Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

by SheriGR

Original Post

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★★ Apprentice
@Maysbat Thank you! It worked. I thought I was going to have to find a new house for my family.
Message 121 of 500 (1,221 Views)

Re: Open staircase doesn't work

★ Novice

Could you help me with my stairs, only my kids can go up the stairs to the second level, but the adults can't 

It's in my gallery called "classy mansion"

Message 122 of 500 (1,222 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★★ Newbie

that worked!

Message 123 of 500 (1,129 Views)

★ Guide

Same here. I play on a PS4. My Sims live in a celebrity mansion and all of a sudden, since the recent patch, they cannot access the 2nd floor of the house. I can teleport them in the meantime as a workaround, but my bigger issue is that they have a butler whose bedroom is on the 2nd floor. Now the butler cannot sleep. I cannot teleport the butler as I do not control them. I’ve attached screenshots of the stairs in the house that they can no longer use. 

Message 124 of 500 (1,124 Views)

Re: Open staircase doesn't work

★★★ Apprentice
@Caleighadriana13 Hey, were you able to fix this? If not, I will take a look at it for you.
Message 125 of 500 (1,120 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@KEW0701 Hey, on your second floor remove the glass fence or rail thats off the stairs. This worked for me and my best friends game. Let me know if thus helps you.
Message 126 of 500 (1,114 Views)

★★ Guide
@JuliaChang93 I'm almost certain that's what it is, ESPECIALLY after hearing that child sims can use the staircases without a problem. Thanks for sharing that info. Sounds like they need to create an exception for staircases in the routing rules they've coded in for the platforms, then.

I'm a big builder (although I haven't uploaded any of my builds to the gallery, shame on me) and I'm a developer (web, not games). First thing I thought when they announced the new platforms, even as excited as I was for them, was "I need to back up ALL the things because platforms are going to break the world." Haha! True story. :P

Sounds like the code needs to be tweaked to create a distinction between the routing for stairs and platforms. Thanks again for mentioning that child sims can use the staircases without a problem. My kids are both teens now so I had no way to test that. If kids can use them and adults can't, that's exactly what the problem is, then. The same routing rules are being applied to staircases AND platforms.
Message 127 of 500 (1,072 Views)

★★ Guide

The same routing "rules" that apply to platforms are likely being applied to stairs. You know how kids can climb onto some platform areas that adults can't? That's why your kids (and likely your pets, if you have them) can use the affected staircases and your adults cannot. 

The game is not making a distinction between staircases and platforms and is applying the same routing and height restrictions to both. 

Until this is fixed, the key will be to make sure your game recognizes stairs as stairs. In looking at the screenshots some of you have posted, it LOOKS like some of the stairs with routing issues only have railings on one side. 

Try putting railings on BOTH sides of your stairs, even if one side is attached to a wall, to see if that makes the game recognize your staircases for what they are. It may not look as pretty, but if it works, it's worth temporarily dealing with less than ideal aesthetics until this problem is *actually* fixed. 

I have two open area staircases in my game, and neither of them were unusable after the patch, BUT, they have railings on both sides. The staircase I had that WAS affected did not have railings because it was built in a walled in stairwell. I think the game read that staircase as platform areas that would be inaccessible to adult sims as opposed to recognizing it as a staircase.

Adding railings to both sides of your stairs might help the game make a distinction between stairs and platforms in terms of the routing that's being applied to them. 

Try that and see if it helps. Depending on how your staircases are set up, that may be a quick/easy workaround.

If that doesn't work, definitely take a look at JuliaChang93's solution (https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/WORKAROUND-Open-staircase-cause-routing-failures/m-p/9717568#M...) in post #22 on page 3 of this thread, as that seems to be working for most people. Huge thanks to Julia for finding that workaround! 

This is absolutely a bug that needs to be fixed ASAP. 

Message 128 of 500 (1,062 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@KEW0701 There are a number of lots that come up on searching 'Celebrity Mansion'. What is the userID for the one you have in your game? If you post it I could have a look. 

I downloaded three of the lots on this thread so far. In each case I re-created the staircase(s) via the method I did in this video a couple of days ago. The Sim could not route the stairs before I re-did via this method, and after I re-did the staircases (and opening area) via this method the adult Sim could route the staircase(s): https://youtu.be/nDJBMsHHh4s

Edit | Note: If you use the sledgehammer to delete the floor the two times to make and re-make the open stairway and you find the ceiling has been deleted over the area, you can re-build it by creating a room the size of the opening in the floor above, then delete the walls and ceiling of that room. (Thus leaving the floor, which also becomes the ceiling of the area below, as done in this video:  https://youtu.be/YctI60okBeE )

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 129 of 500 (1,265 Views)

★★★ Novice

I also have this issue. I have tried the workaround reported by @JuliaChang93, and while it makes the stair usable, it is not a perfect workaround in some situations. It seems to work around the issue by making the opening in the floor count like the outside/not a room. This has side effects such as the one in the attached picture - the pillar can no longer be placed on the building's outer corner, because the corner no longer counts as the corner of a room. 

Message 130 of 500 (1,231 Views)