Re: Mirrors acting like windows

by WolvesCreek

Original Post

★★★ Novice

It worked! I only put d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll in after tossing them all in there wouldn't let me load the game at first (I think Sims 4 only uses DX9 anyway). Thank you for this find!

Message 71 of 180 (2,582 Views)

★★ Novice

This may be a stupid question, but does this workaround work with Sims 3 as well? And if so, could someone help me out on this one and tell me what to do exactly?

I'm having the same issues in Sims 3 (on a RX 6600 XT) and it's quite bothering, although my mirror issue is not as persistant on water reflections (they seemed to work fine)

Message 72 of 180 (2,533 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

That seems like a big oversight on AMD part that gpu literally made for gaming aren't properly supporting older games...lots of hit and misses.  Sims 4 being one of them, anyway while this appears to work at the moment its dirty fix. 

I hope Maxis will fix  this now since it appears to do with how the game is processing directx libraries. 

Message 73 of 180 (2,500 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@Karigena

DXVK does NOT work with the Sims 3, HOWEVER thats because DXVK is written for 64x games. Sims 3 is 32x AND there is a solution for that too that the author of DXVK suggested - that is wine3d (first google result).

It fixed the mirror issue in Sims 3 AND improved FPS...however, there is one slight issue. When you exit the game, it  turns your desktop contrast up to a 1000 via your gpu and you have to reboot to "reset" the graphics card contrast. Kind of a pain.  But at least it fixed the games issues and improved performance!

Message 74 of 180 (2,469 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@WolvesCreek 

Thank you so much for your reply! I feel like I've searched the entire internet and couldn't find a single solution until I stumbled upon this thread. I will give it a try once I've got the time, although I don't really know what I'm doing, something with DirectX9 I suppose?

The contrast issue sounds really annoying, but as long as it doesn't damage my hardware I'm fine with it ... I'm really looking forward to playing one of my favorite games on max settings, a childhood dream come true Standard smile

Message 75 of 180 (2,454 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@KarigenaIts pretty easy to install, just go to the website download the rar file and unpack only the wined3d.dll file and the d3d9.dll file into  C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin folder.

Hopefully the contrast issue can be fixed in some easier way i just havent figured out lol.

Message 76 of 180 (2,443 Views)

★★ Novice

@WolvesCreek Sounds easy enough, I should be able to do that. Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it! The mirror issue was driving me crazy and it was a huge bummer since I've finally gotten my new PC and became madly frustrated lmao

But the contrast issue shouldn't affect the GPU too much right? Like strain it or something? Sorry I've got very little knowledge about hardware itself

Message 77 of 180 (2,441 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Just a general observation but for both Sims 4 & Sims 3, these solutions have also improved performance overall when the game uses intense resources such as weather. 

Apparently other older games written in DX9 also benefit greatly from these based on some of the reddit posts I've seen, although results do very. 

Message 78 of 180 (2,434 Views)

★★ Novice

@WolvesCreek Makes sense, thank you for clarifying Standard smile

Message 79 of 180 (2,426 Views)

Hero

Bit off topic but could anyone from this thread check if they have this issue as well: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Black-And-White-White-And-Black-Gourmet-Cakes-Have-No-Texture/...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 80 of 180 (2,312 Views)