[FIXED] Plants change quality on their own (evolve on their own ?)

by Avenagaliene

Original Post

Re: plant quality

★★★★★ Apprentice

Also having this. Key Point, Sulani.

Lot has always had traits Oceanic Paradise & Off The Grid.

Third trait varies: Reuse&Recycle, Great Soil, Dog Hangout

The eco footprint of the neighborhood rapidly went to Green and has been unchanged since very early.

(Off the grid lot with bonus, redid wreck as Eco Community Lot w/bonus items, another house is unoccupied)

It happened before I bought a beehive, and with plants planed after I removed the beehive.

It seems to be this lot, or maybe this neighborhood. I have never, ever had the action to evolve a plant appear! And most are perfect, or will be so withing one growing season. It makes the second gardener aspiration step not doable, as you never get a chance to manually evolve. The only way a plant doesn't almost instantly max to perfect is if it is planted dormant. But you still can't evolve those. The minute it sprouts *BAM* perfect.

Maybe it is designed to flux with the footprint, but that is pretty overtuned. And ironically, prevents the garden related aspiration from completion.

Message 31 of 81 (3,446 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@HechiceraSim  I've noticed Green Eco Footprints = rapidly perfect quality plants. Industrial Eco Fooprints = rapidly normal quality plants. In industrial I harvested a perfect plant I placed down from my library and that action alone sent it spiraling down to nice quality! I've also heard other people complain as you are that with a Green Eco Footprint, suddenly all their plants are gaining quality without being touched. If you are really desperate you can always cheat your eco footprint multiple times a SIM day to ensure it STAYS where you want it. In your case you'd want the neutral. So Neutral Eco Footprint – eco_footprint.set_eco_footprint_state 1

The way to do it is press Ctrl + Shift + C, testingcheats true, eco_footprint.set_eco_footprint_state 1, testingcheats false, press Ctrl + Shift + C to close the cheat window again. I've kept myself in a green state so you do have to do this a little too regularly for my taste, but I'm desperate to keep my perfect plants perfect the way you might be getting desperate to keep your plants growing more normally.

Edit: Now that I think of it, in your case you might want to just go in Options > Eco Lifestyle Gameplay > uncheck the second option to just get rid of eco footprints. It's probably easier and you can just enable it again once you've done that part of your aspiration.

Message 32 of 81 (3,437 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yes, I didn't check those out as it was my first run after the expansion and I wanted to, well, play it.

Gardening was the third aspiration for one of the Sims on the lot, and she died now in my game. Next time I do that aspiration it does look like I may need to turn some of the options off. A better, dev needed, way of handling it though would be for the plants to be ready to (de-)evolve but *not do it on their own*.

That would both allow for the aspiration to be complete, and to show the player what was happening to the plants in real time. Right now it is just a mysterious thing that happens.

Message 33 of 81 (3,400 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@HechiceraSim  I personally just tried getting rid of the eco footprints. Now this is an ongoing game so maybe it is just permanently bugged from having eco footprints from the start. I don't know, but once I unchecked the option for eco footprints and harvested my plants, they all degraded to nice quality from perfect quality. I ended up so frustrated I needed a break because for me the one thing that is game breaking is when my plants are messed with. I love gardening and to see that happen was just a shock. I felt sure a neutral, non existing eco footprint would save the day.

So now I'm left with trying to restart my game with the eco footprints turned off from the start which I'm finding a hard time motivating myself to do as it will have been my 5th restart of the game to try and weed out the unplayable bits as best I can...or go back to eco footprints and just keep cheating my way up to a green eco foot print continually because I've noticed they do stay perfect in even a cheated up green eco footprint. I noticed with the MCCC mod I can go to my vast garden and cheat them back up to perfect, but that takes a really long time, especially when you start from a nice quality.

Message 34 of 81 (3,376 Views)

★ Guide

@PriestessAvenara: for a work around:

You can create a room with all your perfect plants, save this 'hortus botanica' in your library, and use it in your new save. My experience so far is that they stay perfect!

Message 35 of 81 (3,363 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Interesting info. It looks like plants have (basequality +/- neighborhood eco bonus = quality seen). So remove the eco bonus/penalty and you are back where you started. But can you manually evolve those, after work? It feels like a manual evolve is needed to change the base quality. 

@tigrina_tigs were those plants saved before the expansion? If so, their real base quality was perfect. If they were saved after, then it looks like saving locks the quality seen as the base quality for reload. I just wonder if game saves base quality now or quality seen.

Still no way to fix gardening aspiration in new expansion, short of disabling the expansion either wholly or in large part.

Message 36 of 81 (3,339 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@tigrina_tigs @HechiceraSim  Well, that's a tricky question. You see, the plants were grown up into perfect quality NATURALLY with bees and fertilizer and much tender loving care in another game save of mine and I uploaded them into the gallery/my library. You can find them if you look under the name "Cooking". This was all before Eco Lifestyle. Now then, I took those plants from my library and plunked them down in my yard, moved them inside, and let them grow fully for this current game save to save me all of that work. This current game save was made AFTER Eco to be my Eco bug finder/test run/go nuts with all things in this expansion. So whether they count as prior to Eco or not isn't something I'd know because I have 0 knowledge of coding.

