Sims stuck at "Acquaintances" Bug

by ILLIODIN

Original Post

Full Friendship Bar But Still Acquaintances???

★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.70.84.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover University, Island Living, Seasons, Cats & Dogs, City Living, Get Together, Get to Work, Parenthood, Dine out, Outdoor Retreat, Nifty Knitting, Laundry Day, Toddler Stuff, Kids Room Stuff, Holiday Celebration Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Not sure, I only have this issue with one sim and I don't know how it happened or when
What happens when the bug occurs? The sims show each other as acquaintances even though the friendship bar is full
What do you expect to see? I expect them to be marked as good friends
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

My two sims are married, live in the same house, have a full friendship bar, but they are acquaintances, not sure why though. In the friendly options, they can become best friends so the game knows they have the bar full but doesn't show it?

So as far as I can tell this is only occurring to this specific pair of sims but I am not sure.

Message 11 of 25 (1,886 Views)

Relationship Not Listed Properly

★★★ Newbie

How often does the bug occur? Rarely (0% - 9%)
What is your current game version number? 1.72.28.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Base Game, Cats and Dogs, City Living
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try romantically partnering up two sims
What happens when the bug occurs? The friendship status eternally remains at "Acquaintances" no matter how high the bars get (both the green and the pink). I even made them official partners and it still says "Acquaintances"... but it does at least register them as "Boyfriend/Girlfriend".
What do you expect to see? I expect their relationship status to accurately convey how good of friends/partners the sims are.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

This is the only sim couple I've done where this has happened. Even as official partners (completed "Ask to be Boyfriend/Girlfriend") the game still says they're acquaintances despite the bars reading that they're approximately Good Friends and Lovers. It does recognize them as Boyfriend/Girlfriend, but still acquaintances. The bars move up just fine as they interact, but it seems to have no effect on their actual 'status.' I really don't think this is due to me doing something wrong, but maybe someone knows something I don't. The mods I have installed have nothing to do with sims' relationships. Will add screenshots when able. 

Message 12 of 25 (1,813 Views)

Can't Make Enemies! Sims stay Acquaintances!

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.72.28.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats and Dogs, Holiday Celebration
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Start doing mean interactions with other sims. Watch as the red bar goes up, and notice that even when it is FULL, the game still is stuck on calling the sims "acquaintances."
What happens when the bug occurs? When I try to be mean to sims to get disliked, no matter how high the red bar goes, the game still registers a neutral relationship "neither friend nor foe."
What do you expect to see? When the red bar goes up from mean interactions with sims, the game should eventually register the relationship as "disliked."
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

This is my first time trying to complete the Public Enemy aspiration, and I am at the end of my rope because no matter how high the red bar goes, the game still registers sims as "neither friend nor foe." I don't have any mods or cc, because I'm too tech illiterate for that. Should I give up on this aspiration, or is there a fix that I'm just to stupid to figure out on my own?

PS - friendly relationships progress just fine. I know because I was able to adopt a stray cat by becoming his friend. This is just a problem with making enemies.

PPS - Can't repair the game because nothing happens when I right click the icon

Message 13 of 25 (1,862 Views)

Re: Can't Make Enemies! Sims stay Acquaintances!

Hero
@Periiwiinkle16 Probably related to this: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Married-sims-who-have-been-best-friends-for-a-while-remain-as/...

Did you get into a fight with the Sim when they still were only a bit in the red ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 14 of 25 (1,828 Views)

★★★ Novice

We fought at about 30-40% red. I tried again with no fighting with Nancy Landgraab, but I'm nearing 50% red and still just acquaintances.

But I'll try the cheat I saw in the link you sent today, maybe it'll work.

Message 15 of 25 (1,817 Views)

★★★ Novice

Update: Apparently the reason is that I just needed to exit the game and start it up again. Truly "have you tried turning it off and back on again?" tier solutions here, haha!

Message 16 of 25 (1,799 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

My Sim was doing the Master off Mischief aspiration and needed to be disliked by two Sims. Nancy Landgraab is so delightfully disapproving of nonsense that when they met by chance and their relationship bar went maybe 1% red (she told Nancy she was a criminal mastermind, lol), Nancy became her main target.

She sent Nancy about six chain mail letters, clogged Nancy’s drains, prank called her repeatedly, etc. Their relationship bar is maybe 75% in the red. They’re... acquaintances.

I wasn’t sure if this was a bug or because Nancy is an adult and my Sim is a teen, but I ended up cheating to get her past that milestone and on to the next step.

Message 17 of 25 (1,726 Views)

Sims stuck at "Acquaintances" Bug

★★★ Newbie

How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 1.75.125.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover University, Get Famous, Seasons, Get to work, Vampires, Laundry Day, Fitness, Holiday Celebration Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a one sim befriend many other household or npc sims and after the green bar is full, progress a into their romance bar a bit. A bit meaning possible a quarter way in or a fifth way in. Afterwards you have done that make the sims avoid talking to each other. {only those sims you interacted with} and you will notice they become "Acquaintances" from the natural decay or the green and pink bars. From this point on whatever you do whether you romance them or friend them they will remain "Acquaintances" even if they get into a relationship or married.
What happens when the bug occurs? They will be stuck with the relationship status of "Acquaintances" regardless of what you do
What do you expect to see? "Acquaintances"
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. It has been occurring for a long time and its gotten worse with new DLC I have purchased.

Simmer things

Message 18 of 25 (1,708 Views)

Re: Married sims who have been best friends for a while remain as acquaintances

★★★★ Novice

Thank you!!! I've been wracking my brain for the last hour trying to figure this out. Making them despise each other and then giving them full friendship fixed it for me

Message 19 of 25 (1,539 Views)

Re: [PS4] Relationships not accurate in relationship menu

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I'm having this same problem, late 2021. At first their relationship bar displayed normally, but when I closed and reloaded the game it showed them them as aquantances. I tried to fix it by getting them to be best friends but it just put best friend next to acquaintances. They are now engaged, live together and have a kid. Not sure why this bug happens. My game shows my Sims as acquaintances that are deeply in love.  

I play on a 2020 M1 MacBook pro, but i have over 3,000 hours in the bank on origin and I've never encountered this problem before. 

Also I've played with a game breaking amount of of cc and core mods and also never encountered this problem before now. 

Currently the only mod I still use is MCCC and I don't use CC at all anymore. 

The edit was for a spelling error and to add a bit more info. Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Message 20 of 25 (1,475 Views)