Severe crashing to desktop (no error) since 2021-03-15 update.

by SteltekOne

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Severe crashing to desktop (no error) since 2021-03-15 update.

★★★★ Apprentice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number NVIDIA RTX2080 SUPER
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Steltek
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Are you using any software with an overlay? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? Horizon, Wraith
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)? Various (Bangalore, Caustic, ...)
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. NA
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Running around.
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? No
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? 0
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 2021-03-17 17:30 CET (+0100)
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? Game crashes to desktop (vanishes with no error message).
What should be happening instead? Game should not crash.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Unknown (issue occurs randomly).

Game crashes to desktop frequently since the Monday 15th March 2021 update. I have had 7 crashes so far (3 within 20 minutes today). One occurred just after loading into the game (before dropping), the others in game (running around, about to get into a fight, ...) on Kings Canyon and Olympus. I have not changed any skins or other settings recently.

The dump files say exception code 0xC0000005 "The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access."

Heap information is listed as "Not present", error Information is blank.

Message 1 of 75 (6,872 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Severe crashing to desktop (no error) since 2021-03-15 update.

★★★★ Apprentice

Just checking in: I changed NOTHING and the crashes just magically went away. My last crash was on 28th March, so I guess some patch or NVIDIA driver update resolved the issue after that.

View in thread

Message 29 of 75 (7,390 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Apprentice

Just had another crash while in ranked. Here are the crash times: (all times CET / UTC+0100)Crash times

Message 2 of 75 (6,856 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @SteltekOne

Are you running Apex Legends through Steam? If so, can you try clearing the Steam cache to see if that helps at all? You can find more information on how to clear it on the Steam Support website

Let me know if you're still seeing any of the same crashes happening afterward. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 3 of 75 (6,852 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Kent wrote:

Hey @SteltekOne

Are you running Apex Legends through Steam? If so, can you try clearing the Steam cache to see if that helps at all? You can find more information on how to clear it on the Steam Support website

I am, yes. Did "verify game files" but hadn't cleared the download cache yet. Done that now. Will see how it goes tomorrow and report back in.

Message 4 of 75 (6,847 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Same issue here. 

I’m crashing frequently since Monday’s hot fix — occasionally 2-3 times in one game. I’ve tried 5 different drivers, apex through steam and origin, and a host of several stable cpu, gpu and bios overclock settings I use for competitive benchmarking and/or gaming — including stock settings, a newly flashed bios and flashing the GPUs with multiple Vbios. 

I’ve tried two different rtx 3090s and a 2080ti kingpin with a 10900k on my Z490 board. Both 3090s are on a custom water loop. Point being, I’m 100 percent certain it’s not my PC and the crashes are related to the patch.

I have experienced some periodic crashes since Apex release. However, my game has crashed more times in the past 48 hours than the crashes from the past two years combined. It’s rather frustrating.

Message 5 of 75 (6,838 Views)

Community Manager

@SteltekOne 

Thanks! Please let me know how it goes when you can. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 6 of 75 (6,793 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Kent wrote:

@SteltekOne 

Thanks! Please let me know how it goes when you can. 

/Kent

Hello,

Cleared the Steam download cache. Ran verify game files. Crashed twice during my 3rd game today: once just after landing, and again 3 minutes after that while I was running around.

crashes

Again, times are CET (UTC+0100).

Video of the crashes:

The 2nd crash actually gave me an error message from Easy Anti Cheat, complaining about a file that's part of VirtualMidiSynth (https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth).

I played 3 ranked games after that, without any crashes. (Only saw the EAC error as I was compiling the video. Uninstalling VirtualMidiSynth now to see if that helps it, though it has been on my PC for a while without problems.)

Other potentially relevant info: Steam overlay is disabled. Only NVIDIA's GeForce Experience is on (Instant Replay is active. Has been like this for over a year.).

Message 7 of 75 (6,779 Views)

Community Manager

@SteltekOne 

I appreciate the info! Have you noticed any other crashes or errors at all since you removed VirtualMidiSynth? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 8 of 75 (6,723 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Kent wrote:

@SteltekOne 

I appreciate the info! Have you noticed any other crashes or errors at all since you removed VirtualMidiSynth? 

/Kent

Just had one right now. (First since yesterday.) Somewhere between my 4th and 6th game today. Taking forever on the loading screen, with the rotating spinner, doesn't help either. (By the time I finally manage to load back in, I am usually dead, or my teammates are several kilometres away.)

If you ask me, this has to be something in the game code, based on the fact that it all started with the latest Apex patch. My system hasn't changed and been running in the same config for months..

Update: And another 2 crashes, first one mid fight (guess what had happened when I joined back in!) and the second one 5 minutes later in the same game after getting respawned and then downed.

2021-03-19 19_52_00-db.png

Message 9 of 75 (6,719 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same thing is happening to me this is also ridiculous because I have spent almost 200 dollars on the game and my game is just crashing to desktop with no error message it has to be something in the game code because I have tried everything I can think of(I have reset my pc, I have downloaded all new windows drivers I have also went back to  old windows drivers, I have switched to steam and etc.) Please help because the game is unplayable.

Message 10 of 75 (6,680 Views)