[FIXED] Open staircase cause routing failures

by Maysbat

Original Post

Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★ Pro
@x_Pipco_x I'm sure they're aware of it. Probably not being addressed because they don't know how to fix it at all due to platforms.
Message 451 of 500 (1,238 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Open staircase cause routing failures

★ Novice

What did you have to do?

Message 452 of 500 (1,147 Views)

★★ Pro
@me57701 Who? Me?

Mostly, I just had to control delete a section of the stair railing/fence at the head of the stairs, and, then, when the game put construction grade concrete over the "open to below" area, use a sledgehammer on it. Boom, sims can use stairs.

You can then replace the railing at head of stairs if you want and the game will put construction grade concrete in again. Sledgehammer go boom will work for that, too. And sims can still use stairs.

After that, some builds required more fixing up than others to get them to look okay/get the game to recognize them as inside, not outside, etc. (Chez Llama still has a bit "outside" lighting due to the way the Sims Team built it, but it is covered and inside according to my sims.)

One thing that is very common is that using the sledgehammer to delete the flooring on the "open to below" area also deletes the ceiling above unless there's already a full attic room with floor up there.

Drawing a fence up on the level where the ceiling has gone missing will create a "floor" there which will remain even after control-deleting the fence. Very important for the game to recognize that area as "covered".

Oddly enough, one or two of the builds I was most dreading ended up not needing much fixing, or indeed any, depending on the stair configuration (for some reason, Ophelia Villa was perfectly fine? Did I put in the stairs in a different way there? 'Tis a puzzlement).

However, some of them really went wonky (I'm looking at you, Affluista Mansion, and you, Hound's Head) and needed floor plan adjusting even on the lower levels to put walls back in a way the game recognized as enclosed rooms again. Think of the hokey-pokey!

Anyway, that was my completely non-systematic, panicked approach to fixing the builds in my gallery so that sims could use stairs again and the game would stop treating exterior walls (and some interior rooms) as "outside" with weird lighting, etc., and so that I didn't feel too guilty about people downloading my gallery stuff.

Mind you, I still think being able to delete the floor over the stairwell without "sledgehammer go boom" was a much more practical, elegant solution, and the platforms don't really make up for that loss, not to mention that it makes no sense why platforms messed that up.

If you're building from scratch, it's still a limitation, and that's not fun either.
Message 453 of 500 (1,128 Views)

★ Novice

I don't know if someone else already post something like this but I fixed my staircase by deleting an invisible fence on the top of the stairs. I reminded that sometimes when placing fences on foundations they'll end up below the stairs, so I tried deleting at the top of the stairs and it worked... It may work for someone else too.

Message 454 of 500 (1,027 Views)

2-4 story height staircases!

★★★ Newbie

Help! please fix! it's making a few of my builds inoperable!

Before: the sims DID in fact use 2-4 story height staircases, no problem.

After: the sims Will Not use them anymore. the auto-adjust build feature still works.

(wall height doesn't affect this either, no objects are present, they are simply refusing to use any staircase over 1 story, so it must be something with the AI since the last update)

yes i've tried multiple times/save files/lots

Message 455 of 500 (851 Views)

★★ Pro
@Kylezelek If the stairwell is a "room" deleting the invisible fence at the top of stairs will make the game see the stairwell as "not a room" so that the game just sees open space over the stair opening. (As opposed to "deleted floor" which confuses the game for some reason now that there are platforms.)

If the stairwell or "open to below" area is larger than the stair opening itself, however, deleting the invisible fence at top of stairs will cause the game to fill in 'open to below" area with construction grade concrete tiles. So, if you want that "open to below" area, sledgehammer go boom is pretty much the only option.

Message 456 of 500 (987 Views)

Stairs in Windenburg stop working

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

I having a problem, the stairs at The Narwhal Arms in Windenburg goes to female bathroom seems to stop working. my sim refuse to go up the steps or down them. I did have MC811 install at the time and remove it in case was that, clean cache files but still reuse to use those stairs 

05-20-21_7-17-25 PM.png

I tried different step and same thing happen

05-20-21_7-22-52 PM.png

Message 457 of 500 (993 Views)

Stairs in The Narwhal Arms in Windenburg Stop Working

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? Origin keep game updated
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? all
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? use the steps
What happens when the bug occurs? don't work
What do you expect to see? working stairs
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Stairs at The Narwhal Arms in Windenburg just stop working

05-20-21_7-17-25 PM.png

remove mod MC811 & clean cache files Change stairs

05-20-21_7-22-52 PM.png

New Test Game

05-20-21_7-31-03 PM.png

Message 458 of 500 (1,057 Views)

Re: Stairs in The Narwhal Arms in Windenburg Stop Working

★★ Pro
@LadyDarkSorrow Check out: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

When platforms were introduced, stairs in many EA builds were broken. Yep, they broke their own builds!

It can be a bit painful, but sometimes they can be fixed.
Message 459 of 500 (1,037 Views)

Re: Stairs in The Narwhal Arms in Windenburg Stop Working

★★★★★ Guide

@stjmk  thats sad, what's even more sad they where working up to now. just because my sim loves looking at herself in the mirror then became broke 

Message 460 of 500 (1,031 Views)