Original Post

Accepted Solution

[WORKAROUND] No Skill Books available to read at library

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.48.94.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All EPs except Cats and Dogs and Get Famous, all GPs, all SPs, except My First Pet, Kids Stuff, Toddlers Stuff, Bowling and Fitness.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go to any library, click on bookshelves.
What happens when the bug occurs? No skill books are available to read at the library. They were available before the most recent Origin patch. I don't know if that was the cause or not, but that's the only thing different in my game.
What do you expect to see? I expect to see a list of skill books available for my Sim to read.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I sent my Sim to the Magnolia Blossom library to read a vampire skill book as I've had other Sims do in the past. When I click on the bookshelves, there are no skill books listed to read, only genre books. This was a minimally modified library by lilsimsie so I thought maybe that was the problem. I tried the library in Windenburg which has not been replaced by a different library and it had the same problem. I removed the downloaded library and exited my game to do a repair. The repair did not fix the problem. So, I had recently place ALOT of lots down in this save from the gallery. and a few Sims as well made for NPC jobs. The Librarian was one of them. This is my custom template I use for all new game play saves. So I thought perhaps a conflict with something on one of those lots or Sims was causing the problem. I removed ALL my downloaded lots and Sims from the game and did another repair. Still the same problem, no skill books available in the library.

Message 1 of 25 (15,883 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [NEEDS INPUT/A] No Skill Books available to read at all library venues

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Isn't this related to the book shelves themselves? If you look at the book shelves in the Willow Creek library they are not the same ones you can buy in build mode. What I did was I put a few of the shelves from the Willow Creek library and saved them in a room. I use the book shelves from this room in all libraries that do not have them. 

View in thread

Message 4 of 25 (15,759 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

Does this just happen in your current save or also if you start a new one for testing purposes ? Have you tried replacing the bookshelves itself ?

I did some testing myself and in as  @helenthehunter  there's no issues in Willow Creek but even replacing bookshelves in the one in Windenburg doesn't help. It's really weird. Doing some more testing.

I think if you clone the Windenburg library, then you're missing the skill books. Should be fine if you build your own from scratch, no matter the world.

It's also not new though. There should be another thread somewhere. 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 25 (15,794 Views)

★★ Guide

Have you tried the default library in Willow Creek?  It's the only one that has ever had skill books for me.  I think EA forgot to make it happen for the other libraries.

Message 3 of 25 (15,787 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Isn't this related to the book shelves themselves? If you look at the book shelves in the Willow Creek library they are not the same ones you can buy in build mode. What I did was I put a few of the shelves from the Willow Creek library and saved them in a room. I use the book shelves from this room in all libraries that do not have them. 

Message 4 of 25 (15,760 Views)
Highlighted

Hero
I tried a few different ones but it's possible that not all the bookshelves have skill books. Not sure if that's a bug though

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 25 (15,756 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

As @danacnbrett said, a work-around is to save a bookcase from Willow Creek Archives as a separate room in your gallery then add that room to every library lot in the game.  Just adding the bookcase room to the library lot seems to update all shelves to contain skill books, in the same way that adding a toddler bookcase to a lot adds the toddler books to every bookcase.  You don't even need to keep the Willow Creek bookcase on the lot. Once the shelves have updated, you can take it away and the skill books will remain.

I've tested this work-around in modded and unmodded files, and several different library lots, and it's worked every time.

Message 6 of 25 (15,747 Views)

Hero
Guess we need OP to come back to get more info as they said no library works for them.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 25 (15,741 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I apologize for not being able to come back until now. Anyway, I ended up replacing the libraries with originals from a new fresh save. I just saved them to my library and then placed them in the other save and now everything works. I need to add though that I also got rid of all lots and Sims I'd downloaded from the Gallery. You're right that the bookshelves in the Willow Creek Library were different in the Lil Simsie lot I'd downloaded, they weren't the original ones.

All I can surmise is either that's why the shelves in all libraries didn't have skill books or perhaps the Librarian Sim I had downloaded or one of the other lots. None of them were supposed to have CC in them, CC doesn't transfer from the Gallery from what I've heard, so I doubt it was a CC conflict. I don't have CC/Mods in my game and I never have. Though the problem is fixed for me now, it's still a mystery though because I had tried to replace those bookshelves with in-game ones that looked exactly like the ones in the original Willow Creek. Plus, the Windenberg Library was the original one, it hadn't been replaced and wasn't working.

I suspect the Librarian I downloaded. But I'm not sure... *shrugs*

Message 8 of 25 (15,694 Views)

Re: [WORKAROUND] No Skill Books available to read at library

Hero
Added this for now but since this has been the case since GT came out, there will probably need to be more voices.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 25 (15,667 Views)

Re: [WORKAROUND] No Skill Books available to read at library

★★★★ Pro

As commented above, the only bookshelves that generate book 1 of the skill books are on the base game library lot in Willow Creek. The bookshelf you need is not in build mode, even if you use the bb.showhiddenobjects cheat. I, like others, have saved a room to the gallery with the bookshelves in it. You can add it as a basement room with no access, it still turns all bookcases on the lot into ‘library’ bookshelves. Here’s a link to one of a few threads on the forums about it. https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/797586/help-no-skill-books-in-library

I have tried the spawn cheat but it’s a little dangerous as you need to make sure your sim is on the lot or the bookshelf will spawn in the surrounding neighbourhood. I also have an edited version of the Windenburg library on the gallery that already incorporates the required bookshelves and also makes it toddler/kid friendly. 

It would be nice if the required bookshelves were added to build mode, even if if they were hidden and required the bb.showhiddenobjects cheat. 🙂

Thank and regards,

Jennifer

Message 10 of 25 (15,640 Views)