That one time I tried be a hero and killed all my friends

★★★ Newbie

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number Nvidia GTX1080
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16GB
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? FallingFlamingos
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? Gibraltar
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. We were covering behind a rock formation, taking heavy fire from an approaching enemy squad in a cave opening.
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Attempting to use my mortar strike ultimate to provide local cover for my team and myself.
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? Yes
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? Maybe 3
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 20.02.19 04:25
How often does the bug occur? Rarely (0% - 9%)
How severe is your issue? Minor impact to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? You activate your ultimate and then decimate your own squad. Bits of your friends everywhere. Not a good time. Not very defensive.
What should be happening instead? The enemy squad around you take mortar fire, while your team moves slowly.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go into a match with a team with Gibraltar and use your defensive bombardment as cover. Might help to have one team mate down, that's what we had.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but according to all the fan and strategy sites/video tutorials I can find on this subject on the internet, I appear to have found some inconsistencies since the last update. Just to be clear, as far as I've seen everywhere, friendly fire is not possible in Apex Legends. Until now.

To explain it, my team and I were slowly approaching the circle, playing the edge of the ring carefully and methodically moving our way from building hub to building hub looking for attachments. 

Following the sounds of local gunfire, my team and I carefully ambushed the winners of the previous battle and after looting them we began to follow the edge of the mountains closer towards the new circle. 

It was here we were ambushed, as another team quickly began firing from the cover of a nearby cave taking the opportunity to knock down one of my teammates, take out my entire shield, and force us into an uncomfortable cover, behind nearby rock ledges. They were advancing quickly, with the better ground and only one of my squad laying down suppressive fire, we were in dire straights.

My downed teammate strained as he attempted to reach us behind cover before his paltry level one knockdown shield was taken out.

The other was quickly losing health, as there was no viable position for them to take that didn't involve getting peppered with holes.

And I was in no better spot, squatting behind a used supply bin watching as my allies fell before my very eyes. And then I had an idea. THE idea.

"I'm gonna call in a mortar strike on top of us."

I slammed "z" down on my keyboard and threw the little sucker down four feet in front of me.

And then all hell broke loose. 

As mortars began to fall enemy fire quickly died off, as they attempted to flee outside the kill-zone. Taking my opportunity, I ran towards my downed teammate. 

As one of my enemies fell I felt a new sense of vigor, and just as I was about to reach them to complete my act of absolute heroism, I saw it.

Almost in slow motion, I watched the mortar as it entered my screen directly above my friendlies head. It cascaded down, spiraling, and landed directly on top of him and exploded.

I saw the hit marker. Bits of friendly everywhere. His loot box entered reality from an unknown space and I knew we had been betrayed.

"Oh * I gotta move."

That's what I was thinking, but pretty much at the exact time I was murdered by my own mortar. My whole squad was done. 

And in the loading screen, where it displays the face of your killer; It was me. I was the betrayer. 

So that's the story of that one time I tried be a hero and killed all my friends.

Message 1 of 1 (61 Views)