[ARCHIVED] Autonomy and Simulation Lag

by crinrict

Original Post

Re: Sims 4 action delay

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Still nothing fixed.

Hundres from euros for a game that you can't play without getting mad.

Congrats.

Message 231 of 302 (832 Views)

Re: [WORK IN PROGRESS] Autonomy and Simulation Lag

★ Guide

It´s so sad that this is still happening. I´ve noticed that my clock slows down every time when weather changes. Then it turn backwards and gets messy. But I had this problem before seasons so.. 

Message 232 of 302 (763 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yeah, latest patch still hasn't changed anything.

Spoiler

Message 233 of 302 (749 Views)

★★★ Novice

Wow, I disabled Seasons and now my clock lags are gone, now on speed 3 nothing stuck or going backwards.

Message 234 of 302 (746 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Hey Eaxis, can you just implement the code in the mod created to remedy simulation lag in the game while your "experts" work on this? It is sad that for a ridiculously expensive game I have to keep telling people to get that mod because this team has failed to solve this crucial issue in years.
Message 235 of 302 (706 Views)

★★ Guide

I'm afraid they can not fix this problem.

I'm not saying Maxis Engineers are incompetent.

It's a fundament flaw of current python.

Guess who else tried to fix this problem and failed before maxis?

Google.. yeah that google gave up.

Unless maxis has better engineers than google, I'm doubt maxis can fix this issue.

Message 236 of 302 (685 Views)

★★★ Novice
Rip my money
Message 237 of 302 (652 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@zirize Not quite, modding is done explicitly through Python, but the game seems to be written in C#.

Also, once again, a single modder was able to fix about 75% of the problem using python of course, and it's not even that complex. Why can a single person fix the majority of the issue yet an entire dev team can't?
Message 238 of 302 (513 Views)

★★ Guide
Disclaimer : English is not my first language. I apologize first

Loosely speaking, it's a frontend - backend style applicaiton.

Frontend (written in C++ language like) handles graphic,UI, animation and etc, and backend ( written in Python) handles AI,logic and etc. Those Python codes (backend) can be modified by mods which can let modders alter or overwrite AI,logic stuff. You can find this out by examining ts4 lastexception files or making mods. (FYI The sims 4 is more complex and not exactly fit in this describe. like i said "loosely speaking")

frontend(C++ like) - backend(python) style applications are/were quite common specially in linux desktop environments. If you are famliar with them, you can instantly notice their common distinct flaws like out-of-sync progressbar, rubber-banding phenomena, and most of all laggy and poor responsiveness. They are usually caused by python's flawed multi-threading(and also python itself is quiet slow)

I apologize I have to skip the explanation of why python's flawed multi-threading causes these problems and other memory corruption issues like various vampire related bugs and inviting wrong lot issue etc... (Lack of my English skill and requireing some knowledges of computer engineering - if you knew these knowledges you may not comment first place )

TLDR Modders(or developers) can tweak through fine tunning or reduce complexity of sims' AI(AKA dumbing down) and improve certain amount game experience. However it is near impossible to fix all the problem fundamentally unless fixing flawed multi-threading of python.
Message 239 of 302 (503 Views)

★★ Guide
I forgot to mention some "none-viable solutions" fixing this.

1. removing python or replacing python with other languages like lua or go(which google did).

2. make sims 4 a online game( in this case you can use multi-processing instead of multi-threading)
Message 240 of 302 (501 Views)