I never play ongoing games when I snag a new expansion after the last one made it impossible to keep any perfect harvestables if you changed lots or left the game. They'd go poof. Which is when I accommodated myself, and then uploaded for the community, a bunch of normal ones I refused to evolve even when they naturally started sparkling because at the time normal quality harvestables WOULD stick around and I really just wanted my full garden. After that incident and losing probably a good million simoleons with of stored up perfect quality harvestables, I vowed to make new saves each new expansion and only going back to my other games once the major bugs were ironed out. Hence the snagging of perfect quality plants that I used to be able to do in any save and them stay perfect, and thinking I could keep them perfect without cheats for this new game save.

My wild guess as someone with no actual clue as to how this would work, is the originals are considered Eco plants now because they were downloaded into an Eco game. Mind you that's a guess from someone entirely uneducated on the subject. Sorry for the long explanation. I just really wasn't sure how to answer so I thought if I explained each step maybe you would or someone else would know for certain how to classify my plants. They were cheated a few times along the way so maybe the problem is after that initial downgrade to nice quality the game isn't accepting the MCCC mod cheating back up to perfect.

And just because you were kind enough to encourage me with questions, I'm going to pop off right this second. Have both Eco Lifestyle options turned off, and try a nice fresh start with the same plants that used to remain perfect if I used them and see if this is a work around and entirely my fault for that cheating once or not. I'll get back to you once I've put everything where it is supposed to go and luckily for me I saved them ready to harvest so whichever ones are in season should be ready to harvest immediately. Thank you so much for the much needed push to not give up!

Message 37 of 81 (3,323 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@tigrina_tigs @HechiceraSim  Thank you to the both of you. I finally feel like I can have a fresh start. I tested it out and it WAS my fault that during game play I had used a mod to "fix the damage" of my harvestables. I just went to Willow Springs to throw down just the plants I had in my library from before. This time starting the game with all the Eco Lifestyle features turned off and OMG. I harvested and everything stayed Perfect! Then I went back to Port Promise, a little more nervous there, and got the same results this time in the planters that water your plants for you. So before was my own fault. I feel embarrassed. I'm sorry for being such a hassle. I'm just so happy now I could cry from joy! My plants are acting normal again. I'm even in Port Promise which I was worried would be a problem, and used the planters that water my plants for me.

So far so good. I have one more thing to test, which will take a little longer. I put down a second batch of perfect plants ready to be harvested, saved, and exited the game. After harvesting they remained perfect. My last question is if I play for a day and everything is ready to harvest, will I still get the result of them staying perfect? If so I'm going to flip out with joy. :D Thank goodness I wanted to share all my plants with everyone! Now it's saving me some trouble.

On a side note, I do have one additional question to those of you who are trying to work on evolving your plants. If you have the eco footprint turned off at the beginning of your game can you actually work towards evolving them? I'd love to make Eve fireproof and that'll require the gardening aspiration which I know has "evolve your plants!" as one of the steps. I'm curious if this is a goal I can work towards or not. Also, yes I know I'm spoiled with my perfect plants. After 5+ games of working my bottom off to get them to perfect over time I started using the perfect plants I shared previously because I felt I earned my stripes already. Hahaha.

Edit: Checked to make sure all my plants were perfect after a day and were ready to be harvested. I harvested one, it stayed perfected. I saved, logged back in. It was still perfect and so were the rest that needed to be harvested. It looks like my harvestables are truly saved! I'm so grateful. I honestly can't wait to get back to playing the way I used to, except with new Eco items and a Freelance Maker Career! Whoo! I admit I moved back to Willow Creek. I noticed I was getting the Foul Air moodlet despite my Eco Footprint being off. Oh well. My plants are thriving again. Yay!

Message 38 of 81 (3,311 Views)

★ Guide

@HechiceraSim I made my garden room way before Eco launched. It was not even intentional to have perfect plants, but I happened to create the room during game play and my plants were in the various quality levels they were during the game.

/I thought they would be back to 'just planted' but was quite happily surprised they didn't tbh Standard smile

@PriestessAvenaraI'm glad you got your new game sorted! It's good to know those plants revert to their former normal behaviour if you just turn off eco game play.

/I still think this is sort of bugged tho, as it is impossible to get the Gardener aspirations of evolving, when you do play with Eco gameplay and your Sims happen to live in a green neighbourhood

Message 39 of 81 (3,277 Views)

★ Guide

I had experienced the return to just planted and autonomous evolving in Port Promise in other saves and could live with it. But it wasn’t until I moved my pre-Eco sim and her magnificent plants from the desert to Grims Quarry that the bouncing started. When I put them on the ground in her new home they were all perfect even though only one or two had been before. They remained perfect until I harvested them and from that point on the quality moved up and down at random and I never knew if I’d have normal or perfect or anything in between. I don’t use mods or cheats and all plants had been cared for and fertilised up to the quality they were at before moving. It’s quite disheartening to know that no matter what you do, you have no influence over the quality. 

Message 40 of 81 (3,229 Views)