[FIXED] Open staircase cause routing failures

by Maysbat

Original Post

Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

★ Guide

For PC players, isn't a simple workaround to enable testingcheats true and then shift click to teleport your Sim upstairs or downstairs? 

Obviously this issue needs to be properly fixed, but I think that's what I would try as a workaround.

Message 101 of 500 (2,527 Views)

My sims will not go upstairs after the November 10 2020 update

★ Novice

My sims won't go upstairs at venues after the Nov 2020 update. I remove/deleted all my mods and cc, uninstalled the sims 4 and reinstalled it also repaired it, and sims still will not go upstairs. Most of my bars in the game is upstairs and the bartender just stands outside. Help it makes it impossible to play. But my game don't crash not as yet.

Message 102 of 500 (2,374 Views)

Sims Cannot Travel upstairs when platforms are present

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.68.154.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expect Journey to Baatu and Snowy Escape
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Trying to walk to the second level of a build
What happens when the bug occurs? Sim does not go upstairs, instead they wave their hand like there is no path
What do you expect to see? My sim walking up the stairs like they should
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The newest patch update for PC

Sim cannot walk up to a second level of a house/building. Unfortunately I believe this has to do with the new platforms tool, as builds I've made using it don't work, yet regular builds without use of this tool work fine. In the builds I've made with the new tool the platforms are no where near the stairs, so its not an issue with not having enough head room for the sims, it just seems to be a bug. 

Message 103 of 500 (2,414 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★ Pro
@FrPeders I managed to fix two houses and eliminate bad outdoor light (put in third floor ceilings, played hokey-pokey with downstairs walls and ceilings, wound up with a little bit of frieze coming in but not too bad), but the third one cannot be fixed with the workaround without the game giving it outdoor light. Hope they fix it soon, too. I really like that house.
Message 104 of 500 (2,520 Views)

★★ Pro
@Skaazilla Or unless the open area has floor instead of being open. For some bizarre reason, the stair opening through floor allows them enough headroom to use stairs, but taking out the rest of the floor in the "room", nope! Not even with the medium tall walls.
Message 105 of 500 (2,507 Views)

★★★ Novice

This is awful if this affects even premade EA homes. What happened to quality control???

Message 106 of 500 (2,504 Views)

The Sims 4 staircases don't work properly after November patch

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Nederlands
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.68.1.54.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? I have all the expansion pack except for Spooky stuff and Journey to Batoo
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? If you build a staircase and you delete the floor around it (the room) to make an opening around the staircase. The sims will not use the stairs. I have a save file with a lot of villas in Willow Creek and they have all an open staircase, It always worked before the November patch bugs. This is my save file : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hZCcctrdXAV899x_ycbXD6Erz5Vg9-_0?usp=sharing
What happens when the bug occurs? My sim can't go to the other floor.
What do you expect to see? I see my sim looking at the sky because they can't reach the other floor. Before the update they used all kind of stairs, now they are not using them anymore.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. November Patch

Bella Goth can't go upstairs 13-11-20_0-36-33.png

Now I will reset the floor in the stairs'room deleting a wall 

13-11-20_0-36-51.png

Now Bella Goth can use the stairs again

13-11-20_0-37-17.png

Same story here for Mary - Sue Pleasant :

13-11-20_0-40-49.png

Now I will reset the floor of the stairs' room deleting the fence and it's working again

13-11-20_0-42-30.png

Same story again: 

13-11-20_0-49-42.png

Here I have also resetted the floor:

13-11-20_0-50-20.png

And now the sim is able to use the stairs again:

13-11-20_0-50-48.png

Message 107 of 500 (2,452 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Sims won’t walk up the configurated stairs

★ Novice

Could you help me with my stairs, only my kids can go up the stairs to the second level, but the adults can't 

Message 108 of 500 (2,406 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Sims won’t walk up the configurated stairs

★ Novice

It's up in the gallery called "Classy Mansion"

Message 109 of 500 (2,404 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 staircases don't work properly after November patch

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I was also affected by the broken stairs, but my circumstances were different. 

In the house I'm currently playing, the only staircase that wouldn't work anymore was one that had 3 bends in it. I'd created a spiral(ish) stairwell that connected the second and third floors of the house. THAT stairwell no longer worked.

Unfortunately, my sim was on the third floor when the patch was installed, so I had to remodel that stairwell completely so she could leave the top level of the house, since suddenly becoming Rapunzel wasn't quite what I had in mind for her storyline. 

I have four other indoor staircases on the lot - two that each have one bend in them and two that do not have any bends. All of those still worked (aside from having snow on the railings even though they were indoors (???), which I was able to fix by deleting and replacing the roof.)

I'm wondering if the game is confusing staircases with platforms now in terms of routing. Remember they said there would be height restrictions on which platforms would be accessible to adult sims...maybe adults think they're too tall to use the stairs now? Hard telling...

Anyway, replacing/remodeling the staircase that didn't work solved the routing issue in my game. I had to change a few things on the floor above it since I had to change the way the stairwell was shaped, but the stairs did work after that.

I'll add that all of my indoor staircases ARE attached to a wall on one side, but not both. The one that didn't work anymore had walls on both sides. 

Something about the new platforms has jumbled the routing for staircases, I think. 

@Plallo Try replacing your staircases and (if necessary, some minor remodeling) to see if it helps. My staircases work again, but only if they have a wall on one side and no more than one bend in them. 

It's true that this was NOT a problem before the patch. 

Message 110 of 500 (2,412 Views)