Sims won’t stop trying to go the fridge in the locked room.

by tnpxx

Original Post

Sims won’t stop trying to go the fridge in the locked room.

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.66.139.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? none
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? having one fridge in a locked room and one in a kitchen
What happens when the bug occurs? the sims will only try and go to the fridge that’s in the locked room, not the one i clicked on and told them to go to.
What do you expect to see? the sim to go to the fridge i asked them to go to
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

i think making it so fridges are singular, not shared, would work. if i put leftovers in one fridge, the other shouldn’t have the same contents 

Message 1 of 6 (761 Views)

Re: Sims won’t stop trying to go the fridge in the locked room.

Hero
@tnpxx Would you mind uploading your build to the gallery so I can check this out ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 6 (718 Views)

Sims starving to death in a house with multiple fridges

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 1.31
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons, Get to Work, Citi Living, Vampire, Spooky Stuff, Romantic Garden, Laundry Day, Small Living.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a house with multiple fridges, and allowing specific sims access to specific fridges only.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims will insist to obtain food from a fridge which they have no access to, even if you click on the other fridges, and if left alone long enough they will starve to death.
What do you expect to see? Sims reaching for food / ingredients readily available to them instead of insisting to obtain food / ingredients from a specific fridge which they have no access to.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Hi everyone, I believe this bug is not specific to the latest software update, but something that has crept in in the last few updates. 

I have a house of 8 sims, and the house is designed to keep certain sims from interacting with each other (they flirt uncontrollably and cause all kinds of problems). To keep them apart (and alive), I have sections of the house that specific sims have no access to, and a total of three kitchens that are designated to different sims (through locked doors). What I'm starting to notice the last few weeks is that at least one fridge will quietly lock itself out halfway through a game session, and a sim that has access to a particular kitchen will start waving its hands whenever I try to get it to cook food, as if it has no access to the fridge that it was standing right in front of. Since I don't have the time to check on every one of them all the time (i'm trying to get a few of my younger sims to level up in skills and complete aspirations), I have already have so far 4 to 5 deaths (through starvation) in the house, as a result of sims insisting to reach for a fridge that they have no access to. What's odd is that the affected sims (or fridge?) can still open the fridge designated for them for glasses of water, milk and off-brand soda, but they don't have access to any of the "actual" quick meals (ham sandwich, cereals, apple sauce etc). It's like as if the game thinks I'm trying to starve the affected sims to death and kills them for me. The process of resurrecting them is a pain - wishing well, angel fish, death flower, potion of youth, the usual.

Anyone having the same issue? 

Message 3 of 6 (753 Views)

Re: Sims starving to death in a house with multiple fridges

[ Edited ]
Champion

I’ve noticed they’ll sometimes try to go to the one that’s closest as the crow flies, not as they actually path. So for example if you have two kitchens next to each other, and your sim is standing in one, next to the wall where the fridge they can’t access is directly on the other side (or directly above or below it in another floor), they’ll say they can’t reach it - but if you walk them away from that spot first then they’ll go to the fridge they can access. Is that possibly in play here at all? Though I can’t imagine how they’d never get near enough, unless they just stand in one spot constantly trying and failing to go to the wrong fridge until they die...

Or the opposite problem, and it’s a new & deadly variation of https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Sims-Use-Far-Away-Sink-for-Dishes-instead-of-Close/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer for Answers HQ, I do not work for EA
She/Her
Message 4 of 6 (738 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi Pip Menace, thanks so much for the quick reply. So far I think I've tried two different kitchen layouts, one is where the kitchens are next to each other (the fridges are only separated by a layer of wall) and one is where they are on opposite ends of the lot (this is a 40x30 lot). I've been avoiding multi-storey lots cause it's harder to manage my sims when I can't see what they're up to. Doesn't seem to make any difference to me, for now. The way my current lot is designed is that each group of sims would have their own areas (with amenities at the furthest corners to keep them from getting confused). Seems like the only way to fix the bug for now is to simply save, exit and reload the game, but the problem here is I usually don't know the fridge has locked up (and yes, the hungry sims go away for awhile and will return to their fridge, and they will repeat the process a few times until their 48 hours are up before dropping dead - usually right in front of the fridge). So unless i'm actively checking and clicking on any hungry sims and make them cook their food I won't know they can't access food until they are dead. Since lots of aspirations can be completed in 48 hours, reverting to the previous save is usually not an option for me, and my current PS4 Pro is getting really slow for game save every 10 minutes. I'm tempted to upgrade my console's HDD to SSD but that's not something I want to do for the time being considering the cost of a 2TB SSD, and not knowing if the upcoming PS5 will support Sims 4 or not. 

I guess my gripe here is that the game indicates that when sims are fully automated, they have a fail safe built-in i.e. they won't allow themselves to starve to death. But the way the sims are behaving lately is suggesting that this fail safe is not working, and it is killing them.

And yes, I have the same sink bug as well. A sim would eat its food in the kitchen and walk to a bathroom on the other side of the lot to wash the plate, when there's a sink right next to it.

Message 5 of 6 (715 Views)

Hero
@NickH_Atrileno Merged your post with another thread on this.

Would you mind uploading your house to the gallery ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 6 (689 Views)