Re: User Fix Solution to Fullscreen = Gamma/Brightness shift (Full report)

by Beelung

Original Post

User Fix Solution to Fullscreen = Gamma/Brightness shift (Full report)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number GTX 1080
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32GB
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? The_Tibber
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)?
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In the lobby (waiting area before the match)
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Everywhere
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Changing my video settings to full screen
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? Yes
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? 0
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm)
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Minor impact to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? The windows gamma setting is reset when going into fullscreen mode.
What should be happening instead? normal gamma when selecting fullscreen mode
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Press the Windows key and type calibrate, click calibrate display colour. Adjust your gamma to its lowest and then skip to the end of the calibration. Run Apex and go to the settings, Change between fullscreen and non fullscreen modes. You will notice a gamma shift when you change the setting.

So to clear up the definition of this bug.

Its Gamma that is changed not brightness, if you want to find out more about Gamma click Here.

Cause and effect:

Users that have previously adjusted their gamma settings (to a lower gamma setting) will notice this bug as the gamma will reset higher making their screen's look bright and washed out.

Current Solution for users:

Navigate here - C:\Users\"User"\Saved Games\Respawn\Apex\local

Open videoconfig.txt with notepad.

Scroll down till you find this:

Now change the "1.000000" to "1.750000" (you can change the number within the range of 1.00 to 1.75 to match your desktop gamma.)

Save your changes and close your notepad.

Run Apex Legends and use fullscreen.

Solution notes for Dev's:

Best solution would be to have the game identify the users current gamma settings and use that for reference when using fullscreen.

I suggest having the videoconfig.txt file reset when applying this fix, so that the user solution does not add on to the official dev fix making the gamma reduced further than is needed.

Alternatively you can remove the code that changes the gamma so the base gamma is handled by windows.

This concludes my full report. Party hat

Message 1 of 9 (28,234 Views)

★★ Novice

I also have my gamma / colors changed when going fullscreen in Apex Legends.

I customise it in the NVIDIA control panel and it's annoying because Fullscreen has best perfomances but poor colors and Windowed Fullscreen has less perfomances but good colors... 

It would be nice to have the game NOT change the gamma / colors settings when going Fullscreen.

Message 2 of 9 (26,898 Views)

★★ Novice

Exact same issue for me

Message 3 of 9 (26,391 Views)

★★★ Newbie
even still i wont find any change using this fix having very hard time to notice enemies and aim in game. my blacks are shifting towards pitch blacks and in windowed its absolutely fine its better you patch this up
Message 4 of 9 (26,094 Views)

★★★ Novice

I cannot believe this actually worked, this problem has been so annoying i literally thought my monitor was the issue. Go into the videoconfig file, follow the steps, save it as a new file and get rid of the old one.

Message 5 of 9 (22,897 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

2020 and still have the same problem.this fix doesnt work for me,if you set the  1.750000 nothing changing,only the brightness of game..

Message 6 of 9 (19,137 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@The_Tibber Not working for me smh :/
Message 7 of 9 (17,195 Views)

★★ Novice

hahahahaha

Message 8 of 9 (16,841 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just notice that my bar of Brightnees was on '80', but that only takes effect when the mode is in fullscreen, so when i changed to fullscreen i had this problem. I just put it in 50 and is the same as in Borderless mode

Message 9 of 9 (11,156 Views)