Starfighter Heroes Update Changed Default Ping Site to Worst Location

by New_Roosterman

Original Post

Starfighter Heroes Update Changed Default Ping Site to Worst Location

★ Guide

Product: Star Wars Battlefront II
Platform:PC
What is your issue related to? General
Summarize your bug Since Starfighter Heroes Update, the game says the Multiplayer Ping Site default is the United Arab Emirates instead of Australia.
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? New_Roosterman
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Can you tell us the date (MM/DD/YYYY) that you saw the bug? 07/03/2018
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) 06:20 PM
In what game mode did the bug occur? Starfighter Assault
What is your time zone? AET - GMT + 10:00
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Start the game. Go to Options then EA Account. Instead of showing the default location it will show the worst one with the highest ping rate
What happens when the bug occurs? Instead of showing my default location as being Australia (which has a ping of around 8 ms) it instead shows me as being in the united Arab Emirates (which has a ping of aroiund 470 ms). This means any mulltiplayer game modes it is not looking in Australia for a game but the UAE.
What do you expect to see? That Australia is showing as the default instead of the United Arab Emirates.
Please select your region Australia
AMD or Nvidia Model Number NVIDI GeForce GTX 1070.

The default ping site change means any multiplayer matchmaking is looking not in the region I'm in, but the one with the worst ping rate.

Message 1 of 33 (4,894 Views)

Ping Site constantly resetting

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: Star Wars Battlefront II
Platform:PC
What is your issue related to? General
Summarize your bug Game keep resetting ping site. I chose my ping site with the lowest ping Virginia ( 47 ms ) back off then go to EA Account again it show that my ping site is Ohio ( 53 ms ).
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? -SUCC-SheevHeil
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Can you tell us the date (MM/DD/YYYY) that you saw the bug? 7/4/2018
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) 11:23 AM
In what game mode did the bug occur? Starfighter Assault
What is your time zone? PRT - GMT - 4:00
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Option > EA Account > Ping Site
What happens when the bug occurs? Keep being put to empty lobby.
What do you expect to see? This issue fix.
Please select your region North America
AMD or Nvidia Model Number RX 560

Glitch

Message 2 of 33 (4,807 Views)

Re: Ping Site constantly resetting

★★ Novice

I have the same problem on PS4 in Australia.

Message 3 of 33 (4,773 Views)

Re: Starfighter Heroes Update Changed Default Ping Site to Worst Location

★ Guide

I have done a bit of research and can give a bit more info. The problem seems to lie in one of the four files located in the "Documents\STAR WARS Battlefront II\settings" folder. As I was having problems opening the gamne I used the repair function in Origin. This refreshed all the game files. When I eneterd the game, it defaulted to thge Australian Server as it should. I then played a few rounds opf Starfightrer Heros v Villains on the Australian Server. After that I went looking for a game of regular Starfighter Assault and had to change to the German Server to find a game. Played 4 1/2 maps before I quit.

When I checked my ping site in options guess what? Yep I was back defaulting to the United Arab Emirates server and not Australia.

I had read a suggestion on reddit that a way to fix my problem was to delete the "Documents\STAR WARS Battlefront II\settings" folder. So I tried it. It then had my default server back to Australia. Only slight issue though was it now had unequipped all my star cards from all characters.

Now I'm not saying this problem is permanently fixed after what happened when I played SFA on the German Server caused my problem to re-occur. However I have at least identified where the problem is in the file structure.

Message 4 of 33 (4,819 Views)

Champion

Nice work!

I bet there is something wrong in the ProfileOptions file. In this case, PreferedPingSite has been changed unintentionally. And I suppose this bug will cause many things, like some wrong settings in arcade mode or loadout (because the ProfileOptions file has a lot of information). EA people should fix it.

Message 5 of 33 (4,793 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

You are right Sati_Sati, I have narrowed it down by taking a copy of the files in the settings folder and after the "bug" appears, copy the copied files back over the ones there in the settings folder. When I copy the ProfileOptions file back in, it fixes the problem until such time as I select a ping server other than Australia, and it then re-corrupts the file. Annoying that.

However, I have though seemed to find an in-game work around which so far has worked.

If I play a game on a different server other than Australia, when I finish that game, I go back to the EA Account screen, go to Options, l and change the Ping server to Australia. After doing thgat I DO NOT click on the "back" button, but go to an online game mode and try to find a lobby for a game on the Australian server - even an empty one. I go into the lobby or game for around a minute or so, then I quit. When I go back to options, I've found Australia still selected as the default Ping Server. If I exit the game altogether to Windows, and then go back in (so far) the default ping server has come up as showing Australia.

So yeah EA should fix this, but it looks like I may have come up with a work around for now. I'll update this thread when I have any more evidence.

Message 6 of 33 (4,786 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I have had a similar problem with the Australia site (as I'm from Australia and I play on the PC). If I select another server cause I can't find a game on the Australian Server, after I exit the game on the other server, my default ping server is often pointing at the Unioted Arab Emirate which has the highest ping for me (470+ ms).

I seem to have found a work around which (so far) has fixed my problem. You may want to see if it does it for you. Read this post - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Starfighter-Heroes-Update-Changed-Default-Ping-Site-to-Worst/m...

My other post in that thread at least has identified what game file seems to be causing the problem and where it is located.

Hope that is of some help to people.

Message 7 of 33 (4,732 Views)

★ Guide

I've now tested my work around 4 times, and all 4 times it would appears to correct the problem as I logged back into the game to check the default ping server it was set to and it was on Australia.

So the work around appears to work. However, it is not a final solution as anytime I change the server location to find a game I have tyo do my work around to get the default server back set to Australia.

As such, over to you EA and DICE.

Message 8 of 33 (4,772 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

I'm on PS4 and keep getting mine reset to Ireland 25ms should be on UK 14ms.

@mrLionking17@New_Roosterman's work around works for PS4 but you need to search for your game 1st then go to the EA accounts set your ping site and then sit in the EA accounts screen without backing out, as long as it finds a game it should reset your ping site to Australia. 

Message 9 of 33 (4,718 Views)

PC: Ping site keeps changing by itself after last patch

★ Apprentice

PC: Ping site keeps changing by itself after last patch

Message 10 of 33 (4,682 Views)