Re: Surround audio issue

by B3zzkha

Original Post

★★★★★ Newbie

Also had this bug appear, also after that big windows update.      

Message 11 of 22 (2,045 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@greenscorpeon3 same * here
I literally tried everything even reinstalling apex!
I tried different gpu drivers
updated windows
repaired the game twice
searched for compatibility issues
and more
the game is still the same
soooooooo freakin annoying issues
Message 12 of 22 (2,016 Views)

★ Novice
@Modrin26 It fixed after delete last window update
Message 13 of 22 (1,979 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

also worked for me after i uninstalled the last windows update.

Message 14 of 22 (1,966 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@DamnSonBlue what v do you play on now?
Message 15 of 22 (1,959 Views)

★ Apprentice

A lenghty and detailed update on this whole * situation.

Its not Apex Legends or even Respawns problem what so ever.

Important to note is that i have a setup that i have speekers which are connected to the motherboard running with Realtek audio drivers (for some testing i also plugged the speakers into my GPU, thus running on NVIDIAs audio drivers) and i have Cavimanus GX gaming headset, which is running on its own drivers. And the thing is, the headset with its drivers works fine, its the speakers that dont work. This also clears up the confusion of what i previously said that the issue occured randomly, it isnt. Its allways present if i run the game with speakers and works fine if i run with the headset. More about that confusion in the testing results

I did some testing in other games i have and they also have this issue, simply Apex and Titanfall 2 are the ones where the issue is the most noticable.

Testing results:

-In Apex and Titatanfall 2:

If i launch the game with speakers set up as the audio output, i have the said bug (only hear well in front of you). BUT if i change my audio device mid game to my headset, the audio output does change (instead of speekers sounding, the headset now does) now i still have the bug but now in the headset. Similarly if i start the game with headphones audio works fine, and if i switch the audio device midgame, now speakers work fine too. WTF...

Afterwards i tried plugging my speakers into my GPU (how? well i have HDMI to VGA adapter and it has an audio jack) to see what trouble i can get into. Excluding the fact that it sounded funky in general (dont know why, dont really care, its not important now) i got a reverse effect on the surround sound glitch. I would only hear things well if they are behind me and in front of me extremely muffled. And now the best part. So in the other 2 cases if i switch to another device the state of fuckuppery stays yet the audio output device changes. in this one? nope if i either switch to headphones or replug speekers into Realtek drivers now it works perfectly on either variants.

-Hitman and Warframe:

(Note when playing other games i tend to only play with speakers, i only use the headset when playing with someone... or want to enjoy music)

The bug is also present, but beeing third person games where listening to things arround you isnt so important i didnt notice them until testing now.

-Cyberdimension Neptunia 4 Goddesses online

Similarly to Hitman and Warframe, but far more noticable because rest of the party are usually behind you and not hearing them scream when attacking is noticable

-Rainbow Six Siege:

In this testing results where different than Titanfall and Apex. If in Titanfall and Apex the bug would appear whether or not im running the speakers when launching the game, then in R6Siege the bug would dissapear and reapear if i change the sound device midgame. So i launched the game on speakers, bug persists, if i swap to headset mid game, now audio works fine, if i switch back to speakers its bugged again.

Updating drivers:

Somewhere else i saw someone else discussing this issue, and someone responded in the comments that updating drivers helped him. So i tried that, 2 methods. Finding Realtek audio drivers in the device manager and using Windows automatic "find and update drivers" it said that i already have the newest and best drivers. Next up tried second method, downloading drivers from Realtek website. The installer uninstalled old drivers and installed new ones. No result, bug still persists.

Conclusion:

Its not Apexes fault, its most defenatelly Microsofts/Windows 10 update fault.

Since the issue is present in any game where surround sound is a thing, and there still hasnt been a huge outcry on the internet about the issue. My guess not many users have had this update pushed to them (for example my brother still doesnt have this update).

The only ways i can see this beeing fixed (well of course for yourself temporary you can switch to an older windows version) when more people get this windows update and start to notice this bug and riot for Microsoft to fix it. Or if some developer on these forums sees this issue tests/confirms it himself and presents the issue to higerups so someone more noticable than some bitching Windows Customers are complaining about the issue to Microsoft.

Message 16 of 22 (1,921 Views)

★★ Novice

So I found a fix/solution. Thing is in your audio drivers. To be more precise, problem was in realtek audio drivers for me. I installed digital dolby drivers and now everything works fine with me. I followed this guys instructions to install Digital Dolby. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRw8MoQyvzY)

I scanned it for viruses came out clear.

Message 17 of 22 (1,876 Views)

★ Apprentice

UPDATE!

Microsoft are aware of the issue and according to these Articles, the issue has been resolved, rather reverted. It still isnt fixed for me, but i suppose the change will come in a few days.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-1903-microsoft-details-search-fix-as-new-update-bug-hits/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-has-microsoft-cleaned-up-its-update-mess-spoiler-maybe/

Message 18 of 22 (1,820 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@greenscorpeon3 I managed to fix this issue, have made a report here with the fix: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Weird-sound-bug-no-sound-from-front-or-back/m-p/8206737#M15761

You could try only doing the 4th and last step I mention and see if it works, otherwise try doing all of them.

Message 19 of 22 (1,774 Views)

Community Manager

@greenscorpeon3 wrote:

UPDATE!

Microsoft are aware of the issue and according to these Articles, the issue has been resolved, rather reverted. It still isnt fixed for me, but i suppose the change will come in a few days.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-1903-microsoft-details-search-fix-as-new-update-bug-hits/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-has-microsoft-cleaned-up-its-update-mess-spoiler-maybe/

We have this tracked on the Trello board.

Note
Via Microsoft on Window update - KB4515384 (OS Build 18362.356)

"Microsoft has received reports that audio in certain games is quieter or different than expected after installing this update. At the request of some of our audio partners, we implemented a compatibility change that enabled certain games to query support and render multi-channel audio. Due to customer feedback, we are reverting this change as some games and some devices are not rendering multi-channel audio as expected. This may result in games sounding different than customers are used to and may have missing channels."

Workaround
To mitigate the issue, open settings in the impacted game and disable multi-channel audio, if this option is available. You can also search in the Windows Control Panel for third-party audio device control panels and disable Multi-channel audio or Virtual Surround Sound, if these options are available.

We are working on a resolution and estimate a solution will be available in late September.

Link
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4515384/windows-10-update-kb4515384

Blueberry.png
Message 20 of 22 (1,747 Views)