Re: Sims can't go up or down sectioned stairwell

by crinrict

Original Post

Sims cannot walk up or down stairs

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.68.154.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Base game, spa day.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Make a sim go up any set of stairs.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims cannot go up base game maxis built foundation entry stairs. Sims cannot go down straight stairs into the basement. And sims cannot go up L shaped stairs.
What do you expect to see? My sim to walk up the stupid stairs.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The latest update for snowy escape.

I am beyond  frustrated with this bug. I have removed and tried replacing the stairs, and taken out all decorations nearby. 

I have tried base game builds with a slight foundation and nothing above the stairs and no one can walk up them. L shaped stairs do not work up or down. My basement stairs do not work up or down. 

I have one elder sim will walk down the outside stairs to leave for work but cannot walk back up them. Meanwhile his kids all teenagers cannot even walk down those stairs. 

Neighbors will come over and have no issue walking up and down the stairs. Tried visiting community lots and my sims cannot walk up or down. 

I do not know what do at this point. 

Message 201 of 500 (1,709 Views)

Re: Sims cannot walk up or down stairs

★ Guide

Sims 4 is getting to be a joke now....you fix some things and break others,broken stairs being one such thing.Really need to get your act together...Absolutely rediculous situation Frown

Message 202 of 500 (1,687 Views)

Re: Sims cannot walk up or down stairs

★★★ Novice

I would be so mad if I just paid 50 dollars for snowy escape to have this then happen. The game is garbage now, how are you supposed to play an 8 person household while trying to "teleport" everyone up and down the stairs all the time. 

This is honestly game breaking. I don't even know why I bother with this stupid game anymore. 

Message 203 of 500 (1,677 Views)

Sims can't go up or down sectioned stairwell

★ Novice

the main stairwell in the house is a L shape and my sims refuse to go up or down it when they had been for months just fine. They still can go up and down the stairs that lead to the basement that are straight. Very frustrating please help. 

Message 204 of 500 (1,650 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@jmello88Hi, you don't seem to have been offered the posting form to fill in, if you edit your post you might get it. Also a screenshot might be helpful Standard smile  I assume you just noticed this after the last patch?

Message 205 of 500 (1,637 Views)
Highlighted

Hero
@jmello88 Merged your post with the main thread. Please check workaround post.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 206 of 500 (1,621 Views)

Sims not using the stairs

★★★★★ Novice

Platform:Sony Playstation 4
What is your current game version number? 1.34
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them- except Journey to Batuu, Nifty Knitting, My First Pet stuff and Snowy Escape.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try to get a sim to use an L or U shaped staircase
What happens when the bug occurs? Sim will wave their arms around, and a thought bubble with footsteps and a cross will appear above their heads.
What do you expect to see? Sims being able to use the stairs as per before the update.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. After the most recent "fix" patch (version 1.34) was installed.

So, the good news is no more crashing.

The bad news is that my sims WILL. NOT. USE. STAIRS- or more specifically any stairs that aren't straight, such as L or U shaped staircases.

In one specific example, I have a set of U-shaped stairs against an exterior wall- I have tried all the workarounds- removing banisters, railings, floor, etc. No dice.

I've tried making ti a room, not a room, adding a fence, removing fence. Everything.

Nothing works.

So once again, unless you have bog standard generic straight stairs or a bungalow, the issue makes the game not so much unplayable, but just frustrating.

Teleporting is just too much of a bother, so looks like I'll be holding off gameplay until there's (another) fix.

Message 207 of 500 (1,590 Views)

Open Staircase Route Fail in Windemburg(?) bar

★★ Novice

Platform:PC
What is your current game version number? Newest patch
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansion packs but eco lifestyle and the newest one, almost all game packs (i dont have outdoor retreat that I can remember now), and 3-4 game packs, however, it is irrelevant to the problem I’m experiencing
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Just place any stairs with open space (a room separated by a fence, delete the floor). Sims won’t be able to go up or down. They will alternate between a thought bubble with footsteps and a red question mark, or a thought bubble with stairs and a forbidden sign on top of it.
What happens when the bug occurs? In Windemburg(? i am terrible remembering names because I build more than play simulation), in one of the bars in the town to the far right (I don’t remember names), there are open stairs leading to the bathroom. My sim can’t go up to the bathroom because the new patch rendered loft areas inaccessible, even though the original Maxis build uses that technique lol
What do you expect to see? My sim going up the stairs not peeing themselves in public? lol
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Please describe the patch or change you made. The Infamous November 2020 Patch.

Sorry it’s the very first time I use this forum but this is how much this is annoying me and I am tired of having to rebuild the whole town including MAXIS ORIGINAL builds just to play.... I love building more than simulation but nothing displeases me more than moving a sim inside one of my new kitchens (I am a kitchen aficionado lol) and they simply can’t even go up the front porch inside the house!!!!!!

how come an update on like, FEELINGS, basically, messed up the stairs is simply beyond me.... I loved the update regardless but this needs to be fixed. This is worse than having the game crash every 5 min, at least saving takes less time than clikcing every sim to teleport and then to do whatever....

Message 208 of 500 (1,569 Views)

Sim won’t walk up stairs in restaurant

★★★ Newbie

What is your current game version number? 2.191
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Dine out, city living, get together, strangerville, seasons, get famous, more that I can’t remember
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try to access the second floor.
What happens when the bug occurs? When I try to access the second floor with the stairs (pre made restaurant that came with dine out pack) my sim does the moodlet with the feet and red X, signaling something is in the way.
What do you expect to see? The ability to access the second floor.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I’m using the pre built restaurant that came with the pack, and I’m unable to access the second floor with the restrooms.

Message 209 of 500 (1,487 Views)

Cant walk up steps with landing

★★★ Newbie

What is your current game version number? Console
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All packs
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'm doing a landing for the second floor and it will not allow Sims to walk up the stairs
What happens when the bug occurs? They don't go upstairs
What do you expect to see? My Sims use the second floor
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

• Just unable to create landing 
Message 210 of 500 (1,427 Views)