Re: Camera Keys Q and E not working as they should be

by SGEplaysgames

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[BY DESIGN] [MSP] Camera keys not working in photo mode (QE, WASD)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.133
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except for my first pet stuff.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Buy a camera, put on tripod, take a picture, use the Q, E, WASD keys.
What happens when the bug occurs? Q and E keys rotate the camera up and down on a fixed point. WASD keys do not work correctly.
What do you expect to see? When pressing Q or E the camera should move up or down not on a fixed point but freely. WASD should move the camera around just like in tab mode, but they don't.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. YOU introduced the patch on 12/12/19 that broke this key feature of the stuff pack.

https://clips.twitch.tv/StylishSpinelessHedgehogPunchTrees

Edit By Crinrict: Updated Tag

Message 1 of 112 (9,907 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [BY DESIGN] [MSP] Camera keys not working in photo mode (QE, WASD)

Community Manager

Hey all,

This thread has been closed as this is currently functioning as designed by The Sims team.

If you feel this was in error, please create a new thread here with as much information as you can provide. Thank you!  

solaire.png

View in thread

Message 112 of 112 (954 Views)

All Replies

Camera Keys Q and E not working as they should be

★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.133.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Get the tripod from the moschino stuff pack, put a camera on it, click on the tripod to take picture (of/with doesn't matter) and use WASDQE to control the camera.
What happens when the bug occurs? W / S zooms in / out A / D moves the camera to the left / right Q / E moves the camera up / down
What do you expect to see? The camera keys (especially Q and E) to work like they did when the stuff pack came out, as seen in this part of the Guru livestream https://clips.twitch.tv/StylishSpinelessHedgehogPunchTrees , so that we can take more dimensional pictures again.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Updated to the June 3rd patch (2020)

The new patch promised the following: We fixed an issue in which some hotkeys in Photo Mode (particularly E and Q) were not working.

The "fix" is basically just a reassignment of controls but doesn't add what Q and E were intended to do.

I am a bit frustrated because it was my favorite feature and added so much depth to photography and now I'm back to how it was before the moschino pack came out with all my pictures just being frontal shots looking like a non-skilled sim could have taken them xD

Message 2 of 112 (9,843 Views)

★ Apprentice

The patch doesn't fix this? For those of you who don't know what we are talking about: Q used to elevate the camera, E lowered it, TAB allowed free camera control while taking pictures with the tripod. Please fix this Sims team! You had it working before it was broken by a patch. Please prioritize it!

Message 3 of 112 (9,798 Views)

Hero
@jred250 They fixed it .. but not in the correct way. The keys now do something again but not what they are supposed to.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 112 (9,780 Views)

★ Guide

This wasn't fixed at all. Not even remotely close. The Q & E keys are just panning the camera up and down, a feature that we could do even when it was broke before with just the mouse. The other bug report shouldn't have been archived as the main feature, the WASD keys allowing free camera, was still never fixed! This is insane. Why is it so difficult for them to address and fix this? It was working for a few months after the pack was released, and then broke completely when they tried to fix the issue with not being able to take pictures in basements.

For me, it makes the entire Moschino Stuff pack obsolete. I am a photographer IRL and really only bought that pack so I could make creative pictures in the game. Thumbs down

Message 5 of 112 (9,695 Views)

★ Guide

From the original post, which has incorrectly been marked as "Sovled", and edited to add additional ways that this bug has yet to be fixed:

When having sims pose for photos using the tripod, we used to be able to move the camera around using the WASD keys and Q + E to freely move the camera around the composed scene. It would work like we were moving the camera around when we press the TAB key in-game - WASD would allow us to move closer and farther away (not by zooming, by moving the camera forward and backward in the scene), and essentially see the subject in almost 360 degrees.

In addition, Q + E would bring the camera up and down, like the rising and falling of an elevator.

Now, six months after it was broken, the W + S keys are only zooming in and out, A + D pan the camera on its' stationary east-west axis, and Q + E is panning the camera on its' stationary north-south axis.

The patch released in 12/2019 completely removed the functionality of moving fully on a horizon and being able to get shots at "eye-level" regardless of where the sims are. For example, taking profile pictures of toddlers is now much more difficult (if even possible at all) as the camera can only "pan down" at them, shooting their photo from above. 

11-12-19_8-50-20 PM.png

The above photo was taken in the glorious few months that this feature actually worked. Using Q+E I was able to move the camera down to the eye level of the short tiny toddler and snap a picture.

Essentially, removing the features advertised in the Twitch play below.

https://clips.twitch.tv/StylishSpinelessHedgehogPunchTrees

Why am I explaining this in extra-deep detail and re-iterating points made before? Because it seems our reports in the past have gone on deafened ears for the past 6mos and I truly am at a loss for what else to do to get this fixed. 

Message 6 of 112 (9,680 Views)

★ Apprentice

This is UNREAL. Unreal. You break an entire feature where keys arent doing what they are supposed to, so you just make the keys that do nothing, do something but still not what they are supposed to. These devs are a JOKE. Refund everyone who bought this pack, you clearly don't care to fix the entire point of the pack.

Message 7 of 112 (9,655 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [MSP] Camera keys not working in photo mode (QE, WASD)

★★★★ Apprentice

I was so excited when I read that they finally fixed this issue, only to be disappointed to find it still does not work correctly... Hope they fix this soon.

Message 8 of 112 (9,587 Views)

★★★ Novice

@xjfo411xwonderfully said!

This is such a baffling bug because it was a feature that was working. If it was some misunderstanding about a pack's functionality that would be one thing. However, we had the feature for a while. The only thing I can think of is that it had some sort of deep error that would take a while to correct, so they are quietly hoping we forget about it. The "Q and E" patch notes from the June patch almost felt like they were trying to get one over on us. There is no way they really thought that was solving anything.

The fact that they haven't even said: "Hey, we know that a core feature of a game pack is busted, it is just taking a while to fix" makes me think that they aren't going to fix it. I hope that they know that there are enough people who care about that feature to invest the time into fixing it.

Message 9 of 112 (9,536 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I have video evidence that proves they didn't fix it in the June 3rd patch.  https://twitter.com/silveriowiki/status/1268594608184782848

Message 10 of 112 (9,488 Views)