The AFK timer kicks players that are spectating matches in HS

by DYSPROssium

Original Post

Highlighted

The AFK timer kicks players that are spectating matches in HS

Product: Star Wars Battlefront II
Platform:PC
What is your issue related to? General
Summarize your bug In Hero Showdown (HS), if you are killed by the opponent team and are spectating your teammate, you can be kicked by the AFK timer due to inactivity.
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? DYSPROssium
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
Can you tell us the date (MM/DD/YYYY) that you saw the bug? 23-01-2019
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) -
In what game mode did the bug occur? Hero Showdown
What is your time zone? ECT - GMT + 1:00
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play Hero Showdown. Kill 1 opponent player and get killed yourself. Then let the match go on and spectate your team member. The AFK timer will kick you for inactivity if the match takes long.
What happens when the bug occurs? You get kicked for inactivity while you are spectating your team member
What do you expect to see? Not being kicked and able to spectate.
Please select your region Europe
AMD or Nvidia Model Number -

I have not had this issue myself, because it depends on the players in your server. However, this issue is posted often across the internet and has never been fixed. So I thought a bug report would create some awareness for this issue.

The AFK timer in HS is really bad. Players that do not do anything are often left in the game for very long times and aren't kicked. I will make an example video of this later on. However, this is a non-related issue.

To solve this issue, the AFK timer shouldn't work if you are spectating. You cannot move, so it shouldn't kick you. If you don't move in the next round, then maybe something need so be done to ask input from the player.

Thread on Reddit with players talking about this issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/ajqt6f/this_needs_to_be_said_again_until_it_is...

There you go,

Message 1 of 9 (2,726 Views)

Re: The AFK timer kicks players that are spectating matches in HS

★★★★★ Expert

Yes, some players told me about this BUG, although I didn't experience it yet. But yeah, it makes no sense to be kicked for being afk while you can only expectate

Message 2 of 9 (2,667 Views)

★ Guide

I was waiting in GA for a hero to become available for play and got booted for inactivity.  Is that a bug?  It made sense at the time but i was bumbed out cause i saved all my battle points to play as a hero for once only to get kicked.

Message 3 of 9 (2,660 Views)

I don't think that is a bug, @Centennialpigon! When you wait in the spawn screen, the game doesn't know why you are waiting and thus kicks you from the match. When you are waiting for a hero slot to open up, you are voluntarily waiting in the spawn menu. So when the message of "inactivity detected, kicks in ..." shows up, you can still spawn and go on in the match.

In Hero showdown, however, players are not voluntarily waiting. They cannot spawn because they are waiting for the match to end by spectating the teammate.

Message 4 of 9 (2,645 Views)

★ Guide

Ok. Thanks for the clarification.  So, what happened to me is normal, and not what you are posting about?

Message 5 of 9 (2,628 Views)

★★ Guide
Yeah it's not just hero showdown....but also Hero Starfighter assault, Ewok Hunt. Basically any game mode where it takes a long time and your sitting there waiting for people to join the game or the next round to start.

They didn't give the AFK automatic disconnect timer to any of the other game modes, except GA. Right now GA is the only game mode that notifies you that you are about to be autokicked for inactivity; however, the game will still autokick you for inactivity without the notice.
Message 6 of 9 (2,571 Views)

★★★★ Pro

It kicks when you're waiting in lobbies for more players to show.  Had this happen so much that now I feel the need to constantly be fiddling with something, just to show I'm still active.  Annoying when you've been waiting, finally get enough people, then one gets kicked.  Then you have to wait for someone else to pop in.  Then it's all good, match is going to start...and another player gets kicked.  Rinse/repeat.  Ugh.

Message 7 of 9 (2,569 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I was kicked for standing still because we were doing 1v1s in HS, and I was just watching. Note, I wasn't standing completely. I was still moving my camera around so I could see the fight. I wish that instead of immediately kicking the player, it asked for some kind of input.

Message 8 of 9 (2,343 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Typhonidite 

They drastically reduced the idle time in the last patch (or maybe the one before), and by your input it seems moving the camera isn't enough to make a character not be considered idle

What's funny with all this is that only in the first 6 months of this game that AFK Farmers were a serious issue, and back then they either ignored the issue, tried methods to fix it but failed miserably, or just told us things about fixing the issue to make us complain less but that weren't true at all.

But now that AFK Farmers are a thing of the past, and those that still do it are very rare, they decide it's time to get more strict with idle players being kicked due to 'inactivity'.

The same they've been doing with patching holes in walls, after they finally rendered this exploit useless in HvV, which was a major exploit and the most important reason for many players to ask that HvV stopped having the Target System (as asking for fixes usually resulted in devs ignoring them or taking months or more then a year to address, so players decided it was better to ask for a change in ruleset to remove the issue from causing harm to the mode).

Message 9 of 9 (2,273 Views)