Re: Second floor roof appears on interior landing when opened to downstairs

by CGrant56

Original Post

Second floor roof appears on interior landing when opened to downstairs

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.65.70.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All that are out as of 7/26/2020
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a house with a second floor and a roof intersecting the second floor. Create a fenced/walled room around the stairs going up to the second floor, then delete the floor to create a landing that should be open to the downstairs. However, the intersecting roof gets in the way and covers the entire room as if it is outdoors.
What happens when the bug occurs? Roof intersects an indoor room (the landing area that should be open to the downstairs).
What do you expect to see? I expect the landing to not have a roof in it and to stay on the outside of the house as it does when I do not open up my second floor.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Hi there!

I've noticed this issue for a while now, but it is really starting to bother me now that I have gotten better at building. In case it wasn't clear from above, here is the issue I am having:

1. I build a house with a second floor, as well as roofing on the exterior of the second floor. This roofing intersects with the second floor but does not appear on the interior, until...
  2. I decide to build a landing/balcony area on my second floor that overlooks the first floor by building stairs, fencing off where I would like the opening to the downstairs to be, and then remove the flooring from that room. Doing so does remove the floor, but...
  3. The roof on the exterior that was once hidden on the interior now engulfs the interior, making it impossible to see past the roof. It seems to mostly affect the room that has been opened to the downstairs.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this on my end? I've tried just about everything I can think of, so I'm thinking it is a bug. 

PS I use Windows 10. Thank you very much!

Message 1 of 6 (3,134 Views)

Hero

@julesfromthemoon 

Yes, this has been happening for me when try to create an open 2 story stairwell by deleting some floor tiles and fencing off the open area.  I have found no really easy way around it.  But there are some things you can do to get rid of all or most of it depending on the build and what you are trying to do.  There is something going on with fences and roofs here.  Octagonal roofs do the same thing too.

The biggest thing you can do is look at how you are using the roofs on the lower level.  See if you can find a way to get the look you want by using separate roof sections rather than using a full roof or like in your pics, a half roof so you can get roofs on 2 sides.  If you can, keep all the roof sections out of the upper floor spaces.  From what I can see in your pics, you could use 2 half hip roofs, one on each side or a half hip on the front and a gable on the side depending on the look you want.

Working with roofs to get the desired look can get really tricky at times so you just have to keep trying different combinations until you can find one that you like or at least you can live with.

Hope this helps. 

Message 2 of 6 (3,089 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'm having the same issue and while I usually find a way around it, this time I can't because of the look of the house I want. I wish this was fixed. there is a full roof on the second floor so that should prevent the first floor roofing coming through.

Message 3 of 6 (1,339 Views)

Champion

@Ardeniia   Hello!  I've found that roofs clip through the rooms like that when the rooms are not complete.  It's difficult to tell from your images but in the second one, it looks like there's a half wall between the two small rooms in the center of the second floor.  Is that correct?  If so, this is likely what is causing the roof to clip in.

Would you mind sharing this lot to the Gallery?  Perhaps we can find a way to preserve the look you want without that darn roof clipping.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 4 of 6 (1,316 Views)

★ Apprentice
@JonaO703 Thank you! There's (supposed to be) fencing on the landing, all others should be full walls... I'll upload soonish, I'm repairing the game atm as my family bulletin board isn't working...
Message 5 of 6 (1,293 Views)

Champion

@Ardeniia   Ah, yes.  The fencing will do it too.  Any room that does not have four full walls is not considered a complete room.  It's probably the thing that infuriates me the most when building.  :-(  

Yes.  Upload when you're ready and maybe name it something like "Roof Trouble" so it's easy to find.  Hopefully we'll be able to fix it!

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 6 of 6 (1,263 Views)