[FIXED] Open staircase cause routing failures

by Maysbat

Original Post

Sims won't climb stairs after 11/10/20 update

★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.33.202.2300
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover University, Backyard Stuff, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, Spa Day, Laundry Day Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Toddler Stuff, Parenthood, Get to Work, Strangerville, Cool Kitchen Stuff, Movie Hangout Stuff, Dine Out, Get Famous, Outdoor Retreat, Vampires, City Living, Island Living, Fitness Stuff, Moschino Stuff, Tiny Living Stuff Pack, Eco Lifestyle
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Download lots similar to "English Simmer Asylum" from the Gallery, and have a sim attempt to climb the interior stairs.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims cannot access stairs
What do you expect to see? I'd like to see the sims walk up and down stairs as they did before the update
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Installed 11/10/20 Sims 4 update

This may be a duplicate report - I could not find my original.

Last night, I downloaded the latest Sims 4 update. After installing it, I loaded a saved game, in which I was using a lot I had downloaded from the Gallery, based on the lot "English Simmer Asylum". This specific lot has interior stairs in it (2 story building). Soon after starting the game, I attempted to get several sims to climb the stairs up to bedrooms. The sims were unable to use the stairs. Before this update, the sims were able to use stairs normally. This lot also has external stairs which the Sims can use. 

I also downloaded other lots from the Gallery, based on "English Simmer Asylum", and in all of them, there is a main interior stair which the Sims cannot use.  The dates of creation for these lots were in 2019.

It appears, at this point, the Sims 4 update has broken these Gallery lots.  With these lots being placed in the Gallery in 2019, I don't know if the creators can or will update them.  I attempted to move and adjust these stairs, but they are unusable.

Message 61 of 500 (2,419 Views)

Re: Sims won't climb stairs after 11/10/20 update

Hero (Retired)

@TheSolidRequiem 

I've merged your post into the bug report for this issue. Please click the "Me Too" button at the bottom of the first post on the first page of the thread.

See the checkmarked post for a workaround.

Message 62 of 500 (2,461 Views)

Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★★★ Apprentice

Hope they fix this issue soon. Having to do any sort of work around in all my lots would be such a nightmare. 

Message 63 of 500 (2,456 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I've found that if the area around the stairs is selectable as a room, and has floor (so the only hole is the cutout from the stairs), the stairs are functional, even with the invisible fence across the top (which needs to be there to make it a room). Deleting the floor stops it from functioning, so it's not the invisible fence across the top of the stairs that's the problem like I first thought, it's the floor. To have a big open space around the stairs and have Sims be able to use them, it needs to not be a "room", but then any outside floor trim will appear inside. That's what the workaround is doing, making it not a room anymore, which isn't a solution for me due to the trim showing up inside.

Surrounding area is a room, no floor. Sim can't use stairs

routing failure on stairs in floorless room.png

Surrounding area is a room, with floor. Sim can use stairs

stairs work inside room with floor.png

Surrounding area is not a room. Sim can use stairs, but unfortunately, outside floor trim appears inside.

stairs work - not room - floor trim shows.png

I also noticed that while Sims get routing failure trying to use the stairs, the cat can use them just fine..  Likely has something to do with the platform stuff making Sims not be able to enter an area too short for them.

Message 64 of 500 (2,428 Views)

Re: Bug with L shaped stairs

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@playshaeplayit's not L-shape stairs fault. Open space is causing some kind of issue. There is another topic about this bug with workaurond. Check https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/WORKAROUND-Open-staircase-cause-routing-failures/m-p/9716427#M...

Message 65 of 500 (2,332 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
PlatformPS4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? Most current
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Everything but eco, batuu, jungle, vampires, laundry, tiny living, knitting, backyard, romantic garden, luxury party
Steps: No specific trigger. Happens every time, every save, every household, even after restarting console and game.
What happens when the bug occurs? Regular stairs do not work. My sims are not able to go upstairs on existing staircases that have always worked. I tried to delete and replace stairs, but that did not solve the problem. Ladders continue to work. 
What do you expect to see? Not this
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? No - on console.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Latest patch, installed yesterday 11/10, happened immediately upon installation finished.

Message 66 of 500 (2,416 Views)

★★ Pro
@durango1906 I know! I just did the Summer Home and it took all afternoon to fix issues with deleted ceiling. And my poor little Coorinberg Cottage does not like the "workaround" at all. Still haven't tried to fix any of my other houses with open to below areas adjoining outer walls cuz I'm a chicken.
Message 67 of 500 (2,393 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Did you or anyone else also find that random objects from around the house were moved to household inventory when you did the workaround, even one from other rooms and floors? About 8 different decorative items from several rooms went there in my build! 

Message 68 of 500 (2,375 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★★ Apprentice

Hello,  can you tell me what you did to fix your stairs? 

Message 69 of 500 (2,370 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★★ Apprentice

Someone told me they received the same type of notification that items were  removed from her game.   She said when she went into her build mode,  she couldn't find certain beds,   couches,  and other items from some of her packs. This update has screwed up more than fixed  things in the game. 

Message 70 of 500 (2,369 Views)