Elder sims with the Active Trait never die

by RiverCallum

Original Post

my elder sims arent dying

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? up to date
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? I have a lot of stuff packs/expansion packs.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? My elder sims are not dying from old age. Their life bars are full and shinning but they just arent dying, it normally takes a day or 2 after their life bar starts flashing but they are still alive weeks later. I have aging turned on as my cat died of old age but it's like my elder sims are stuck.
What happens when the bug occurs? Nothing - my sims dont die when they definitely should have by now.
What do you expect to see? I expect my elder sims to die within a day or 2 of their life bar being filled
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I noticed if after the update prior to the release of Snowy Escape, but I'm not sure thats what caused it.

I'm having an issue where my elders are stuck at a full life bar, but they just aren't dying. Death normally happens pretty quickly after their life bar starts flashing [a day or 2] but my sims are still alive weeks and weeks later. For some reason the issue isn't affecting my pets though as my cat died of old age in the same family. It started around the time we got the pre snowy escape update, but I'm not sure if it started before then as I don't have many families with elders in them. It doesn't effect all my elders as some have died of old age but a few families definitely aren't dying no matter how long i play for.

Message 1 of 8 (6,004 Views)

Re: my elder sims arent dying

Hero
@ZeeDeex Depending on how they lived their life, they don't necessarily die after 2 days.

There's been reports like this since the game came out and they always die eventually (unless they are immortal for some reason).

I had one living up to 1000 days into elder on long.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 8 (5,992 Views)

Re: my elder sims arent dying

Hero
@ZeeDeex Are you still having issues with this ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 8 (5,950 Views)

Elder sim won't die of old age?

★ Apprentice

How often does the bug occur? Rarely (0% - 9%)
What is your current game version number? 1.77.146.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get to work, Get together, Seasons, City Living, Discover University, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat, Dine Out, Vampires, Realm of Magic, Parenthood, Bowling Night, Movie Hangout, Holiday Celebration
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? By having an elder sim living 14 in-game days past their bubbling age bar.
What happens when the bug occurs? Elder sim won't die of old age.
What do you expect to see? My elder sim finally dying of old age.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

My elder sim won't die of old age. It has been 14 in-game days past their bubbling age bar. How do I fix this? I've tried searching on Google and they said there used to be a cheat to age elders up to death but it has been removed. 

Message 4 of 8 (5,894 Views)

Re: Elder sim won't die of old age?

★★★★★ Apprentice

Do they have the long lived trait? Sims get this automatically when they complete the bodybuilder aspiration, and it gives them an extra 2-3 weeks (I can't remember exactly) of life once they reach elder.

Message 5 of 8 (5,849 Views)

★ Apprentice

No, but they do have the ‘active’ trait. Do you know how long active sims live? I have my lifespan set on long by the way.

Message 6 of 8 (5,844 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I could be wrong on this, but I think there's something where sims who are more active (even without having completed the athletic aspiration/getting the long-lived trait) do live a bit longer. I had a sim who was pretty active and had a decent fitness skill—I forget whether they had the active trait but that could be part of it—and they lived a bit longer than usual. I have MC Command Center which shows how long elders have left to live and includes a separate listing of "bonus days," which would usually show, for example, the extra days from the long-lived trait, but it showed a smaller number for this sim who did not have that trait. I think it was something like 7 days (regular lifespan), which was less than long-lived sims usually get. And these days aren't reflected either way in the normal aging bar filling up/sparkling.

tl;dr I don't actually know, but I have had sims live longer than expected, and I think it might have to do with being active and/or having the active trait and/or having a high fitness skill.

Message 7 of 8 (5,840 Views)

Elder sims with the Active Trait never die

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.90.358.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All Packs except Journey to Batuu
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Give an elder sim the active trait and wait to see if they die
What happens when the bug occurs? The sim never dies, not even after a reasonable amount of time
What do you expect to see?  Elder sims with the active trait dying in a timely manner
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made.  1.90.358.1030

My elder sim with the active trait will not die. I did testing both with MC Command Center and without. MC Command center said she had "-3 days left and 7 bonus days".  When I removed the active trait, this went back to "2 days left and 0 bonus days". Her partner that was the same age as her died over 15 in-game days ago. The sim keeps aging into the negatives with the trait applied. She had lived roughly 160 days at that point and her days lived was no longer showing after she started aging into the negatives.

Attached is a video of testing I did. Also attached are screenshots of what MC Command Center was showing, only inserted AFTER I did my base game testing.

Message 8 of 8 (5,286 Views)