Re: New Door and Window Problem

by azebeenite

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[UNSURE] Can't place doors/Windows close together (ALT)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.133.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? the free ones
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? put a door in between grid lines then try to put windows right beside it,
What happens when the bug occurs? it doesnt allow you to put doors and windows beside eachother in between grid lines, with the move objects cheat on, it allows you to but it blocks the other (window or door that is beside) with wall
What do you expect to see? you should be allowed to place windows and doors next to eachother when off grid lines
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. june 3rd 2020 patch

fourth screenshot of bug:

https://twitter.com/anarozaliamarie/status/1268310236189855745

fifth screenshot:

https://twitter.com/anarozaliamarie/status/1268314144517677056

the screenshots with walls in the door/ windows have the moveobjects cheat ON

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 21 (7,745 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Alt Place Windows Causing Severe Clipping

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I was asked just to explain what is happening here since I have experience making buildmode items, and it's not actually a bug. It is just how it was done to implement this feature while still obeying how windows and their cutout work. 

Each window has an equivalent cutout and equivalent resource for it's size. So say we have a 2 tile window, it has a cutout that says it is 2 tiles and cuts out the wall for it among other things. The cutout must be the only one on that 2 tiles it is placed since multiple cutouts cannot be overlapped. That is just a limit of the system in place.

Now in comes the patch. We can now move 1/32 of a tile with alt or now default 1/2 tile or 1/4 tile with F5. Although we have this more flexible movement and placement, the rule that a cutout cannot occupy the same space still applies. In this case we much look at a full tile when moving the windows over. Cutouts still cannot be applied to a half tile after the patch because that would imply 2 cutouts being applied to the same tile space. This is just not possible, even with the update. So in a lot of the examples I have seen, people are trying to place more then 1 window over a single tile causing the issues. This is just a limitation of how windows and cutouts are coded into the game engine, not a bug. This is how I understand it from my perspective. 

Simply put, windows and their cutout cannot occupy the same tile, even with the new 1/32 tile placement. If 2 windows occupy a single tile at the same time, the cutouts wont work properly. 

View in thread

Message 16 of 21 (9,003 Views)

All Replies

Sims 4- Windows won't place next to each other on half tiles

★★ Novice

Since the new Sims 4 update today, June 3, 2020, it won't let me place windows on half tiles right next to each other. When I have Move Objects On, the window will place, but with a glitch. I didn't think this would be an issue with the "Free Placement" update.

Message 2 of 21 (7,482 Views)

Hero
@azebeenite Did you try the alt key ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 21 (7,723 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@crinrict yes, it doesnt work, and even with moveobjects on, there is walls in the doors/windows
Message 4 of 21 (7,717 Views)

Alt Place Windows Causing Severe Clipping

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.133.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons, Holiday Celebration Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Enter moveobjects on. Alt place several windows close together.
What happens when the bug occurs? The windows clip each other or stop showing up when you put them so close to each other
What do you expect to see? Windows should stay windows and not just blank out to frames. Alt place means I can free move things and as a builder who waited for this update I’m seriously disappointed this bug wasn’t worked out first
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. June 3rd 2020 patch caused this bug with the introduction of alt place for doors and windows

Windows cause each other to not work if they are too close to each other 

Message 5 of 21 (7,697 Views)

Hero
@strangealien22 Sorry, bit tired and not a build myself but is that what you mean: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/New-Door-and-Window-Problem/m-p/9169558 ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 21 (7,687 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

Also having this issue (and this). Have latest patch, no mods, brand new save (because ...the patch issues).

Pic 1 (and 3) is without bbmoveobjects, and pic 2 is with bbmoveobjects on

Message 7 of 21 (7,669 Views)

★★★ Novice

@crinrictthats definitely the same problem I’m having, I hold alt like I’m supposed to and windows clip each other. I haven’t tested doors yet, though.

Message 8 of 21 (7,661 Views)

Hero
@strangealien22 Merged then

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 21 (7,651 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Keep in mind that separate windows and doors still can't be on the same grid tile (per this response by SimGuruGeorge to a tweet asking if we can stack windows after the Jun 3/20 update).  So if you use the alt key to place a one grid window on two grids, no other window or door can go in either of those two grids. https://twitter.com/nando_sims/status/1263565990689980418 

Best regards, 
Jennifer

Message 10 of 21 (7,552 Views)