by 99publicidentity

Original Post

[UNSURE] Cat didn't scratch the "cat scratch post", but a furniture

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? all
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? play the game with cat in your household; and buy a chair and "cat scratch post"
What happens when the bug occurs? Cat didn't scratch the post, but always scratch the chair, so I have to replace the poor chair every time.
What do you expect to see? If the player bought and place "cat scratch post", cat should ALWAYS scratch it instead of expensive furniture. Also, add a new dialogue option when the player click a cat doing it. e.g. "Teach not to scratch the furniture" This is not a problem of a mod nor my house design. There are plenty of space and I already have multiple cat scratch post and other cat items, in the same room OR same floor level.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. CandD update

EDIT Crin: Filled form out properly.

Message 1 of 8 (3,385 Views)

Re: [UNSURE] Cat didn't scratch the "cat scratch post", but a furnitur

★ Apprentice

I don't know if it helps but some of my cats (most of them are actually not that naughty!) will not scratch the scratch post till they are taught not to scratch the furtniture. When you see your cat scratch the chair, do you not get the Lecture about furniture scratching interaction under friendly? Is that what this bug is?

Message 2 of 8 (3,333 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

> will not scratch the scratch post till they are taught not to scratch the furtniture.

This is the problem.

What's the point of buying scratch post if they don't use it in the first place?

Have you ever played a household with a child? They will wake you up until you spray a bed or buy a coco light(not sure about its name).

When you bought the light, the child stop bother you again.

When I bought cat scratch poll, I'm expecting all cats scratch that instead of random furniture, from chair to bed.

> do you not get the Lecture about furniture scratching interaction under friendly?

No, when my household sim click it, there's just "Friendly introduction" "Shoo" option.

"Lecture xxx" option should ALWAYS be available - why the sim should do "friendly interaction" to insult pet's behavior?

=========================================================

Dear EA, tell the scratch post factory manager to improve your product.

Your pet product is not working as intended.

Consider adding some "Actinidia polygama" into it, so the cat will scratch your product more often.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_powder#Pets

Message 3 of 8 (3,316 Views)

★ Apprentice

My current kids wake up 2-3 times a night even with the stupid light. Funny thing, some kids are never attacked by the monster, and some get multiple attacks a night. I have no clue what triggers that. It's driving me insane.

As far as I know, there should be a tell them off option under the Mean ones too, I don't know its name.

For me the Lecture bit does not appear if the sims do not consider pets 'theirs' - which drives me insane, as I cannot tell off any pets that visit my vet. But at least for my pets - the option is always there. Buggy, as sims seem to have massive routing issues because of it (who knows why), but usually works pretty fast too.

I agree that cats should scratch the scratching post, but tbf my irl cat still prefers sofa to his so that is not always that peachy Wink

Message 4 of 8 (3,278 Views)

Champion (Retired)

It's not really immersive that cats should know not to scratch furniture just because you have a post no? I think it's realistic that they still have to learn not to scratch other stuff. The point of buying a scratch post is probably that the cats are happy when they're able to scratch it? Or why do you buy one in real life? :O
Just because you have one in your home (IRL) doesn't mean the cats understand that they can scratch only the post and nothing else!

And you probably have to do introduction before lecturing them (there should be rude introduction and cautious introduction too though). Why do you have cats in your house that you aren't introduced to? Standard smile

Message 5 of 8 (3,269 Views)

★★ Guide

> kids wake up 2-3 times a night even with the stupid light.

Kids... you mean "Child", right?
Off-topic, but here's a solution for you;

1. Place a coco light above the bed. (above bed's head position)
2. If you're using "auto light" system, make sure coco light is always on.
3. If you have multiple beds in same area, make sure these are within coco light's radius.
(1 cocolight is enough to cover 5x4 radius)

If your house met these requirements, your child won't bother you.
(source: me, playing 2 different housemodel and household with multiple child)

> tbf my irl cat still prefers sofa to his

Well I trained my IRL cat(passed away year ago) not to scratch anything except a small tree stump.
It's easy, just buy a strong catnip and add it to stump's hole.

> Lecture bit does not appear if the sims do not consider pets 'theirs'

Yes. Some of household sim don't recognize their pet until I click "Friendly interaction".

1. Cat is scratching something.

2. Sim do friendly interaction. Cat stopped his action and talk to the sim.

3. A few minutes later, cat scratch something.

4. (Repeat to 2)

anyway... this sim's cat like to scratch all beds and sofas... someone help LOL

Message 6 of 8 (3,259 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

> It's not really immersive that cats should know not to scratch furniture just because you have a post no?

Then why the sim cat automatically know about "litter box"; how to use it and where they're located?

> Why do you have cats in your house that you aren't introduced to?

You have a point, but currently I'm having a bug which all household sim forget about their pet each night(reset relationship completely). That's why.

Message 7 of 8 (3,258 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

The fact that Lecture is not available after your pet scratches furniture definitely sounds like a bug. I'm guessing this is happening because of the more serious issue, your household Sim forgetting about their pet each night. Lecture requires the proper relationship bit. Can you confirm you're seeing this issue of relationships being reset with zero mods and CC? If so, could you share a save file so we can investigate further? Thanks much! https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Team/m-p/6065...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 8 of 8 (3,241 Views)