Re: SW Squadrons Origin Launcher Error 2 (Unable to play post 4.0)

by Malcom_Black

Original Post

SW Squadrons Origin Launcher Error 2 (Unable to play post 4.0)

★★★ Novice

Product: Star Wars: Squadrons
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Splinterfuzz
Are you playing in VR? No
Which part of the game is the issue happening in? Other
Please explain 'Other' Launcher
What were you doing when the bug occurred? Step by Step detail is helpful. Playing Star Wars Squadrons then I exited to install update 4.0 today and tried to launch the game.
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. Origin game launcher.
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 11/12/20
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Can't play
What happens when the bug occurs? After exiting SW Squadrons then installing update 4.0 upon attempting to launch the game it will display the EAC/SW Squadrons splash screen, the progress bar for the splash will fully load then the splash hangs for a while and grey out to display "Launch Error Failed to start the game Football" with an exit option.
What do you expect to see? Game launch.
Which ship were you playing? If not applicable, just answer "no" or "none." None
What components were you using? Mouse & Keyboard
Which customizations (if any) were you using? None

I have already tried repairing EAC, repairing game files including deleting some and allowing them to be repaired, moving game files to C drive, reinstalling entire game. Double checked windows and drivers etc. Even tried disabling Antivirus. Was with EA support for an hour and a half to no success.

Message 1 of 25 (3,250 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

This is likely the webroot launch bug. Players that use Webroot anti-virus are unable to launch the game. This bug was fixed back in November but has returned with the December ship update patch.

Message 2 of 25 (3,214 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yep, same issue here exactly.

Message 3 of 25 (3,201 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

This issue was resolved for me today. I think EA fixed it.

Message 4 of 25 (3,160 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm having the same issue. Bought the game last week and it has never successfully launched for me yet. Just tried 2 minutes ago (12/20/2020, 4:33pm Eastern Time, USA) and it still fails. I refuse to uninstall my Webroot and open myself up to malware just to play a poorly coded game. Come on, EA.

Message 5 of 25 (3,107 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Unfortunately, they broke it again with the update that followed the new ship's release, and it's not looking like they are going to fix it before Christmas. I suspect the problem lies with the anti-cheat software the game uses. I'm considering contacting the company that makes Webroot to see if they can help pressure EA into fixing this. This issue is making the use of their anti-virus software problematic. I really like the game, so as EA keeps making it impossible to play with the anti-virus software I use, it's making me wonder if I need to switch to a different anti-virus software. But I really don't want to. Webroot is less intrusive than most other anti-virus software and I've never gotten hit by any bad viruses while using it. Additionally, this is the only game for me where using Webroot has ever been an issue.

Message 6 of 25 (3,067 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Malcom_Black totally in the same boat. I chose Webroot for the same reason. Weird to think there wouldn't be more of a permanent solution rather than come up with a patch after every update. Oh well, nothing we can do but wait for them to fix it and start this all over again.
Message 7 of 25 (3,028 Views)

★★★ Novice

It's pretty bad how they managed to fix it shortly after the first time I experienced it yet here we are the following update after that with the pre-xmas update just to add those two cosmetics and it reintroduced the Error 2 bug so here I am waiting for the devs to get off holiday to fix this... They really need to stop putting updates out in games right before or after they go on vacation for holidays 90% of the time this is when game breaking bugs occur and the players get screwed.

Message 8 of 25 (2,986 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@Splinterfuzz Absolutely, but I've experienced the pressure to get an update out the door first hand. I'm a systems analyst that works in software development and every year I tell the team no releases the week of Christmas. If something goes wrong there will be no one around to fix it. Yet every year a customer pushes us to do it anyway.

So today I'm on vacation, but busy talking with a developer anyway because, what do you know, something broke.
Message 9 of 25 (2,935 Views)

★ Novice
@Malcom_Black dang that sucks bro. but does anyone else know when it will be patched? As of 12/28/20 I am still experiencing it.
Message 10 of 25 (2,930 Views)