Re: Library Bookcases!!

by crinrict

Original Post

Library Bookcases!!

★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.56.52.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? EPs: All GPs: Strangerville, Jungle Adventure, Parenthood, Dine Out, Spa Day, Outdoor Living SPs: Laundry, Toddler, Fitness, Bowling, Vintage, Kids, Kitchen, Patio, Luxury Party
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a library on any lot or download a library from the gallery
What happens when the bug occurs? Bookshelves in libraries only have a few books in them (the same ones as when you buy a bookshelf in a residential lot)
What do you expect to see? Bookshelves in libraries have all in game books in automatically (or at least all the skill books). Or at least have the option to purchase books (for 0 simoleons) on library bookshelves.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I know that this issue has been around forever but I thought I'd make another bug report because it is so frustrating and I really hope it will get fixed. 

Libraries could be an excellent place for skill building if we could actually access all the skill books, but library bookshelves only have an incredibly small number of books in them when logically they should have all of the in-game books.

I know that there is a workaround by downloading one of the original willow creek library bookshelves from the gallery, but this is a) frustrating, and b) skill only contains the level one skill books from the original base-game skills. There seems to be no way to get the books for newer skills to be in libraries.

Please EA can you fix that! 

Message 11 of 25 (3,931 Views)

Champion

Not really sure if it's something they can fix or if it's even a bug. Libraries are just filled with regular bookshelves. The books in them are whatever you put in there, and on the default Willow Creek library it seems like they went through the trouble of stocking the shelves with all the base skill books. You can see with other library lots in the game they don't even have those same skill books (e.g. the Windenburg library doesn't).

I've filled my libraries with books my own sims have written, so I wouldn't want anything to happen to those (like some bookshelf reset to fill it with skill books). It shouldn't be that difficult to create your own custom workaround bookshelf filled with skill books and save that as a template you can drop into any library lot.

I'd try to have a sim (can be a throwaway temporary sim) buy every skill book, including newer ones, put them on a shelf and then save that shelf to your library as a ploppable room, even drop that in a library lot and maybe that will work?

If it doesn't, you can still just have your sim carry the books in their inventory over to the library and just dump them there on a table. The librarian will clean them up on to the shelves and they become part of the library's permanent collection - that's how I get my writer sims' custom books in my own libraries.

Message 12 of 25 (3,917 Views)

Hero
@Fitzy2754 I merged your post with the skill book thread cause you mention that although I'm unsure if you talk about the number of books in general.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 13 of 25 (3,890 Views)

★ Apprentice

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. In the Windenberg Library there are only 5 books. I clicked every bookshelf in there to make sure. 

Message 14 of 25 (3,708 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@JoRN1414 wrote:

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. In the Windenberg Library there are only 5 books. I clicked every bookshelf in there to make sure. 

There used to be a cheat to spawn the special library bookcase but it was disabled.
Every library by Maxis since base game no longer spawns the special selection of skill books.
I have saved one of the bookcases from the Willow Creek library as a workaround.
Placing one of these will allow all the level one skill books to spawn in every bookcase on the lot.
The exception may be some pack specific books.  I don't thing they spawn the photography skill books and maybe a couple other newer ones.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 15 of 25 (3,687 Views)

Re: [WORKAROUND] No Skill Books available to read at library

★★★ Newbie

I know this is over a year late, but i recently ran into a similar problem. I built a new library in my town and noticed there were no skill books.  Here's how i fixed the problem/were able to get my library to have all the books:

STEP 1: GO TO YOUR HOME LOT

STEP 2: PURCHASE A BOOKSHELF (ANYKIND) (SIMS 4 PC BOOKSHELVE TYPE DOES NOT DETERMINE WHAT KIND OF BOOKS YOU CAN GET, ONLY STYLE)

STEP 3: PURCHASE ALL THE BOOKS YOU WANT TO FILL YOUR LIBRARY WITH. 

STEP 4: MOVE ALL PURCHASED BOOKS FROM YOUR BOOKSHELF INVENTORY TO YOUR PERSONAL INVENTORY.

STEP 5: TRAVEL TO LIBRARY

STEP 6: GO TO YOUR PERSONAL INVENTORY, CLICK ON A BOOK, AND CLICK "PUT AWAY"

Your sim will put the book in one of the bookshelves at the library and it should stay there.

Message 16 of 25 (3,541 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@Karababy52 J'ai exactement ce problème, mais depuis le début du jeu^^, Il n'y a que la bibliothèque de Willow Creek qui propose quelques livres de compétences générales, niv 1, du coup la bibliothèque est la seule construction qui n'a jamais changée dans mon jeu, car même l'objet lui même, la bibliothèque originale du jeu, est en mode achat, mais, sans livres de compétences. En fait il faut les acheter en jeu, chez moi ca n'a jamais changé et j'ai tous les titres ^^)
Message 17 of 25 (3,393 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @virtuelle03 when posting on the English AHQ forums we would ask that all posts be in English.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 18 of 25 (3,370 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I've done a number of libraries and added skill books to them - from what I understand the books are part of a hidden inventory tied to the lot location and not actually linked to the bookcases themselves (outside of, when you place a bookshelf, you get a few added to the lot location inventory). It's the same way with the food in a refrigerator - food isn't tied to the fridge itself, its tied to the specific lot location. If you put a mini-fridge in your inventory and go to a different location, you can't access any of the food you put in at the first location.

To add skill books to a library, you need to use a build mode cheat - bb.showhiddenobjects, then type "book" into the search bar when in build mode. All books, including skill books, will come up. You can just drag them into live mode and the librarian or your own Sim can add them to the library shelves.

It's a bit of a pain, but it works. I've tried saving the lot and placing it elsewhere, and that never includes any of the new books. I haven't tried the room thing, so I don't know if that's any different.

Message 19 of 25 (3,344 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Thanks for the workaround, it helps for the time being.

This issue has been around since StrangerVille, where books have been being taken/not returned. It happens now on every community lot, regardless of the situation. (Doesn't need to be a skill book; it can be any book.)

Kind of makes Library lots virtually useless if no one's returning the books. No late fees, you know? Heh.

- B

Message 20 of 25 (3,033 Views)