Re: Detective Career constantly lags

by ForestNinja0

Original Post

[WORK IN PROGRESS] Game Lockups

[ Edited ]
Hero

I will not be responding to this thread on a regular basis. as I have all the tips I have compiled on this first post. Please do provide as much info as you can though

Issue

The game completely locks up. Sims are frozen in time and you can't do anything in Live Mode. Other mode still seem to work.

Steps to reproduce the issue

This might not necessarily be a performance issue but something else that's locking up the Sims. I don't know if it can be reproduce if a game is saved in that state. It's possible it the lock resolves itself on saving.

Info about the issue

• Seems to happen if Sims lock themselves out on waiting of something else to happen. Like another Sim doing something which in turn locks down the entire game.
  • Sims probably engage in a dead lock
  • Seems to reproducibly happen to teen homework

Things you can try

• Resetting the Sims involved (might not be easy to find the culprit)
  • Sometimes it resolves itself if you wait for a while
  • Pause and unpause the game
  • Change to a different mode and back 

Information Needed

If you have this issue, it would be great if you could provide the following information:

• Basic Information about your computer (CPU, Operating System, Amount of RAM, Graphics Card, Hard Drive Space). This is not to blame your computer for the issue but to see what kinds of systems this issue is occurring on)
  • What interactions are your Sims doing ?
  • Are you on a community lot or home lot ?
  • Please add the following files to a .rar or .zip archive and then upload them to a 1-click hosting service (e.g. dropbox). These files can all be found in the following folder: Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\ 
    After uploading, please post the link to the file in this thread.
    • lastException.txt (if it exists. If there is more than one, please include all of them.)
    • lastUIException.txt (if it exists. If there is more than one, please include all of them.)
    • Config.log
    • the entire saves folder

There's some more information in this thread: Multitasking Conversation loop bug (Freezes game, causes lag)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 44 (7,140 Views)

Detective Career constantly lags

★★ Guide

Hi, I've had this issue for a while now.  Every time I'm in the Detective career (and it doesn't matter which Sim I am playing) it constantly lags.  I have no custom content or mods running.  This issue does not happen with any other career.   I've also tried doing a clean install (twice.) 

The problem is this, when a command is executed i.e. browse police database, add clues, etc. is takes forever for this command to be executed.  What will happen is the Sim will just stand there, staring off into space, and it is an at least a 1/2 hr to 1 hr of Sim time that passes before the command is executed.  At first, I thought this to be a problem on my end.  I'm also an IT consultant and I can assure you that all of my drivers are all updated.  In addition I've done some research and I see on the main Sims website in the forum that this issue has been reported as of lately, but it hasn't been reported here at all.

Hope you can help? Could this be a bug worth mentioning to EA?

Message 2 of 44 (2,622 Views)

Hero

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-for-Sims-3-PC-Only/td-p/1049584/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 44 (2,610 Views)

★★ Guide

Hi, Crin

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  Here ya go.

Message 4 of 44 (2,600 Views)

Hero

That looks ok.  You could maybe update your graphics drivers but I doubt that's the cause for your issue.

Could you post a video of the lag you're seeing and also start a new game for testing purposes to see if it's save game related or a general issue.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 44 (2,588 Views)

★★ Guide
Hi Crin,
It looks like the issue is fixed. Nvidia released a driver update this morning and it seems the issue is ok now. I'll keep a watch if it repeats. Thanks for your help.
Message 6 of 44 (2,583 Views)

★★ Guide

I find it enjoyable to convince myself as well however that problem would be data-related if it only occurs at one lot during one specific work event. It would indicate that the task queue is being delayed by background processes which are either returning errors or pending completion. This problem is common where lot data has been corrupted to a point where spawning or summoning of service sims causes unreported errors, or actions fail due to core modifications or corruption of core data. There is never a driver-related condition where one scripted event fails and everything else works perfectly.

Message 7 of 44 (2,576 Views)

Hero

@ja420 wrote:
Hi Crin,
It looks like the issue is fixed. Nvidia released a driver update this morning and it seems the issue is ok now. I'll keep a watch if it repeats. Thanks for your help.

That is great to hear.

I'm accepting this as solved for now to show that you need no further help for the moment.

Feel free to unsolve (cogwheel on the solution post - Not the solution) if the issue comes back.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 44 (2,574 Views)

★★ Guide

Hi, Crin

Looks like the problem is back, but I think I've found a work-around and a possible reason for this.  First the workaround is I'll pause the game until the action is ready to be executed, then resume and the Sim does what he/she is supposed to.

I also did a factory reset of the Sim and employed a lone Sim in the Detective career and there were no problems.

I went back to my saved games, and the problem occurred, but by using my pause/resume workaround method - it seems to be eliminated.  When I go off lots to make an arrest or investigate crime scenes, the issue does not occur.  It seems to occur only at the station and with any character who is a detective. Now I can tell you I have many Sims in the Detective branch, at least ten by my count.  Could that be a possible reason for the lag? 

Message 9 of 44 (2,539 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

To me it sounds you have a dead lock issue. Is this possible ? Like one Sim is waiting on another to finish something before proceeding ?

Did you ever send me your save game ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 44 (2,525 Views)