by Egozi44

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

UI lags, game take forever to launch, take forever to open load menu

★ Novice

Product: Command & Conquer Remastered
Platform:Steam-PC
Summarize your bug TD's UI lags (like really really lags), opening the menu to load take a lot of time and give a short message about losing connection (I think at least, it's disappears really fast I have no time to read it), and launching the game can take up to 3-5 mins after the last update Also not sure if it's related but after the last update the last GDI mission start with no music.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Not sure, it mostly happens to me after the last steam update
What happens when the bug occurs? I start to hit my head over the wall cause the UI became inapproachable and takes foroever to do something, it's feels like all of the menu UIs aside the one from in-game work in slow motion, include the game launching
What do you expect to see? To see the UI work flawlessly like it did before that last update, and that the game launching and loading won't rely on internet conncetion

TD's UI lags (like really really lags),

Opening the menu to load take a lot of time and give a short message about losing connection (I think at least, it's disappears really fast and I have no time to read it),

and launching the game can take up to 3-5 mins after the last update

Also not sure if it's related but after the last update the last GDI mission start with no music.

Message 1 of 5 (2,160 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: UI lags, game take forever to launch, take forever to open load menu

★★★★★ Novice

I'm finding that having a high quantity of saves is deteriorating UI performance. I was advised to prune them out but it takes so damn long. -- 15 seconds per save, and no bulk/multi option.

This needs to be patched.

View in thread

Message 3 of 5 (2,088 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice

Update, it's seems that using steam offline mode solved most of it (as part of me suspected)

Message 2 of 5 (2,115 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I'm finding that having a high quantity of saves is deteriorating UI performance. I was advised to prune them out but it takes so damn long. -- 15 seconds per save, and no bulk/multi option.

This needs to be patched.

Message 3 of 5 (2,089 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Yeah just found it out recently, all of the slow down issues I had were caused by steam sync (even though cloud saves were off) and the fact that the game in launch ver didn't overwrite saves nor had any limit for the quick saves, which result in a massive 8gb of saves the steam sync obsessively tried to scan and upload each time I played the game, that caused a huge launch delay and slow down my game UI nearly 99% of the time.

Also about removing the saves, I just removed them from the folders so it took 2 secs for me xP

Message 4 of 5 (2,017 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Part of the problem is that each save contains a full size screenshot, uncompressed. So the higher resolution of your game/screen the larger each save will be. -- This screenshot is used for the thumbnail you see in the Load Game menu. -- I think this is already being discussed internally, but this screenshot should ideally be thumbnail sized, or at least be written as a JPEG stream with high-ish quality (75-85), which would dramatically reduce the size of saves even in 4K sizes.

@Egozi44 wrote:

Also about removing the saves, I just removed them from the folders so it took 2 secs for me xP

I did try deleting the saves locally but as I use Steam Cloud the sync process just brings them all back. Otherwise yes if you don't care about your saves/progress being lost should your local storage die, you can do just that.

Its worth noting that if your local storage did die you'd very likely lose all your progress in the Mission Select menu too.

Thanks for confirming that flushing the saves resolves this though. I did ask a mate about this, whom also mentioned his UI was laggy lately, but also pruned saves to resolve it.

Message 5 of 5 (2,009 Views)