by kreatora

Original Post

[UNSURE] [ROM] Camera doesn't auto-focus on Sim after using portal

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? Legacy Edition 1.59.73.1520
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get Together, Realm of Magic, Cats and Dogs, City Living, Vampires, Spa Day, Backyard, Luxury Party, Movie Hangout, Romantic Garden, Spooky, Vintage Glamour
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? in the realm of magic, I traveled to Caster's Alley, and wasn't able to return to "HQ" through the portal
What happens when the bug occurs? Sim disappears into portal, but map does not change to desired area, trapping sim in caster's alley. If given another task to do, sim reappears from portal and acts fine
What do you expect to see? Sim entering portal, then screen area changing back to the map where the library and sages are, "HQ"
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

One of my mods prevented my sims from entering caster's alley, so I tried running the game bare bones, no mods at all. Sim was able to enter caster's alley, but was unable to leave, fading out when nearing the portal, but not actually moving to back to the HQ map. Sim was able to leave the portal and reappear back in caster's alley, but no matter how many times I clicked 'return to hq' the map did not revert to that area

Message 1 of 16 (2,455 Views)

Re: sims 4 realm of magic stuck in casters alley

[ Edited ]
Hero

Factory Reset

Hi

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Put back your save game and try again. If it works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave and no longer needed - if you still have it)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Moving this to tech for troubleshooting as you said it was a mod that caused it in the first place. 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 16 (2,449 Views)

★★★★ Novice

repairing the game, having it remake the files, it still doesn't want to let me into caster's alley. I've deleted saves, kept my mods out of the game, it still doesn't want to work

Message 3 of 16 (2,432 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@BriarRosamelia

To go to the Caster's Alley you must zoom off the map and choose the destination  - best near a shop  - to which you send the sim. This portal works as the door at home and will not transfer you to the map.

I don't work for EA

Message 4 of 16 (2,425 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Really? I thought you had to use to use the portal to get in to casters alley. I noticed the one time I got in it didn't give me a loading screen, but doesn't each area have a limit to how far you can zoom off the map?

Message 5 of 16 (2,416 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@BriarRosamelia

Check it. Standard smile If you choose a place on the neighboring flying magic island and click there on the land your sim will go there alone. If he has a broom, he will fly there. If he has no broom, he will use the portal. The whole land of magic can be seen - no matter where your sim is there. These are not separate worlds to which you have to go through the loading screen.
Message 6 of 16 (2,404 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I did find the alley outside the hq area, but the first time I got into caster's alley, I clicked on the portal and it moved my sim. So I think the portal itself is broken in some way. I've repaired the game, removed all my mods, made my legacy folder a backup and had origin rebuild the game folder, and the portals aren't working right

Message 7 of 16 (2,357 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@BriarRosamelia

If it is as you say and the portals for you in the game do not work, the only option is not to use them and not click on them. Each time, click the area on the other side of the portal with the command "go there" for the sim. He can handle this broken portal without any problems. Standard smile
Message 8 of 16 (2,350 Views)

★★★★ Novice

that shouldn't be the only option. it's a bug, and it should be fixed. it may not be game breaking, but it's still a QOL, and should be brought to the attention of the devs. I'm not expecting a quick fix, just a fix at all. it doesn't even work with no mods and a freshly repaired game, when it should be guarenteed to work at least then. I know mods can break the game, and expect to weed out ones that do, but I also expect a game to run properly when there are no mods at all. I shouldn't have to know the islands aren't on a separate map and be able to use the portals how they are intended, not need a way to get around them since they don't work

Message 9 of 16 (2,337 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@BriarRosamelia

Please do a bug report about this on the bug forum.
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs

Message 10 of 16 (2,320 Views)