Wireless XBox One controller stops working on PC version of game

by gmoney_1138

Original Post

Wireless XBox One controller stops working on PC version of game

★★ Novice

Product: Star Wars Battlefront II
Platform:PC
What is your issue related to? General
Summarize your bug Game will not recognize Xbox One wireless controller (on PC) unless it is on when the game is started. Also, if the controller is turned off at any point while the game is on, it will not recognize it when turned back on. Windows 10 continues to recognize the controller, and the only way to get the controller working in-game again is to restart the game. Below it asks for a specific game mode, but it happens in all game modes and even from the main menu.
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? gmoney_1138
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Can you tell us the date (MM/DD/YYYY) that you saw the bug? 1/21/2018 (ongoing for sometime though)
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) 11:00 AM
In what game mode did the bug occur? Galactic Assault
What is your time zone? CST - GMT - 6:00
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try turning the xbox one controller on mid-game.
What happens when the bug occurs? Does not recognize input from controller
What do you expect to see? A fix so that if I run out of batteries mid game, I don't have to close the game to get it working again. Also, it is helpful to be able to switch from using keyboard/mouse and gamepad, as I only use the gamepad for the starfighter content.
Please select your region North America
AMD or Nvidia Model Number

Game will not recognize Xbox One wireless controller (on PC) unless it is on when the game is started.  Also, if the controller is turned off at any point while the game is on, it will not recognize it when turned back on.  Windows 10 continues to recognize the controller (i.e. Windows will still bring up its game menu if I hit the 'xbox button'), and the only way to get the controller working in-game again is to restart the game (not the PC).  Happens in all game modes (including the main menu).

Message 1 of 8 (3,367 Views)

Re: Wireless XBox One controller stops working on PC version of game

★★ Novice
I’m experiencing the exact same issue. In addition, if I leave the controller on and play with the keyboard and mouse, my key bindings get messed up until I turn the controller off.
Message 2 of 8 (3,265 Views)

★★★ Newbie
This has been happening to me since bf4 came out, I just waited 20 minutes in queue just to start the game to realize my controller had turned off and I had to go through another 20-minute queue I just open this account to post this this is b******* it needs to be fixed are you listening to us EA?
Message 3 of 8 (3,181 Views)

★ Novice

Exact same issue since launch. After it happens a couple of times, its usually so annoying combined with how long this game take to launch that I don't bother restarting the game and just stop playing all together for a few months. These are the kinds of quality-of-life patches that a greedy company like EA will never bother to make, they are not interested in fixing games only making money. While Battlefront 2:2 is way better than Battlefront 1:2, it breaks my heart that this is the company controlling the starwars license for games.

Message 4 of 8 (3,091 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@gmoney_1138 I have this same issue. I usually do keyboard and mouse for solidering and controller for driving but if I put aside the controller too long then I'm stuck using keyboard and mouse for flight.
Message 5 of 8 (2,891 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I don't use a controller on PC for ages, but I remember back in the day this was an issue that plagued me a lot, especially the keybindings messing up if I quickly change from controller to M&K in Galactic Assault.

Another thing which happens to me to this day is the issue with the controller turning off. Even if I reconnect it, the game needs to be restarted for it to be recognized again. I don't use a controller to play anymore, as I stated before, but I do use to test stuff in Arcade Splitscreen. However as it's a mod, and my controller is a PS3 controller, which needs a special software to be recognized by windows, I never bothered reporting about it. But I feel it may be connected to the issue people have been reporting here.

Message 6 of 8 (2,876 Views)

★★ Novice

Wow.  I'm pretty late to the party here, but I can't believe this has been a known, reported issue for so long and still hasn't been addressed.  I've never had this issue with any other game.  I'm glad I waited and didn't pay full price for it.  It seems as though all EA games are only worthwhile at deep sale prices these days.

Message 7 of 8 (2,079 Views)

EA DICE Team
I'm closing this thread to stop it from being necroed.

If you have any issues with SWBF2  please make a new topic about the issues you are having and what kind of steps you have tried to solve them.

/Atic
Message 8 of 8 (2,043 Views)