by minimonsterscott

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] Problems placing wall styles and fencing on sub level basements

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.49.65.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except Laundry Day
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Make an open-level 4-story basement (a space between the 'foundation' walls (not: foundation) and the main building's walls. Try to re-color a wall on sub 2 (second level down) and the game does not seen to recognize the separated walls.
What happens when the bug occurs? One can flood-fill texture, but not paint individual wall 'tiles' *without* the whole thing sealing off with a floor-less ground level showing up and covering the lower levels, which then is also unresponsive to being altered, forcing one to either 'Undo" the wall covering or re-do the entire basement. Also happens with any changes to any fencing on sub 2, as well.
What do you expect to see? The walls being covered (individually) *without* making a huge, unalterable structural change to the open-'foundation'.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I fully realize that this kind of 'Architecture' is not at all common among Sims 4 builders, it is something that I however LOVE to be able to utilize. This occurs with both old, altered (added sub levels onto) builds and new builds from scratch. I am willing to provide an example lot (such as the one I am currently working on) for anyone to see the result of the interaction with sub 2 for themselves, if they do not feel up to/want to make a four-level open-air basement foundation for themselves. Note: as I stated in the bug description, I am NOT using any foundation for the building itself, all is level-to-the-ground. Of course, this has only been an issue since the extra (much appreciated) extra 2 basement levels were added as a possibility (along with the terrain tools, which were not at all utilized while building).

Message 1 of 10 (1,377 Views)

Re: Sub 2 Basement level issues

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@minimonsterscott I tried to build a structure similar to what you've described but did not encounter any issues painting the various sub basement walls (tested on each level).  However, it would be helpful to see images that show your exact structure, or you mentioned the possibility of uploading your build for testing on the Gallery, so that I can work with exactly what you're working with.  Please tag me with either option.  Thanks!

Edit:  also, just to make sure, I noted you've removed your mods/CC, but have you also 1) cleared your cache, 2) repaired the game via Origin, 3) created a new save, and 4) tested in the new save after removing them?  If not, that is something to try if others are not able to reproduce the issue.

Message 2 of 10 (1,345 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Hi @BryonyRae! Thank You for responding! I am going to create a new save game, without any CC installed, and make a new lot from scratch with the architecture that I have described, just to ensure that no code has been carried over from any other lot. I figure this is the most 'pure' methodology I can do to create a lot that displays this behaviour. Would it be acceptable for me to package the lot in an archive and upload it to SFS, instead of the gallery? I could certainly do the Gallery, but would not want to 'clutter' the general gallery feed with an unfinished temporary lot, even if many others do just that. o_0 (small edit for spelling)

Message 3 of 10 (1,313 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Greetings Again, @BryonyRae !

I actually did decide upon uploading the test lot to the gallery, just to make it 'official'... I named it Midtown Headache, and added your name as a tag on the lot. An interesting thing that I discovered while doing the test lot is that the walls for this build were all responsive to the wall painting cursor, however when trying to utilize fencing, the issue displayed itself quite well.

I made a gallery on imgur trying my best to give the most detail about the process, and also included images of the lot that prompted me to create this posting (although it is by far not the only lot to have shown the issue). Test Lot Gallery on imgur

All of the usual, 'proper' steps had been taken before I created the test lot, as you suggested (I had already done them all myself, anyways, before creating the posting...).

Thank You (and cinrict as well!) for every thing that you do trying to help our community! Cheers!

Message 4 of 10 (1,308 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Thanks @minimonsterscott - taking a look and will get back to you once I've finished testing.

Message 5 of 10 (1,254 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@minimonsterscott I've been able to reproduce the issues you've reported in my game as well now, using your build.  I think the problems are definitely occurring due to the way the structure is set up with the open stories below ground.  I will add it to our list because while you cannot replace the wall with fencing on those sub levels, you can re-draw the room with a fence without difficulty, and you can apply a wall style holding SHIFT without difficulty - so it would seem like you should be able to also perform those tasks one segment at a time.  I also wanted to note that on the bottom level, you cannot replace walls with fencing in any manner; applying wall styles works properly on this level though.

Message 6 of 10 (1,209 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Thank You @BryonyRae for verifying the issue. A couple of other things about the new basement levels that I would like to add - one related, one unrelated but of the basement itself... First off, I would like to say how very happy I am to have the additional two sub floors, and I would be a very sad panda if they were to decide to remove them...

The related issue, that I have seen mentioned in passing about the new build system in general, is that the issue seems to get 'stickier' (meaning more difficult to avoid/work around) with the presence of a pool on sub three that goes into sub four. It becomes impossible to paint an 'interior' room without triggering the unwanted flooring being created. Just wanted to put that out there, do not know if it is truly any relation. The other one, that I have not seen mentioned in my somewhat rapid overlooking of the issues at large, is that with the addition of the extra two floor capability, the camera (using the Sims 3 camera options), does not want to 'rest' calmly when on a sub one- or two-only level basement, seemingly always wanting to 'fall' downwards to some non-existent fourth floor as the camera's lowest level.  Should probably make a new thread for the issue, but I have been overall OK with it happening of late - I have simply adjusted how I use the game camera to compensate...

Again, Thank You for looking at this, and Cheers!

Message 7 of 10 (1,203 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Update to this issue with the 6/18 pre-EP07 patch:

It appears that this issue is much more pronounced after the recent patch. I was doing my annual building of a starter base NoCC save, with 0 mods and using my NoCC builds that I have made over time for replacing the base lots, and upon placing any of my builds that have open-air sub levels, they all have issues with the open sub-levels getting blocked off with floor-less dirt 'covers' blocking the open level, and those dirt floors are un-deleteable, even trying 'build ceiling' and/or 'build floor' to create fresh floors/ceilings to then delete. I hope that I am making sense.

This happens with subs that both have and do not have pooling on the lowest levels. I have even been absolutely unable to make an open basement at all from scratch. Is this the a new 'feature' moving onward with the game, or is this a bug that needs to be worked out?

Thank You in advance for your response.

[edit: spelling]

Message 8 of 10 (1,114 Views)

Hero
@minimonsterscott Is this the same issue: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/TO-ADD-Basement-Split-Level-Rooms-Irremovable-Basement-Floorin... ?

Bryony is taking a bit of a break and I suck at building :D

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 9 of 10 (1,105 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Greetings @crinrict!

Funny, I was just thinking about this! Yes, it is indeed a related issue. I have this post bookmarked for easy checking up on it, so I appended my update to my original submission. After posting the update, I thought to check up on any other issues that people may be experiencing, and stumbled upon that post, with its many submissions about the new patch affecting others as well.

I had learned to alter my building methodology to prevent my original issue from appearing at all while I build a new lot, but especially after reading the other's issues around opened sub floors presenting the very same 'features', I was surprised (and somewhat relieved) to see that I was not alone with the issue... I hope that Bryony had a great time away from this all, and everyone has their own 'strong suit' with this game, and no matter if you 'suck' at building or not, there is no one other than the two of you with whom we 'plebs' are able to directly interact about the myriad 'features' that are introduced into this melting pot of a game! Thank You for Everything that you do for us!

Cheers.

Message 10 of 10 (1,100 Views)