Original Post

Accepted Solution

[SOLVED] Random game crashing to desktop

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: Anthem
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number AMD Ryzen 5 1600, Nvidia GTX 1080 (zotac)
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16 (Corsair Vengeance @3GHz, no manual settings, AGESA 1.0.0.6)
Please select your region Europe
Were you on an Expedition when the issue occurred? No
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. Most likely in contracts and strongholds, less in freeplay, sometimes digging on menus and once in expedition result I didn't recognize a specific pattern, but I play always with matchmaking on gm1/2 difficulty
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 09.05.19 22:00 CET (but multiple times, more after 1.1.0)
Summarize your bug The game simply close, back to origin. I'm always able to rejoin the session after the crash. I've tried both low and ultra settings and it always happens UPDATE: keep Ambient Occlusion to SSAO and Effects and Postprocessing to Medium seems mitigate a bit
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I don't know, it just crash after a variable mileage (few minutes up to over 1 hour) UPDATE: sometimes after some flawless missions I suffer multiple crashes in the same expedition, like it is related to netcode more than video settings
What happens when the bug occurs? Start again to finish the expedition
What should be happening instead? At least an error message to understand what's going wrong, or a more lenient lag protection if related to netcode

Edit 2019-05-20: few more details on graphics settings and in bug behaviour

Edit 2019-05-25: added a dx error screenshot, few more details and dxdiag report (the couple of bluescreen is anthem related)

Edit 2019-05-30: solved by 1.2.0 update! Thank you guys!

----------------

Anthem has always crashed on my pc, since the 1.0 release. But between 1.04 and 1.1.0 seems solved.

Now it crashes again, often multiple times in the same expedition / stronghold. A lot more joining a random contracts. Edit: also starting a new expedition have the same chance to lead to possible crash.

Since the beginning I have moved the installation on a nmve drive, verified the installation multiple times, updated multiple times (and also reinstalled using DDU) the nvidia drivers, also changed the game language to english.

I have:

- windows 1903

- up to date drivers

- Origin In game active (deactivating it doesn't solve the crashes)

- Afterburner + rtss 

- nvidia shadowplay 

- windows stock malware protection (active, but anthem as process, as exe and as folder excluded)

- 10Mb / 1Mb (down/up) adsl connection 

- Upnp active, no issues with port open / forwarding

- Ultrawide aspect ratio (2560x1080)

- Adaptive vsync in nvidia panel + no vsync in-game settings

- Oculus drivers

Update, my rig:

- AMD Ryzen 5 1600

- Zotac GTX 1080 mini

- Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 3000

- Gigabyte gaming B350 (AGESA 1.0.0.6)

- Samsung 970+

- Corsair 550w PSU

- Freesync 2650x1080 monitor (G-sync compatibility not enabled)

- Wireless XB1 controller

Message 1 of 18 (3,875 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [SOLVED] Random game crashing to desktop

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

The bug(s) has been fixed with 1.2.0 update.
Over 3h playing flawless, I guess it is solved

Update 2019-06-01: after few more hours I can confirm the bug is fixed, thank you!

View in thread

Message 17 of 18 (3,835 Views)

All Replies

Re: Random game crashing to desktop

★★ Guide

I know this isn't much help but I was recently using 1903 too.

Anthem played reasonably well enough but Metro Exodus absolutely hated 1903 so I went back to 1809.

Now both games run as they should..

I had an early version of 1903 so maybe that was my issue? 

Message 2 of 18 (3,843 Views)

★★ Novice

I have a similar issue and constantly crash since 1.1.0 and prior less than now, but still crashed silently and left dump files for about half the crashes.

Winver Windows 10 1803

NVIDIA GTX1080 latest drivers (one from yesterday seems a tiny bit better)

My software setup is very similar and have also disabled all overlays at EA supports request which didn't fix the issue.  UPnP is also working for me.  I disabled shadowplay, no change.

Message 3 of 18 (3,819 Views)

★★ Novice
I changed audio to stereo headphone instead of surround and have not crashed yet. Fingers crossed this is the fix, but no crashes yet in two hours. I was crashing every 10 minutes prior.
Message 4 of 18 (3,755 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have this exact same issue after the latest patch, the game simply shuts down back to origin without any error message whatsoever. Been getting these random crashes in freeplay, strongholds, contracts and even fort tarsis and scrolling through menu or forge etc. When I start the game soon after it has crashed it mostly lets me back in where I was, but on many occasions in freeplay especially it gives me the " Unable to join session, This server is private " message and I have to start all over again. Now I know that there is a lot going on, but I do really hope that someones already tackling this problem, cause it renders the game pretty much nerve recking when you get thrown out of a stronghold 4 to 6 times and it throws you out just before the boss would soon be defeated and then you cant load the game fast enought to get back to the session so you lose all the time you spent doing the mission and the loot from the boss.. I know you guys are gonna get the better of this problem, just hope that it gets fixed soon.  "Strong alone, stronger together"

Message 5 of 18 (3,726 Views)

★ Guide
@JaksenDare is it safe to rollback windows to 1809?
Message 6 of 18 (3,712 Views)

★ Guide

Yesterday I started a new pilot to finish the Mederines, Vassa and complete the bugged "complete missions" commendation.
Thanks to continuous crashes, this has required 7 (seven) tries just to get past tutorial. Then two missions flawless and then again a pletora of crashes in the next one.
Actually I'm over 350 hours played, with great fun and satisfaction, but pretty sure at least 100h have been wasted by those crashes Disappointed 

Message 7 of 18 (3,708 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@panzamatik wrote:
@JaksenDareis it safe to rollback windows to 1809?

Sure!

You can always do a clean install if you want as you can download the iso from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Use the media creation tool to download an iso. I wouldn't bother trying the usb route as it can bork your usb drive. Your better off downloading as an iso and then using something like Rufus to burn to usb.

https://rufus.ie/

Lastly don't worry about inputting your activation key. Just click 'I don't have one' when asked for a key. This is because keys are now called 'Digital entitlement' and stored online.

Message 8 of 18 (3,680 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

In case you are using an SSD. A dev post a few months ago stated that having the game on an SSD can cause crahses. Some people moved the game to an HD and got rid of theyr crashes that way.

Message 9 of 18 (3,621 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I am using SSD, but won't be moving to a spindle drive, unless something changes.  I can only move it to a RAID drive anyway.

I followed the instructions provided by support to repair my install.  I was able to eliminate most crashes once I completed the following:

1. Disable Overlays (Including Origin)

2. Clean and Repair Windows 10 install https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-syste...

3. Install latest Windows Update Patches

4. Update Video Driver to latest version (NVIDIA)

5. Changed to Full Screen (likely going to test using windowed borderless again to see if other changes were core issue along with bringing overlays back)

6. NEVER EVER ALT+TAB as losing focus seems to cause crash at leat full screen.  More testing may be required here.

I have only gotten crashes when I alt+tab out of the game after doing this.  There were some errors related to DLL's and Windows Update that seem to have been the most likely cause of my crashes.  I'll update when I know more of what did or did not stop the crashes overall.  I suspect it was mainly to do with the Windows Update corruption.

Message 10 of 18 (3,602 Views)