Re: Alt Place Windows Causing Severe Clipping

by SailorCeti

Original Post

★ Expert
@MapleSimmer the windows aren't on the same grid tile. They are on seperate tiles (not stacked atop each other as shown in that twitter post).
Message 11 of 21 (1,794 Views)

★ Apprentice

I have the same issue. Place two windows side by side normally. Then move one off grid, away from the other (in between wall pieces). Then try Moby the second window next to the first one. It won’t let you. 

Message 12 of 21 (1,813 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@InfiniteVerve The issue with windows and doors not being able to share the same grid doesn't just apply to stacking, it applies even if a window and door (or two doors/ two windows) are on the same grid side by side. Just to clarify, here's an example of where a window and door are trying to share the same grid tile and because of that, you can't see through half of the glass door; I used a wall covering from Get to Work to indicate where the grid is. Please note that I have moveobjects on since the game wouldn't allow me to place them on the same grid otherwise, even with the alt key. 

That's what SimGuruGeorge was referring to when he replied to the tweet about stacking when he said

"Note, that if you 'nudge' your single tile windows over onto two tiles, it will take up both of those tiles." Standard smile

Best regards,

Jennifer

Message 13 of 21 (1,786 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@MapleSimmerIf it works just fine on full grid tiles, why doesnt it work in between grid tiles? (like not pressing alt between grid tiles) shouldnt it be the exact same thing just moved over half a tile?

Message 14 of 21 (1,767 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I had a similar issue described here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Bugs-after-June-3rd-Patch/m-p/9169466#M133078

though in my case the placement was definitely on the grid (I placed the doors and windows there before the patch and hadn't moved them). Also changing the position of the windows outwards or changing the door to a smaller one didn't help either.

Message 15 of 21 (1,730 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I was asked just to explain what is happening here since I have experience making buildmode items, and it's not actually a bug. It is just how it was done to implement this feature while still obeying how windows and their cutout work. 

Each window has an equivalent cutout and equivalent resource for it's size. So say we have a 2 tile window, it has a cutout that says it is 2 tiles and cuts out the wall for it among other things. The cutout must be the only one on that 2 tiles it is placed since multiple cutouts cannot be overlapped. That is just a limit of the system in place.

Now in comes the patch. We can now move 1/32 of a tile with alt or now default 1/2 tile or 1/4 tile with F5. Although we have this more flexible movement and placement, the rule that a cutout cannot occupy the same space still applies. In this case we much look at a full tile when moving the windows over. Cutouts still cannot be applied to a half tile after the patch because that would imply 2 cutouts being applied to the same tile space. This is just not possible, even with the update. So in a lot of the examples I have seen, people are trying to place more then 1 window over a single tile causing the issues. This is just a limitation of how windows and cutouts are coded into the game engine, not a bug. This is how I understand it from my perspective. 

Simply put, windows and their cutout cannot occupy the same tile, even with the new 1/32 tile placement. If 2 windows occupy a single tile at the same time, the cutouts wont work properly. 

Message 16 of 21 (9,181 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@strangealien22 "Windows should stay windows and not just blank out to frames. Alt place means I can free move things and as a builder who waited for this update I’m seriously disappointed this bug wasn’t worked out first" This is not a bug, they said in the livestream that the doors and windows can be moved freely BUT they can't be put within the same square. So, for example you can't put windows above each other.
Message 17 of 21 (1,670 Views)

Re: [UNSURE] Can't place doors/Windows close together (ALT)

★ Apprentice

I am having this issue as well. It doesn't make sense to have the alt placement/half tile placement for windows and doors if you now cannot place windows next to each other on half tiles. As a builder, I was extremely excited for this feature and now I can barely use it.

Message 18 of 21 (1,617 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

It's still possible, even if they can't be on the same tile, but maybe someday down the road they may have way for this to work out.

Message 19 of 21 (1,596 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Having the same issue with the waning half moon window.  I am living in the EA made home and can't duplicate their window.

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 9.35.20 AM.png

Message 20 of 21 (1,282 Views)