Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

by yuk75

Original Post

★★ Novice

I've the same problem (I had to add a ladder to the balcony so they can go to upstairs), but for some reason child Sims seem to be able to use the stairs.

Message 91 of 500 (1,949 Views)

Stairs are broken

★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.68.154.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? I have all the expansion, game and stuff packs installed except Star Wars
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? In this example my sim is stuck upstairs in the two story Green Gardens house created by Maxis that I placed in the Brindleton Bay world.
What happens when the bug occurs? Stairs seem to be broken. Sims on the first floor cannot use the stairs to go upstairs. Sims on the second floor cannot use the stairs to go downstairs
What do you expect to see? The sim go down the stairs to the first floor or climb up the stairs to the second floor.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. the patch was the 11/10/20 update get ready for your snow escape

I ran the game repair but that did not resolve the problem.

The bug does not occur in all multi-level homes.  For example, I test played the Goth house in the same game as the Green Gardens house and they were able to go up and down their stairs even though my my sim couldn't in her house.  I tested this in my other games where the bug showed up and it was the same result.  

Message 92 of 500 (1,925 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I've got it too....my poor sims are trapped!

The fix seems to have worked for me also. Hopefully it's just existing stairs in existing builds but that is also a problem.

Message 93 of 500 (1,913 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Skaazilla wrote:

I've found that if the area around the stairs is selectable as a room, and has floor (so the only hole is the cutout from the stairs), the stairs are functional, even with the invisible fence across the top (which needs to be there to make it a room). Deleting the floor stops it from functioning, so it's not the invisible fence across the top of the stairs that's the problem like I first thought, it's the floor. To have a big open space around the stairs and have Sims be able to use them, it needs to not be a "room", but then any outside floor trim will appear inside. That's what the workaround is doing, making it not a room anymore, which isn't a solution for me due to the trim showing up inside.

I also noticed that while Sims get routing failure trying to use the stairs, the cat can use them just fine..  Likely has something to do with the platform stuff making Sims not be able to enter an area too short for them.

The stairs in my Sims' San Myshuno apartment, built the same way (open area around the stairs is a room), work fine because it's got tall walls. It's definitely because the game is thinking the area is too short, which is why child Sims and cats can use the stairs while adults can't (unless the walls are tall). Dang, nevermind. I just tried tall walls on a regular lot and it didn't work. Apartments are unaffected by this I guess.

Message 94 of 500 (1,900 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Open staircase cause routing failures

★ Novice

I have this issue aswell with my lots, and these steps worked for me, so thank you for that @JuliaChang93

My issue with this method is that it gives me super bad outdoor lightning inside, both in the upper cutout and the room below. So I really hope they will get around to fix this issue sooner rather than later.

Message 95 of 500 (1,830 Views)

★★ Guide

Another workaround I've found is to turn on testing cheats and teleport your Sims whenever they get stuck.

Message 96 of 500 (1,818 Views)

Re: Open staircase doesn't work

★ Apprentice

@crinrict Having the same issue as well.  Stairs were working fine before the patch update on Tuesday.  Tried playing yesterday and today but sims will not use stairs.  Tried every possible thing I could think of short of bulldozing the house.  

Message 97 of 500 (1,811 Views)

★ Apprentice

@JuliaChang93 Thanks for the workaround, that actually solved the problem!

Message 98 of 500 (1,789 Views)

★ Apprentice

@enex04 Same here!  Got the same message but have no idea what items were removed.  I thought a patch was supposed to be helpful....

Message 99 of 500 (1,790 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks so much. That worked. 

Message 100 of 500 (1,743 Views)