by MapleSimmer

Original Post

[UNSURE] [PH] Parents don't get teaching moments if adult sibling in house

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.58.69.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get Famous, Seasons, City Living, Get Together, Get to Work, Parenthood, Vampires, Dine Out
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have Parenthood installed while playing a household with children, including an adult sibling.
What happens when the bug occurs? All teachable moments are directed at the adult sibling, who gets to make the parenting decisions. Even for a cousin living in the same household. Somehow this sim has been assigned primary parent of ALL children in the household.
What do you expect to see? For the teaching moments to happen to the actual parents, who have higher parenting skills and closer relationships with their children than the young adult sibling
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I'm at a complete loss. 

Message 1 of 6 (868 Views)

Re: Parents don't get teaching moments

★★★★★ Guide

Can you remove the Sim as a caregiver by either clicking on the adult sibling as the younger ones, or by clicking on the younger ones with the adult?

Message 2 of 6 (857 Views)

Re: Parents don't get teaching moments

★★★★ Pro

Further to this, I find that even if the older young adult siblings aren't caregivers, they will still get asked, though I can't say that I've noticed all the 'teachable moments' only going to the siblings and not the parents.  Once I noticed that they were being asked,sometimes right after they aged up, I started making the older siblings caregivers just so they could also discipline/encourage, and also to help them learn the parenting skill (after reading the first parenting skill book) since they were being asked regardless of if they were care givers.  I try to keep my new young adults busy so that they don't get asked until they've increased their parenting skill.

Best regards,
Jennifer

Message 3 of 6 (830 Views)

Re: [UNSURE] [PH] Parents don't get teaching moments if adult sibling in house

Hero (Retired)

This happens also on PS4. If there is an adult sibling or even an aunt or uncle or random roommate who is not a caregiver, the children will ask them for advice over the parents most/all of the time. The non caregiver adults will also receive the phone calls from the school about behavior instead of the parents most/all of the time. I say most or all because I haven't tested the frequency but I do remember it being a lot.

I don't even keep adults beside the parents in the house anymore so I don't have to deal with the newly adult children getting asked advice over the parents who have high parenting skill and the adult children getting all the phone calls from the school.

Message 4 of 6 (804 Views)

Champion

I see this happening in my game, but I don’t consider it to be an issue that bothers me.

I don’t get the extreme example of parents never being asked. Usually if there are multiple adults in the house, they will all get an even chance of being asked for advice.

I find it to be a useful way for the adult siblings or adult roommate to gain parenting skill, because normally I don’t make them care givers, so they can’t do parenting discipline actions. But it makes sense to me that children or teens would still go to them for advice, as they are adults with life experience. Especially if the parents are unavailable (e.g. off lot at work).

Message 5 of 6 (798 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have this issue too. In my current game's story, I've got something of a foster family situation. Several unrelated kids/teens, a caring, adult woman who has all the parenting skills, and the sort of useless, aloof husband, who always just fixes things up around the house and cares for some farm animals. He has almost no parenting skills and therefore very few options for teaching moments. Yet when the kids go to school, it's always him who gets phone calls about their behavior. I wondered if it has something to do with the fact that he's the first adult sim in the character list on the UI; maybe it defaults to the first available adult on the list.

Message 6 of 6 (552 Views)