Surround audio issue

★ Apprentice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number RTX 2060
Enter RAM memory size in GB 8
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? greenscorpeon3
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible. ChocoLV
Are you using any software with an overlay? Yes
If yes, can you list them here? Origin, Nvidia Shadowplay (or whatever they renamed it to)
If you disable this software, does that have any effect? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)?
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Simply in the game/match
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. nothing specific, happens in general, doesnt get fixed until maybe if restart the game
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? Yes
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? Issue not connected to time played in one session
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) Happened multiple times since launch of Wraith event update
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? The audio is played only when directly looking at the source (arround 70 degree arc) sound around you and behind you is severely muffled
What should be happening instead? well the surround audio should be working properetly
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Unfortunatelly it feels like this bug happens on random when launching the game. My fried (ChocoLV) claims he has had this issue since the wraith event update and hasnt had a game with normal audio. As for me, sometimes i get the bug, sometimes the audio is fine. Though i think i have somewhat pinpointed the real issue, more about it in the "compose field"

I Belive this to be really important information regarding this audio bug.

I came to this conclusion today when i was replaying Titanfall 2 and i had the same audio issue, the bug probably is the same since i belive Apex and Titanfall 2 are running on the same Engine.

So since the issue now also appeared in Tittanfall 2, I ruled out the fact that the bug might simply be an issue in the newest Apex update.

I had a hunch and i asked my buddy if he also had a major Windows 10 update recently, cause i did. And he confirmed that he also had it. So now my guess is that actually its an issue Windows 10 introduced with its update. I suppose the update broke something in how surround sound works in this Engine. Oddly enough, i havent experienced surround audio issues in any other games so far, but to be honest i havent played many games since last week. (Apex Legends, Titanfall 2, Hitman 2, Warframe, Everspace).

While it appears it might not be your fault for this bug, but if it really is the new Windows 10 updates issue, and they dont make a fix, many other people might have this gamebreaking issue. You might need to contact Microsoft on this one, just like you did with AMD and NVIDIA at the lauch of Apex, when there were ridiculous crashing issues.

(I apologise for only attaching a video of Titanfall 2, but at the current time im unable to also find and capture this bug in Apex. And presenting it in a video will be more complex than showing the example in this Titanfall 2 video.) (unfortunatelly my recorded video exceeds the size limit, so here instead is a youtube link to the video: https://youtu.be/2fJcZ-9QSNs) (if its very important to show evidence of the same bug in Apex, i can do it, afterwards)

Message 1 of 22 (2,323 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Surround audio issue

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

This issue has been resolved with a Windows 10 Update.

You have to go to the "Check for Updates" window and initialize the update there. This update is labeled as an optional update, so my guess it wont automatically get you this update, you have to click on it yourself.

View in thread

Message 22 of 22 (1,843 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Apprentice

This bug has been there a bit before event and even worse after event!
Its not only in the event this happens, it happens everywhere!
I have lost count of every time there is a enemy 2 feet behind me killing me because there is no sound coming from them!
I play pubg and that * works so its not me, its this * up server and game that's broken!
Instead of pumping out skin, fix your damn game!

All overlay is off!
Bug occur often!

It has major impacts to gameplay!

Message 2 of 22 (2,229 Views)

★ Apprentice

Firstly have you updated your Windows 10. So called August 2019 update Build 18362?

If so it helps me to better pinpoint that the issue occured because of something that this Widows update has done.

And Secondly do not give this toxic behaviour to the developers. The excuse "stop making cosmetics and fix your game" is beyond stupid. Do you not realize that there are programmers and there are 3d/2d artists? Those are 2 different people that cant to the thing the other one can.

Also I pointed out that i spotted this bug in Titanfall 2 aswell, which if im not wrong is running on the same engine, thus the issue is bigger than simply a bug in Apex Legends, and since this bug appeared in Titanfall 2 without there beeing an update for months, it is far more likely that it really is something the Windows update did, and Respawn were not the ones to screw it up.

Message 3 of 22 (2,213 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@B3zzkha same here, i cant hear footsteps, gunfire and my teammate pings
Message 4 of 22 (2,204 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Can add that sometimes, not always, the sound when droping disappears until close to ground.

Message 5 of 22 (2,200 Views)

★ Apprentice
@B3zzkha if you mean when jetpack noise becomes scilent until the end of descend, im pretty sure thats a different bug. And i wouldnt say that its important
Message 6 of 22 (2,141 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Not important but still falls under sound/audio issue if its not intended 

Message 7 of 22 (2,125 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdTOy6Lnx2c

Same thing but restarting game/PC doesn't help
Started right after update to win 18362.356

Message 8 of 22 (2,086 Views)

★ Apprentice

yup yup that is exactly the issue.

So i belive we have pinpointed this issue to be related with the newest Windows update. The question is, is Apex (and Titanfall 2) the only games where you have noticed this issue? So far i still havent noticed anything out of ordinary for any other games i play, only these 2.

Which makes me belive that whatever this Windows update did, broke something in the engine that Apex and Titanfall is running on.

The real question is who needs to be the one to fix this issue, Respawn or Microsoft.

I hope some dev finds out about this and tries to make some contacts and resolve this issue.

Message 9 of 22 (2,064 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@greenscorpeon3 i have version 1809, i have an update for windows 10 v. 1903.

Secoundly, im sorry, i lost my job not long ago, bad day, tired, stressed and worry for my family. Really * day and i couldn't be more sorry. I know that they are 2 different team, more like should remember.
Message 10 of 22 (2,049 Views)