Protection is granted by gear, starting at gear level 7. Mods provide a flat addition to this figure. (or a flat value if the character is below gear 7). Mods which provide % protection boosts are only calculated from the protection given by gear, so will have no effect on a character below gear 7. These are stat increases, and not "bonuses".
Example:
1a) Gear 7 character with base protection 1000, equipped with a mod granting +500 protection and another mod granting 10% protection. Total protection in battle (excluding leader abilities etc) = (1000 x 1.1) + 500 = 1600 in-battle protection
1b) Gear 6 (so no base protection) character with the same mods and same conditions = (0 x 1.1) + 500 = 500 in-battle protection.

"Bonus Protection", the buff, is based off max health for reasons shown above. If a character is below gear 7 the buff would provide no bonus, due to having no protection (ignoring mods) to grant a percentage of.

Regarding Boba's revive, that can be prevented (by another Boba, Nihilus, Deathmark etc). It is the gaining of the "Bounty Hunter's Resolve" buff (which gives him the ability to revive) when he kills an opponent that cannot be prevented.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 6 of 9 (529 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

ChristophlIV 

About protection from gear/mods/buff,nothing new here, exept for gear protection that I didn't mentionned because It doesn't add anything to the debate, it is obvious that the 88% protection are not useless on G12 character...

About boba, my game is not in english, so, to avoid any translation mistake it is "copy paste" of parts of boba's kit:

Bouty Hunter's Resolve Unique (lvl8):

"[...]Bounty Hunter's Resolve: [...] When defeated, revive at 100% Health. Can't be Dispelled, prevented, or stacked."

The [...] means there is a part of the text I've cut, I see your point now, even if I keep to read mine in this, "Can't be [...] prevented" can apply to the buff, to the effect of the buff, or even both

For me there are 2 tests to do : go to enrage on sith raid where there is a buff immunity, 1rst test to get the Bounty Hunter's Resolve on boba, and 2nd test (in str enrage also) use grand master training of hermit yoda on an ally that does'nt have it, if you're right, in this situation, boba can earn his buff and hermit yoda can give his training.

(I just see that on contrary to boba's unique, Hyoda's training does not have "can't be stacked mentionned" if I remember well, it can't be stacked.

Here I repeat my point, I don't try to show that the way I read the texts are the good ones, but that it is a reasonnable way to read them and the way to get the answer is getting very complicated for a game,and even worse, as with nest, when you think you've learned by heart all thoose hidden mechanics, you realize that they can be changed, and you have to check all again, I just red imperial probe droid's (IPD) kit to make an example, read self-destruct, "IPD instantly defeats itself and can't be revived[...]" I know it would be ridiculous, but when I read this, since the ability says at it begining the IPD is defeated instantaneously, one day,without any change on the text of the kit, the order could be changed and the IPD is really gone a die at the begining of "self-destruct" thus doing nothing else than dying, it can be called "bug fix" because it fits to the text (Even better than now IMO)

Message 7 of 9 (515 Views)

[ Edited ]

He does still gain it through buff immunity.

I mentioned "gear, buffs etc" because your initial post was stating was how protection from mods is calculated differently to bonus protection. I used it to illustrate why mods are based off one thing and bonus protection is based on a different thing. 

As this thread has no bugs, may I suggest, as has been mentioned above, that you make a post over at the official forums:

You stand a better chance of your point about complicated mechanics and unclear descriptions being noted by a developer over there, and other people may support your points, helping them gain traction.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 8 of 9 (510 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Unclear descriptions may lead to bugs according to EA, so me or you can't know if there is a bug or not here
Message 9 of 9 (495 Views)