Re: Stairs Platform Pathfinding Still Broken

by CGrant56

Original Post

Stairs Platform Pathfinding Still Broken

★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.76.81.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All but: StarWars, Moschino, Country Kitchen, Courtyard Oasis, Throwback Fit
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1) Place a platform on the first floor and raise it up half way to the next floor. 2) Build a 2nd floor and remove both the ceiling/floor above the platform. (make sure the room with the platform is still considered a room) 3) Build a staircase up to the platform. 4) Tell the sim to move to that floor and they won't be able to find a route. I have uploaded a house to the gallery with the name "Broken Stairs"; not sure if there is anyway to link it here. As a workaround I can remove the fence/ceiling above the room with the platform, and the sim will correctly route, but then the sim doesn't treat that room as a room any longer and thinks it is outside. (Puts on shoes, winter clothes, etc...)
What happens when the bug occurs? The Sim just waves their hands in the air saying they can't find a route.
What do you expect to see? The sim walks up/down the stairs into the room.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Every since platforms were first added I've been able to reproduce this. I was hoping the latest patch would fix this issue. ‌

Message 1 of 5 (1,293 Views)

★★ Pro
@MarSara Well, if it is not fixed with the latest patch, you might be interested in the various workarounds mentioned here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FIXED-Open-staircase-cause-routing-failures/m-p/9716427#M16033...
Message 2 of 5 (1,252 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Ya, I'm currently using a workaround, but none of them are ideal, in my opinion as the game ends up thinking the room that has the platform is no longer a room and my Sims dress up in winter clothes, put on shoes, or otherwise behave as if they are outside. Things like vacuuming also do not work. 

Message 3 of 5 (1,242 Views)

★★ Pro
@MarSara Is there a ceiling above the stair well?

Using the sledgehammer to delete floor/ceiling beneath takes out ceiling above as well. In which case the game concludes it is an uncovered space - hence weather.

You can add ceiling back by going up a level and using the "draw fence" tool then control deleting the fence after.

Not sure if that will work with your build but maybe something to try.
Message 4 of 5 (1,199 Views)

Hero

@MarSara  

I downloaded your lot and tested it.  As you built it, I got a routing fail when I tried to send my sim from the ground level to the platform landing.  I had no trouble sending a sim from the platform landing to the upper level at all but got a routing fail when I tried to send him back down to the platform.  But the reason the route failed was pretty easy to overcome.  All you need to do is increase the ground level wall height to either the middle or tall heights.  The routing fail is caused by there not being enough head room over the first set of stairs.  Another way to fix it is to lower the platform by 2 clicks. 

I set the game to winter but my test sim did not change to winter clothes just to go upstairs.  He did put on winter clothes when he got cold though so I don't think that is due to the way the house is built.  I also gave him a vacuum and he could vacuum the upper level and lower level with no problem.  When I teleported the sim to the platform and told him to vacuum, he went to the lower level to vacuum rather than on the platform.  But after either raising the lower wall height or lowering the platform, he would vacuum the platform.

So the main issues you are having are caused by the design of the house as far as I can tell.  A little adjustment or 2 of the design will let your house function properly.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 5 (1,160 Views)