[FIXED] [STEAM] HSY missing String files

by Arthur Gibraltar

Original Post

Re: Text Strings Missing for HS Expansion Pack

I have amazing and horrible news! Standard smile

Ok, the good news first: my game is fixed: I'm not sure if it was by waiting or by doing these random changes:

1. changed my computer language to English

2. changed Steam download server to Paris - France

3. used the Play Now button in the game DLC web page instead of Play in my Steam Library

while I was playing, Steam popped up a message saying it had finished downloading The Sims 4.

I closed the game, the Strings_ENG_US.package appeared inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 4\EP12, and the game text is back! Yay!

Now the really, really, really bad news. Even worse because I forgot to do backups since July 16th:
It corrupted my save!
I've been playing while waiting for a fix and the game generated all the new families, lots and etc with wrong names like "TEMPLATE_HS_PRESCOT" (something like that) or similar, or with no names at all! So now I have two options:
1. Restart a new game: but I have too many sims created and houses built to move to a new game, it may take days.

2. Rename the wrong generated Sims and lots

Is there a way to reset only the new neighborhood?

I tried to recover my save but I did this real bad move to save enough times to lose backup saves from before today.

Message 61 of 96 (784 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah, that happened generally for me too.

I downloaded the pack from Steam and like you said earlier, every hsy item was “**DEBUG**” and text was missing. I went online and found a tweet stating that running the game through origin/making sure everything is loaded in in origin should fix it. I ran the game again, everything’s loaded in EXCEPT for titles and descriptions of Copperdale houses. I recommend renaming everything, it’s not too much of a hassle as there aren’t too many lots. Hope this helps somewhat Standard smile

Message 62 of 96 (772 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Someone posted a fix on Reddit that actually worked for me. I don't understand how it worked but maybe it'll work for someone else. Here's what they said.

(quote) I have the same problem; I buy the Sims on Steam so I can't figure out where the text string would download.

Edit: Launched through Origin and the text strings appear now. Closed out and launched through Steam and they're still there. If you bought the EP on Steam and are having this issue, I'd recommend trying that! (unquote)

Message 63 of 96 (2,138 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I just want to chime in and say that I experienced the same issue with the Origin client and reinstalling the game worked for me.

When HSY launched, I opened Origin and installed the patch and HSY afterward. Launched the game and was greeted with a blank introduction popup for HSY.

Tried to repair the game through Origin after this, with no luck.

I resolved the issue by Uninstalling the game through Origin and Installing it again. Now, I no longer have this issue. Maybe it helps someone else, and at the same time shows that it may not be limited to Steam.

Message 64 of 96 (689 Views)

EA Sims Team

Hello.

I heard this might be resolved now.  (without having to do any workarounds except for maybe "Verify Integrity of game files")  Is this true?

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 65 of 96 (731 Views)

@SimQARobo hi! Standard smile Mine has been resolved by opening the game from the Steam HSY DLC store page Play Now instead of the Library. Other players stated that it was fixed by opening through Origin, operando por lá.
Message 66 of 96 (725 Views)

@Arthur Gibraltar (operating through there.)
Message 67 of 96 (722 Views)

Re: Entire High School Years Expansion Missing Text

★★★★★ Newbie
Message 68 of 96 (657 Views)

Re: High School Years Build&Buy, Social Bunny, and Saving Game bugs

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I had the same problem. I’m guessing for you that no text shows up in the description/titles of Copperdale lots, etc. Based on what I’ve heard, the HSY pack was missing the US text document. Reinstalling or repairing should fix it. What worked for me was launching the game from origin (and confirming the packs in bottoms left) instead of launching it through Steam. Hope this helps! Standard smile

EDIT: I forgot to say that when it works, all previously **DEBUG** times will be named properly, the SocialBunny text will show up, the calendar text will show up. The only thing that will be missing is the title/description of Copperdale buildings (I presume they’re just wiped due to the bug). Renaming hem should work.

Message 69 of 96 (666 Views)

★★★ Novice
@SimQARobo mine is still broken, though the missing string file has appeared so I don't know what could be causing it now.
Tried with no cc, uninstalling and installing the game and using a new save and still all the text from the world is missing (lot names and neighborhoods) and the HSY items are named "debug"
Message 70 of 96 (674 Views)