[OPEN] Objects no longer able to be placed on angled walls

by SailorCeti

Original Post

Re: [UNSURE] Objects no longer able to be placed on angled walls

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I'm seeing the same: can't place items (curtains, deco, lights, tv, fire alarm) on a singular diagonal wall. But it's not just the singular diagonal wall.

• On a singular straight wall, you can place items only exactly in the middle. Slightly left or right with Alt doesn't work, can't place it.
  • On a long straight wall, you can place items about everywhere, except on the outer half of the most left and right wall pieces.
  • On a singular diagonal wall, you can't place these items at all.
  • On a long diagonal wall, you can place items almost everywhere, again except on the outer half of the most left and right wall pieces. But also, you can't place an item on the middle of any wall pieces. You can place items fine on the line between two wall pieces, but not in the middle snappoint of a wall piece. See screenshot.

Something is definitely wrong with the middle snap point of diagonal walls. And this started with the Eco Lifestyle pre-patch. Tested this all with a new world (all packs installed, no mods or CC at all) by placing the fire alarm.

diagonal wall placement issue.png

Message 11 of 26 (3,459 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@KaldirThank you for the test idea.

I fould out also that two tile objects can't be placed in the center of a two-tile diagonal wall, regardless of how many wall pieces are around it. Basically any time the marker arrow for an object is in the center of that wall, it acts as if there's no wall.

Something has gone wrong with object anchoring in the center of a diagonal wall. Curtains can still be placed on windows in those positions but only if they're anchored to the window rather than the wall (the secondary green marker showing up).

I've tested this on several wall lengths and with a lot of wall objects. Basically right now if an object hangs on a wall, it can't be in the center of a diagonal one and at least half a width from any corner.

Not sure if it's just bad memory but didn't we use to be able to place objects on that edge half tile? Like corbels on open patios and such? ETA: might be wrong about this one. 

Message 12 of 26 (3,407 Views)

Champion

I've got the same issue on the premade house of the Goths. The curtains on diagonal walls (with or without windows) no longer go down with walls cutaway view, because the game considers their placement invalid now. They obviously worked before, because it's built like that in the default house.

Message 13 of 26 (3,367 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Same here. After 1.63 all decor that was placed on diagonal walls prior to the patch, won't go down with walls now. Very inconvenient to play.

And new objects, such as curtains or pictures etc, just can't be placed on diagonal walls at all.

Why can't there be no bugs Frown....

Message 14 of 26 (3,328 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Phoning in to report that I'm having this same issue. The tag should not be [UNSURE], this is a certifiable bug. It's been a while since I fired up The Sims, probably 3-4 months. Today when building I noticed that window coverings can't be placed on angled walls, which definitely used to be possible. Now all of my rooms with angled walls in my new builds have window coverings on the straight walls, and bare windows on the angled walls, which is a very undesirable look. I've attached a screenshot. 

Do we have any EA attention on this yet? This seems like a fairly prominent bug. It's obviously been acknowledged since it's on @crinrict 's list, but I haven't seen any Maxis posts so far. 

I noticed earlier today too, that I wasn't able to place a gate on a fence. I wrote that off originally as my fence being kinda wonky, but I recall the error text was "must be supported by a fence," when the gate was absolutely being placed on a fence. Now I'm wondering if that wasn't related to this bug as well. 

Message 15 of 26 (3,278 Views)

★ Guide
Seconding what @cs3k said, being unable to place any items on single diagonal walls doesn't seem to be something that would be a change made by design.
(if it is, I would really appreciate reversing this decision because it's making diagonal walls barely usable for anything but windows or doors).
Message 16 of 26 (3,205 Views)

★★★★ Guide

This issue is still happening after the September patch. Can't place anything on single angled walls.  This needs to be fixed.

Message 17 of 26 (3,099 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Objects no longer able to be placed on angled walls

★★★★★ Apprentice

I've also had this problem! I believe I've experienced it since the Hispanic heritage patch. Placing wall decor on angeled walls gives the error message "Must be placed on a room wall", while the item is clearly placed on a wall on which it should fit. I've also had issues in placing items on the floor if they're at an angeled wall if the items is angeled as well, making sims not able to use the bed or whatever it is. Placing with bb.moveobjects on fixes the problem temporarily, but it's still a problem, with objects placed on angeled walls sometimes dissapearing if I place a lot or a room. 

Message 18 of 26 (2,763 Views)

Wall Objects Unable to Attach to Diagonal Walls

★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.69.59.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except Moschinos Stuff and Journey to Batoo Game Pack.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a one-segment long diagonal wall, then attempt to place a one-tile wall hanging object (e.g., shower head) onto it.
What happens when the bug occurs? Unable to place the wall object even though there is sufficient space without interruption.
What do you expect to see? Wall objects being able to place onto diagonal walls with sufficient space.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I think the answers in the question boxes pretty much describe the issue.

Message 19 of 26 (2,513 Views)

Re: Wall Objects Unable to Attach to Diagonal Walls

★★★★ Pro
@samsam713 This is indeed an odd design choice of the devs. The move objects cheat solves the problem.
Message 20 of 26 (2,498 Views)